Windows 10: Is it possible to keeps C boot drive just for windows?

Discus and support Is it possible to keeps C boot drive just for windows? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hallo Is there a method or so software that can prevent applications from being installed in C boot drive? The reason I got an M.2 SSD is not big... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by gremar, Oct 29, 2016.

1. gremar Win User

Is it possible to keeps C boot drive just for windows?

Hallo
    Is there a method or so software that can prevent applications from being installed in C boot drive?
    The reason I got an M.2 SSD is not big and I want it just for window and drivers

Thank you

:)

gremar, Oct 29, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Is it possible to rename SSD C: drive to something else

Hi GG, can you please provide a screenshot of your Disk Management window !

DaveM121, Oct 29, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Oct 29, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. In general no when you install you can choose drive but some files may have to go on c due to windows finding the files in the path

Samuria, Oct 29, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    It's complicated.
    The simplest programs manually installed on D: may exist entirely on D: - except for their start menu entries.
    Most programs create registry keys - the registry exists on C:
    Many programs use working folders which may be in
    - %appdata% on C:
    - Documents, Videos, Photos.... (by default)
    Some programs install drivers- hardware or software- and these exist on C:

Many programs save their setup files on C: e.g. for repair or modification- if you install large programs and many of them, this can take up Gbs of space.

Conclusion: even if you install these on D:, elements will be on C:

Reducing your use of C:
    1. Don't use the default folders Documents, Videos etc- create your own folders and libraries on D: - or some other partition. This is what I do.

Ok, you can relocate these folders, but I've seen people get into some tricky situations having done that.

2. Move the working space or output folders of programs from C: to another partition

3. Move your page file to another drive4. Disable hibernation

5. Check to see how your space is used and act appropriately.6. Relocate your Windows search index to another drive if of significant size

These are basic suggestions. Others will have more and there are further possible steps to reduce the size of the OS.
    Remember that an upgrade will create a folder about the size of your Windows folder, and you still need working space, so plan for this.
    Cumulative updates are large.
    Use Disk Cleanup to help occasionally.

If you physically can, get a larger disk.

My Windows partition is about 75Gb. I keep about 30Gb free and this has been pretty consistent. I have many programs installed. As you can see I have a 256 Gb M2 SSD.

dalchina, Oct 30, 2016
  6. gremar Win User
    Hi Sorry for being late. Thank you for the answer, I found this method
    Which involve tweaking the registry a bit, I don’t know if I am supposed to do that but is working:
    1) Start Registry Editor by entering “Regedit” in the run.
    2) Locate the following:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

3) Right click on the value named ProgramFilesDir & change the default value
    C:\Program Files to the path you want to install all your programs in.
    4) Click OK and Exit.

gremar, Nov 5, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, this is not an advisable thing to do.

It may well cause problems with Windows updates, certainly with Windows upgrades or in-place upgrade repair install.

It is not of great benefit as only the main install folder of programs are moved to (say) D:

The rest of the program using folders in user space on C: and temporary files, and any drivers they may install, plus the installer for the program if retained, are all on C:.

You're far better off installing programs manually to D: - no conflict with Windows that way.

I used to do this a few versions of Windows back and discovered the problems.

dalchina, Nov 5, 2016
  8. gremar Win User

OK thanks for the advice, I had the felling that is unwise solution

gremar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it possible to keeps C boot drive just for windows? - Similar Threads - possible keeps boot

2. Win 10 just keeps filling up C drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 just keeps filling up C drive: Hello,based from what I've seen, probably no one from Microsoft will read or seriously reflect on this, but if you do: Take this as feedback.I've been following guides on how to remove redundant Windows files, I have used patch-cleaner and have been uninstalling pretty much...
  3. Win 10 just keeps filling up C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 just keeps filling up C drive: Hello,based from what I've seen, probably no one from Microsoft will read or seriously reflect on this, but if you do: Take this as feedback.I've been following guides on how to remove redundant Windows files, I have used patch-cleaner and have been uninstalling pretty much...
  4. Win 10 just keeps filling up C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change my C: Drive to just C:\ permanently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change my C: Drive to just C:\ permanently: How do i change my C:\user to C:\ permanently, even when I'm using the command. It always open to User. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-my-c-drive-to-just-c-permanently/11b763b1-ba72-4668-a1c6-50a4ab8b6791
  6. Change my C: Drive to just C:\ permanently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change my C: Drive to just C:\ permanently: How do i change my C:\user to C:\ permanently, even when I'm using the command. It always open to User. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-my-c-drive-to-just-c-permanently/11b763b1-ba72-4668-a1c6-50a4ab8b6791
  7. Windows Repaired drive C on boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Repaired drive C on boot: Hello, I noticed on boot that Windows did some sort of repair to drive C: I didn't manage to see it completely because I came exactly when it finished. It said something about Repairing or Fixing drive C: Now it's a new Samsung 970 Evo NVME. And this drive is already a...
  8. Boot folder on C:/ Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Boot folder on C:/ Drive: There is a boot folder on My C:/ Drive. Inside the boot folder, there is a .db file called alldb located in C:\Boot\sm_da. I am not familier with this folder being on this location [ATTACH] Is this a legimitate folder?...
  9. Possible C drive partion issue.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Possible C drive partion issue.: He Guys, I just decided to do an image of both my PC's and noticed something strange! on one of my PC's as I expected there was a recovery partition and EFI partition as well as the main Boot drive partition all on the same SSD, great. :) However on my other PC when setting...
  10. Is it possible to use Windows "Storage Spaces" for the boot (C) drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to use Windows "Storage Spaces" for the boot (C) drive?: I want redundancy for my primary (C) boot drive and I wanted to use Storage Spaces to do a 2-way mirror, but I can't figure out how to set it up? Is it possible to do it for a primary drive? Specifically one that already contains a Win10 install? I have two identical SSD's....