Windows 10: Is it possible to make a shortcut that restarts a program?

Discus and support Is it possible to make a shortcut that restarts a program? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Short version: Can I make a shortcut that restarts a program? Long version: I absolutely love Windows 10 and am so glad I upgraded! The only bad... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SEC07, Sep 17, 2015.

1. SEC07 Win User

Is it possible to make a shortcut that restarts a program?

Short version: Can I make a shortcut that restarts a program?

Long version: I absolutely love Windows 10 and am so glad I upgraded! The only bad thing about it that I can find so far is that every once in a while the start menu and Cortana will stop working. Well, I did some research and found out that if you go into the task manager and restart "explorer.exe" that it reloads the start menu and Cortana so I tried it and it worked! The only problem now is that I don't want to have to go into the task manager and restart explorer.exe every time so I was wondering... is it possible to make a shortcut that restarts explorer.exe?

Thanks!

:)

SEC07, Sep 17, 2015

2. E71 : Is it possible to make a shortcut to the mail for exchange inbox?

On Eseries device you can assign the Mailbox key to this MfE Inbox.

However, most Nseries devices do not have such a key.

m4e_team_k, Sep 17, 2015
  3. gdigenis Win User
    E71 : Is it possible to make a shortcut to the mail for exchange inbox?

you have to make m4e your default email app. open the messaging app, options, settings, email, set default email acct to m4e.

gdigenis, Sep 17, 2015
  4. Is it possible to make a shortcut that restarts a program?

Why don't you do what I did and I posted about it put the programs you want straight into the Favourites bar and then click straight into them.
    Look at my post Edge Browser

Edge Browser - Windows 10 Forums

hTconeM9user, Sep 17, 2015
  5. WhyMe Win User
    WhyMe, Sep 17, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    Whatever you do don't use a script to restart explorer.exe and right click and run it as Admin. It messes up all your permissions.

Anyway this powershell will stop (and restart) explorer.exe: stop-process -processname explorer

7. LMiller7 Win User
    By default a process will run with the rights and permissions of the process that started it and almost everything you run will be directly or indirectly started by explorer.exe. That would be convenient, but not very secure. That is why the warning.

LMiller7, Sep 18, 2015
  8. XweAponX Win User

Read this: I set up a toggle to start/stop airprint. a couple of good solutions in there, Batch file are still useful!

XweAponX, Sep 18, 2015
  9. caperjack Win User
    makes me wonder ,, if explorer.exe is not working how you gona run the batch file or what ever you create ...

seems to me you need to try and fix what ever is causing explorer to crash..
    maybe start with opening a admin command prompt and typing in , sfc /scannow to see if it finds any thing

caperjack, Sep 18, 2015
  10. WhyMe Win User
    Yes indeed. The problem won't go away by just treating the symptom

WhyMe, Sep 18, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
  12. SEC07 Win User
    The start menu and Cortana not working seems to be a common problem. Everything else is working fine. Any idea what could be wrong?

SEC07, Sep 19, 2015
  13. XweAponX Win User

Check in your event log under "system" and see if it is logging the Explorer crash, it may give the reason there. But Brink's tweak may help until the reason can be found. It's hard to guess what's causing it without any error logs, there usually is an entry for these problems.

XweAponX, Sep 19, 2015
  14. caperjack Win User
    actually i think we are miss reading the first post and what they are saying happens ,,, cortana and search stop working ,not explorer.exe ,, it just says that a restart of explorer fixes(and that makes sense ) the search and cortana issue

caperjack, Sep 19, 2015
  15. SEC07 Win User
    That's exactly what's happening.

SEC07, Sep 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Is it possible to make a shortcut that restarts a program? - Similar Threads - possible shortcut restarts

2. Is it possible to make a shortcut that opens multiple applications at the same time?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to make a shortcut that opens multiple applications at the same time?: For example a shortcut that opens Steam and my browser at the same time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-make-a-shortcut-that-opens/0e183474-3357-4d23-b58b-7b8d580d91e0
  3. Is it possible to make a shortcut that opens multiple applications at the same time?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to make a shortcut that opens multiple applications at the same time?: For example a shortcut that opens Steam and my browser at the same time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-make-a-shortcut-that-opens/0e183474-3357-4d23-b58b-7b8d580d91e0
  4. Is it possible to make a shortcut that opens multiple applications at the same time?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I can not make shortcuts to launch a program from desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can not make shortcuts to launch a program from desktop: Example Razor.exe launch's interface from install location. Cannot create shortcut to desktop ". . . . check to see if the disk is full". C partition has 100 gigs open. Just re-installed program. Other shortcuts don't work. A right click I on desktop under new only shows new...
  6. I can not make shortcuts to launch a program from desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can not make shortcuts to launch a program from desktop: Example Razor.exe launch's interface from install location. Cannot create shortcut to desktop ". . . . check to see if the disk is full". C partition has 100 gigs open. Just re-installed program. Other shortcuts don't work. A right click I on desktop under new only shows new...
  7. Is it possible to make only specific file open with a different program?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to make only specific file open with a different program?: Hello I am using Autohotkey language(or whatevcer that is) for one script I've written the script in notepad and then in properties changed the default program that launches the file to Autohotkey, unsurprisingly all notepad files now try to open with this...
  8. Possible to make a sleep timer shortcut to close Firefox?

Possible to make a sleep timer shortcut to close Firefox?: Similar to a windows timer (Shutdown -s -t 3600) Is it possible to do the same but to only close Firefox? submitted by /u/wozmatic [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i422yg/possible_to_make_a_sleep_timer_shortcut_to_close/
  9. Possible to make a keyboard shortcut that toggles between light and dark mode?

Possible to make a keyboard shortcut that toggles between light and dark mode?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/wozmatic [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gntxxa/possible_to_make_a_keyboard_shortcut_that_toggles/
  10. Possible to make a Shortcut to Windows Defender in Task Scheduler?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible to make a Shortcut to Windows Defender in Task Scheduler?: Nearest clue I could find: Windows Shortcuts | Technoforum . . . TASKSCHD.MSC or CONTROL SCHEDTASKS . . . opens Schedule Tasks manager C:\Windows\System32\taskschd.msc C:\Windows\System32\control.exe schedtasks Is there a way to specify the Path to open? . . . How...