Windows 10: Is it possible to install 1803 without losing apps, settings and data?

Discus and support Is it possible to install 1803 without losing apps, settings and data? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Like many other Windows 10 users in this forum, 1803 will not install for me. I have made several attempts to track down system settings that might be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sereby, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Sereby Win User

Is it possible to install 1803 without losing apps, settings and data?

Like many other Windows 10 users in this forum, 1803 will not install for me. I have made several attempts to track down system settings that might be preventing the upgrade (like registry errors, Group Policy settings, security software, using the Windows Update troubleshooter, etc.), but have had absolutely no luck. I have tried and failed to upgrade to 1803 at least a dozen times.

My final attempt will be trying to install 1803 directly from an ISO (from Microsoft) on a bootable USB stick. I have spent months tweaking my system and installing applications that I need on a daily basis. My question is: is there a way to install 1803 without losing my installed applications and their settings? I remember being able to do something similar in Win7 where it kept all my apps and only updated the OS.

Please forgive my lack of technical knowledge, and I appreciate any assistance!

:)

Sereby, Sep 4, 2018
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Sep 4, 2018
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    Reinstall windows 10 without losing data

Hi Chris,

It is important to know what was the result of running chkdsk, as this will help us determine if this is a possible hard drive failure. Can you tell us what was the result of chkdsk?

However, if the result did not find any errors, then you can check for corruption in the system files that is preventing your computer from booting up. We suggest that you run the System File Checker tool to address this. Use the installation media to run
    the tool.

• Connect the installation media to your computer and then turn it on.
    • On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next. If you're not seeing the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how
      to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.
    • Select Repair your computer. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Command prompt.
    • Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

• Once done, restart the computer.
    If still your computer is unable to boot up, then we recommend you refresh your PC. You're not going to lose any files as long as you choose this option. However, we cannot guarantee that you're not going to lose any programs. To do this , follow these steps:

• Connect the installation media to your computer and then turn it on.
    • Select Repair your computer. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot >Refresh your PC.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Mark Ole, Sep 4, 2018
  4. Is it possible to install 1803 without losing apps, settings and data?

Unwanted Apps Using Data

Is there a way to stop preinstalled Apps from using up my monthly Metered Data allowance?

In Settings > Apps > Apps & Features there are several preinstalled Apps listed that I will never use. These Apps use an amount of my Data each month, and I believe that I am not able to uninstall them.

In the Screen Shot below, you will see an example of “Email accounts” using 11 MB of Data. I do not consciously use this App as my e-mails from my btinterent.com account are viewed via M.S. Outlook.

Is it possible to install 1803 without losing apps, settings and data? 27820966777_4069a5e501_b.jpg
    Data Usage 310518 sized by Philip Mock, on Flickr

This is what I have done so far regarding trying to stop “Email accounts” from using my Metered Data:

• In Network & Internet, I have “Set as metered connection” turned ON.

• I used PowerShell with the following command in an attempt to disable “Email accounts” from my computer;
    Get-AppxPackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.9029.21675.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe* | Remove-AppxPackage

Sadly, the App is still listed in Data Usage, and consumes some of my monthly Metered Data.

There are other Apps listed in the screen shot that I do not consciously use, which I would also like to block from using my Metered Data such as Cortana & Microsoft Edge - if it is at all possible to disable them.

Pip.

pipmeister, Sep 4, 2018
Thema:

Is it possible to install 1803 without losing apps, settings and data?

1. Is it possible to install 1803 without losing apps, settings and data? - Similar Threads - possible install 1803

2. Install windows without losing all data & apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install windows without losing all data & apps: Currently I'm using Windows 11 Home Single Language Insider preview latest Canary build of July. But I want to upgrade to Win 11 Pro I got a key to activate. Here comes two scenario. From Settings>activation>change key, if I put the key, the error message says like this:...
  3. Install windows without losing all data & apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install windows without losing all data & apps: Currently I'm using Windows 11 Home Single Language Insider preview latest Canary build of July. But I want to upgrade to Win 11 Pro I got a key to activate. Here comes two scenario. From Settings>activation>change key, if I put the key, the error message says like this:...
  4. How to install windows 11 without losing data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install windows 11 without losing data?: Microsoft recently released windows 11, I really like it, like a lotSo I wanted to install but I have no experience like installing a OS.I also found out that if you install any OS, You will lose all your data, Any help?...
  5. Install Windows 10 without losing data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 10 without losing data: Hello there, on friday our customers laptop Asus, Windows 10 couldn't start properly. That was the error message. After a few restarts it booted into the uefi directly. But we can't wipe the device and do a fresh install, because there's data that need to be recovered. So...
  6. Reloading Win10 without losing data or apps

Reloading Win10 without losing data or apps: My Win10 installation is misbehaving in various minor ways. I've run sfc/scannow and that turns out clear. A possible solution is to reinstall windows without disturbing apps and existing data. I found what appears to be a pretty clear video on u-Tube but before I go ahead. I...
  7. Reloading Win10 without losing data or apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Reloading Win10 without losing data or apps: My Win10 installation is misbehaving in various minor ways. I've run sfc/scannow and that turns out clear. A possible solution is to reinstall windows without disturbing apps and existing data. I found what appears to be a pretty clear video on u-Tube but before I go ahead. I...
  8. How to change administrator without losing data or apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change administrator without losing data or apps: Hi All, I bought a new laptop for my family member but they got themselves another one. I have signed in into this one using their Microsoft account, updated the windows have installed various apps etc. Now since they won't be using it, I want to basically make myself...
  9. Installing Windows without losing data on hdd.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows without losing data on hdd.: Can I migrate/fresh install Windows in my nvme SSD without losing data in my hdd. 1tb hdd is almost full and it isn't partitioned (was a bit lazy for that). It's laptop. submitted by /u/physicar [link] [comments]...
  10. installing Windows 10 in an upgraded pc without losing data is that possible?

installing Windows 10 in an upgraded pc without losing data is that possible?: I've just put a new motherboard and processor in my PC and windows 10 wont load, I need to get this running quickly what can I do and will I lose the data and setting I already have?...