Windows 10: Is it possible to install an SSD and move the windows installation?

Discus and support Is it possible to install an SSD and move the windows installation? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi! So, this is what I want to do, if I can! Going to install an SSD in my wife's PC and I really don't want to reinstall Windows if at all possible.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Handler, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Handler Win User

Is it possible to install an SSD and move the windows installation?

Hi!

So, this is what I want to do, if I can!

Going to install an SSD in my wife's PC and I really don't want to reinstall Windows if at all possible.

I'd be nice to be able to move Windows to the SSD and leave all the applications on the HDD and just repair where the applications are.

Alas, I feeling that this just isn't possible?

Most file documents and photos are sync'd to the cloud. The only thing I don't want to do is re-install all the games she has from BigFish and GameHouse. I'd have to listen to her crab about starting the game(s) from square one.

Thanks for any help, tips or tricks!

Windows Version is 2004.

:)

Handler, Jul 11, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jul 11, 2020
  3. Kursah Win User
    SSD Crucial Bx 100 - rattling/vibrating. Possible?

This has been suggested several times already, and it has been suggested you try to move the SSD, remove it, or even suspend it in your case. Will you please try one of these?

If you don't understand vibration and resonance, please refer to @dorsetknob 's post above. *Smile Is it possible to install an SSD and move the windows installation? :) It has been explained that something else moving/vibrating (even if you don't think they're vibrating they are...), fans, hard disk drives, and anything with a motor will cause some form of vibration at certain frequencies. This can be transfered through your case's chassis and where you mounted your SSD could be reaching a certain frequency that causes it to slightly move and rattle against the case.

We are suggesting you take action and report back..you keep asking questions from step 1...we should be on step 4 by now...that is solution.

Try what has been suggested and report back please. Otherwise all you're doing is leading this thread in an endless circle and the help will stop shortly thereafter.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Jul 11, 2020
  4. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Jul 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Is it possible to install an SSD and move the windows installation? - Similar Threads - possible install SSD

2. Move Windows Installation to New SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Windows Installation to New SSD?: Hey all,I'd like to move my Windows 10 installation to a solid state drive I just got. How can I do this while keeping all my user data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-windows-installation-to-new-ssd/20ba14cd-b13e-414c-9081-ba9868e8e29a
  3. Move Windows Installation to New SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move Windows Installation to New SSD?: Hey all,I'd like to move my Windows 10 installation to a solid state drive I just got. How can I do this while keeping all my user data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-windows-installation-to-new-ssd/20ba14cd-b13e-414c-9081-ba9868e8e29a
  4. Move Windows Installation to New SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Is it possible to install windows on a portable ssd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to install windows on a portable ssd?: I was thinking about getting the samsung t5 or something to put windows on there. Is that possible or is the portable ssd just there to store files? Kann man auf einer portable ssd windows installieren?
  6. Moving SSD with Windows 10 installed to a new build?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving SSD with Windows 10 installed to a new build?: Planning on building a new PC fairly soon once the RTX 3080 releases. Probably going to replace everything in my current build with the exception of my three hard drives, one of which is an SSD with Windows installed on it. Is it possible to simply move the SSD to the new...
  7. Is it possible to move windows from HDD to SSD?

Is it possible to move windows from HDD to SSD?: Good morning I will buy a new pc with a hdd and ne ssd soon. Only now when I turn it on and windows 10 is installed I don't know if the OS will install itself into the HDD or SSD but I would like to have the OS in the SSD because it is faster. But if this is installed to...
  8. Is it possible to move a SSD with windows 10 to a new computer?

Is it possible to move a SSD with windows 10 to a new computer?: I have a bit of an oddball question, and am sorry for being a bother. I couldn't think of a proper question in the title that fit. I have two computers at the moment, the newer one with a problem I am attempting to narrow down. But my second computer is incomplete. I want...
  9. W10 installed on SSD. Needs to be moved to HDD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 installed on SSD. Needs to be moved to HDD.: I have Windows 10 on my SSD and I need to get Windows 10 on my HDD so I can remove the SSD while still having a functional Windows 10. It does not have to be the same W10 with all the files settings etc, in fact a clean W10 would be preferrable, however I do not have access...
  10. Moving Windows Installation to SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving Windows Installation to SSD: I recently had to take my computer to the shop because the latest Windows update crashed it. They reinstalled windows and got it working again. However, I noticed that windows had been installed on my hard drive, not on my SSD like it used to be. Not only that, but my SSD...