Windows 10: Is it possible to make it dual boot?

Discus and support Is it possible to make it dual boot? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had to replace the Hard Disk on my Lenovo Flex14. I was running it in dual boot - Win10 and Linux. I set up the entire drive under NTFS. Now is it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sgiitk, Jun 3, 2016.

1. sgiitk Win User

Is it possible to make it dual boot?

I had to replace the Hard Disk on my Lenovo Flex14. I was running it in dual boot - Win10 and Linux. I set up the entire drive under NTFS. Now is it possible to make it dual boot.

Also, I am on Win10 Single Language (ie Home). Is there any way to run a virtual machine in this. My accounting software is bombing out with an insufficient memory error. From the web I find that most probably it is unhappy with some printer driver. So if I can set up a Virtul Machine or run Wine under Linux then I should be OK.

:)

sgiitk, Jun 3, 2016

2. is it possible to Dual boot, dual drive Windows 7 & Windows 10

Just reboot to switch between the version of Windows you are currently using and the Windows 10. The concept is the same for the released version of Windows 10 as it is for the Preview builds / versions.

How to dual boot Windows 10 Preview with Windows 8.1
    http://www.pagestart.com/win81dbwin10tp0112151.html

How to uninstall or remove Windows 10 from a Windows 8.1 dual boot computer
    http://www.pagestart.com/win81rmovwin100105151.html

How to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 Technical Preview
    http://www.pagestart.com/win7win10tpdb10121401.html

How to uninstall or remove Windows 10 from a Windows 7 dual boot computer
    http://www.pagestart.com/win7rmovewin100105151.html

How to dual boot Windows 10 Technical Preview with Windows Vista:
    http://www.pagestart.com/vistadbwin10tp1218141.html

How to dual boot Windows 10 Technical Preview with Windows XP
    http://www.pagestart.com/winxpdbwin10tp1206141.html

:
    http://www.pagestart.com

J W Stuart, Jun 3, 2016
  3. is it possible to Dual boot, dual drive Windows 7 & Windows 10

I have a laptop with two hard drives, one has Windows 7 Pro installed with the license key for the machine and on the second drive which the Windows 7 does not know about i want to install Windows 10 using a different license. Is this possible without
    the product keys clashing.

Feargalo shea, Jun 3, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Did you really? I dual boot with Arch and I'm almost 100% certain that you can't boot Linux on NTFS. I use BTRFS (rather than ext4). If you can get Linux to boot on NTFS then you are cleverer than me *Smile

Yes you can. You can get either VirtualBox or VMWare for free and assuming your PC has a CPU manufactured in the last 10 or 20 years (with VT-x) it will work fine. You can't use Hyper-V as you need Windows Pro for that.

I prefer VirtualBox myself as I like running VMs headless - most other people on this forum seem to prefer VMware. There isn't really much difference unless you want to get very teckie about it though so whatever you prefer. Both are quite easy to use and you could look into this tutorial if you like. VMware Player - Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

lx07, Jun 3, 2016
  5. sgiitk Win User
    1. This is why I am cribbing. So Linux is out. My option has to be Windows VM.

2. I downloaded both. Now I will have to download a new Win10SL and then work from there. Installing from my 5 month old copy may involve a lot of updates. I may even try and go to a Win 7 Pro I have, but on hindsight Win10 it may be. What do you mean by running the VM headless?

sgiitk, Jun 3, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    I'd recommend that you install 10. You can activate it direct with your 7 Pro key (7 pro key would activate 10 Pro not 10 SL).

The reason is that if you install 7 it will then download approximately 76 billion updates and with the best internet connection in the world it will take ages. Unless you prefer 7 of course.

A headless VM is one you run without a screen by the way. You might want to do that to run a web server or something. I run a CENTOS VM to run my transmission client as I don't like doing torrents on my PC. With VirtualBox (or Hyper-V) you can start a VM headless. With the free version of VMWare you can't - you have to have a console window open.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Make your VM disk a VHD and then you can use it with anything.

lx07, Jun 3, 2016
  7. sgiitk Win User
    As it happened while I got VM Ware VM did not download properly so the decision is made by a higher force.

I may do better. I think I have about 80GB of unassigned disk space. So I will activate some of it and then install the VM there. A separate 'drive'.

Let me try one of these days. I think I will get Win10SL I already have to do the honours.

sgiitk, Jun 4, 2016
  8. sgiitk Win User

I have partitioned 50GB as another 'drive', G: in my case. Also, I have a copy of my Win10_SL_GB install (1511) on a pen drive. Now I will install VM_Ware or Virtual_Box (please give your reco since this is my first foray in this area) then install Win_10_SL there under a modified name - say Win10_VM. I guess the same license info will be picked up from MS.

Any suggestions, before I fly off into the unknown!

sgiitk, Jun 4, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    The Windows 10 that you install in the virtual machine will not have any license to pick up. It will not be activated. Unless you have a product key specifically for Single Language Edition, you won't be able to activate it. Another question is, what operating system are you going to use to host the Virtual Machine?

NavyLCDR, Jun 4, 2016
  10. sgiitk Win User
    I will be running under Win10Single Language. I have the key and also the software for Win 7 Pro (academic license) so probably have an activation still available. I cam do that or maybe even drop back to WinXP.

sgiitk, Jun 4, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    So, I am confused.... why run Windows 10 Single Language in a virtual machine hosted by Windows 10 Single Language?

NavyLCDR, Jun 4, 2016
  12. sgiitk Win User
    The reason is that my accounting software is not running. Looking around it seems it is unhappy with the Samsung SCX-3400 MF Printer install. It is bombing out with an out of memory error. I think by setting up a VM I should be able to bypass this. The software is a very popular one in India - named Tally.

sgiitk, Jun 4, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

It will be interesting to see how that works out, then!

NavyLCDR, Jun 4, 2016
  14. sgiitk Win User
    I am trying to get a WinXP Install under our Academic License. As I have retired I have to rely on colleagues. I just junked my set of CDs/DVDs before quitting.

sgiitk, Jun 4, 2016
  15. sgiitk Win User
    Since this is my first attempt I am having problems.

VirtualBox installs fine, but then how do I configure, and install my WinXPPro in it.
    VMWare was looking or some files. But seems to have installed now.

I have Win10SL and will be installing WinXPPro 32-bit.

sgiitk, Jun 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Is it possible to make it dual boot? - Similar Threads - possible dual boot

2. Is it possible to dual boot windows Vista and windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to dual boot windows Vista and windows 10?: Hi, I was trying to dual boot windows Vista and windows 10. But windows Vista crashes every time I try to boot it up, no boot screen just an instant BSOD but when windows Vista did not have another OS it booted up like normal. The System I tried it on was a Dell Optiplex 3020...
  3. Is it possible to make dual boot and install windows 8.1 with windows 10 ? windows 10 is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to make dual boot and install windows 8.1 with windows 10 ? windows 10 is...: Spent days hours to try to running battlefield bad company 2 again and nothing worked.When installed windows 7 as the installing started the keyboards and mouse didn't work.When installed windows 8.1 I could install the game and play it but windows 8.1 never gave me the...
  4. Is it possible to make dual boot and install windows 8.1 with windows 10 ? windows 10 is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to make dual boot and install windows 8.1 with windows 10 ? windows 10 is...: Spent days hours to try to running battlefield bad company 2 again and nothing worked.When installed windows 7 as the installing started the keyboards and mouse didn't work.When installed windows 8.1 I could install the game and play it but windows 8.1 never gave me the...
  5. Is it possible to make dual boot and install windows 8.1 with windows 10 ? windows 10 is...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Need to make Dual Boot with 10th GEN

Need to make Dual Boot with 10th GEN: Ok so here it is. I have a New HP 1tb that I want to partition the SSD into 3 partitions and install Windows 10 Pro on each partition and have a dual boot computer. I have an older computer that I had done this to with no problems. So here is my problem. I have created mt new...
  7. 2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?

2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?: I have already checked that the process to upgrade my Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit laptop to the equivalent Win 10 runs smoothly keeping almost every application and all data perfect. The point is that I have a rather complex (for me) configuration in an HP system with two Win...
  8. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?: I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether. 144144
  9. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?: I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether. 144144
  10. Is it possible to transfer files through dual boot?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is it possible to transfer files through dual boot?: Hello! This is my first post on the forum. I want some help about how dual boot works. My PC is running Windows 10, but I'm having some problems with the OS and I need to format it, but my Desktop does not have CD/DVD drive and I need to create a bootable pen drive. This is...