Windows 10: Is it possible to mirror Windows 10 devices without a WiFi network?

Discus and support Is it possible to mirror Windows 10 devices without a WiFi network? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Not sure if what I am trying to do is possible. If I have two Windows 10 tablets and want to mirror the screens, do they need to both be on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by nswmuk, Jun 19, 2016.

1. nswmuk Win User

Is it possible to mirror Windows 10 devices without a WiFi network?

Hi

Not sure if what I am trying to do is possible.

If I have two Windows 10 tablets and want to mirror the screens, do they need to both be on the same WiFi network or can this somehow be done directly between the devices?

I have head about something called WiDi and Miracast but not sure how to best use these.

If I were to take the two tablets I have out and about and wanted them to show the same screen wirelessly somehow is this possible? If not, could a cable be used - if so would this be HDMI? Ideally I would like a wireless solution if this exists.

I've heard the new build of Windows 10 might have improved screen sharing possibilities.

Is what I am wanting to do possible at all.

Any help or guidance would be great.

Thanks in advance.

:)

nswmuk, Jun 19, 2016

2. Is it possible to install Windows 10 without a USB drive or DVD after purchasing it?

You can boot to the Windows 8.1 desktop, even in its expired state, download the .ISO file for Windows 10, mount it and perform either an upgrade or new install.

Step 1:
    How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2: Double click the ISO then launch setup.exe to start the installation from within Windows 10:

How to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using
    Windows 10 ISO file

Andre Da Costa, Jun 19, 2016
  3. JCRey Win User
    Is it possible to install Windows 10 without a USB drive or DVD after purchasing it?

I had my PC built months ago and had a trial version of Windows 8.1 installed. It had expired and about a day or two later (yesterday) I have purchased Windows 10 Pro software. I tried to install it but I can't seem to figure out how. I didn't think I need
    a USB drive or DVD to install it. I thought it would direct me somewhere and then ask me for my product key. Just to be clear, I've bought Win 10 after my trial expired. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or what. But if I actually need to spend
    extra for a drive/DVD, I would have bought the upgrade at a store.

So I need help with this. Is there a way I can install this upgrade without a drive? I figured it would be an internal installation and wouldn't need one. Thank you for the reply.

JCRey, Jun 19, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello nswmuk, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If the wireless display (ex: TV) supports Miracast and is turned on for the device, then you'll be able to directly connect to the wireless display from your tablet if your tablet also supports Miracast.

Connect to Wireless Display with Miracast in Windows 10

If they don't, then yes you will still be able to connect the display to the tablet via HDMI cable to project (Win+P) the tablet's screen to the other display.

Brink, Jun 19, 2016
  5. nswmuk Win User
    Hi Brink

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I'm fairly tech savvy but still struggling with this. I think the issue is that almost all the guides focus on Miracast to TV, etc. whereas I want to mirror two Windows 10 tablets - one to another.

I'm pretty sure they do support Miracast (they are brand new). But following the instructions on the link you sent (Connect to Wireless Display with Miracast in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums) - "To see if your Windows 10 computer (PC, laptop, or tablet) supports Miracast, you can open the Connect app to see what it reports like below." - I presume this means the 'Connect' setting in the charms menu. I click this and it comes up with 'searching for wireless display and audio devices', waits then shows none are discoverable (ie - it cannot seem to find the other tablet). Not sure how to even double-check Miracast is supported.

What I can't understand is whether I need a Miracast dongle/receiver on one of the tablets or whether it should work without one. Do I have to make each device discoverable somehow?

Thanks for the help.

nswmuk, Jun 21, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It would the "Connect" app from Start menu like below. Is this what you opened?

Is it possible to mirror Windows 10 devices without a WiFi network? [​IMG]

Brink, Jun 21, 2016
  7. nswmuk Win User
    Hi Brink. I seemingly don't have that App installed.

Fresh(ish) install of Windows 10. Version 1511 OS Build 10586.318

nswmuk, Jun 21, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I just did some checking, and it appears that the "Connect" app is currently only available in the Insider builds, but will be available in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update at the end of July.

You might see if this below may help to verify Miracast support instead.

Wireless Display Verify Miracast Support - Windows 8.1 HCK

Of course, the easiest way to tell is to try and connect to the wireless display. If the wireless display doesn't show up, then either the PC or wireless display may not support Miracast.

Brink, Jun 21, 2016
  9. nswmuk Win User
    Thanks again, Brink.

Couldn't really get my head around the instructions on that link but found this: Check If Your Windows PC Supports Miracast - iThinkDifferent and both devices (they are identical tablets) do have Miracast.

As I said before, I just can't seem to 'discover' either device to cast to.

I had heard that the Anniversary edition (I guess that is 'Redstone'?) might make this better and in line with the options you see.

I had hoped to be able to do this before that is released and still can't work out what I need to do to mirror the screens. So Miracast is supported but when I go to either tablet and 'Connect' or 'Project' it can't find the other device. Any ideas?

nswmuk, Jun 21, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The wireless display may not support Miracast then. You'll have to check its manual to see if it does. If it doesn't, then you can use something like the wireless display adapter below to connect to the wireless display with Miracast.

https://www.microsoft.com/accessorie...er-2/p3q-00001

For now, you will still be able to connect the tablets directly to the display via HDMI if you like though.

Brink, Jun 21, 2016
  11. nswmuk Win User
    Hi again, Brink

HDMI is my fallback but what I don't understand is that if I have two Windows 10 tablets that are both Miracast enabled, how come I can't cast from one to the other? I'm still not sure if this should be possible or whether I would need a Miracast dongle on the receiving tablet like Wireless Display Adapter | Microsoft Hardware to make it work. I would have thought it would be able to receive without one. Do you think I would need something like this to make this work?

nswmuk, Jun 21, 2016
  12. nswmuk Win User
    I'm now looking at the hard wired option here using HDMI. Both tablets have a micro-HDMI connection but there appears to be hardly any Micro-HDMI to Micro-HDMI cables around. Would this even work? There must be a way to connect two Windows 10 tablets so the screen can be mirrored. Seems like this is a lot harder than I thought it would have been. Any help appreciated.

nswmuk, Jul 3, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

You would need to check to see if the micro-HDMI connection on the tablets are for output only, or if thay can be used for both output and input.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it possible to mirror Windows 10 devices without a WiFi network? - Similar Threads - possible mirror devices

2. How to Mirror Display without Flipping?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Mirror Display without Flipping?: Hello,Just wondering if it is possible to mirror the display WITHOUT flipping it upside down?The closest I can find is to go to "Display Settings > Display Orientation > Landscape flipped", but I do not want the screen to be upside down as well.Any options?Thanks!...
  3. Is it possible on a home network to share an audio device?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible on a home network to share an audio device?: I recently bought my wife a Sony USB Vinyl record player and it's in the front room, It comes up as Line In, I want to know if there is a way for me to share it so that I can play the audio in the bedroom as well without having to move it....
  4. Ethernet, WiFi and Mirroring

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet, WiFi and Mirroring: My computer is connected to my network via an ethernet cable. I have Wi-Fi used for phones, tables, printers, etc. I want to mirror my Win 10 PC to my TV, which has a ROKU device. I presume I would need Wi-Fi from the ethernet connected PC to the TV. How do I go about this?...
  5. Possible to create a private identified network without a gateway?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possible to create a private identified network without a gateway?: I'm trying setup a point to point network (PC to PC) on a secondary interface. I would not this to be a private network and not have all the firewall/guest network policies. Is this possible? Can I name the network so it doesn't show as Unidentified?...
  6. Is it possible for a WiFi network to block a VPN?

Is it possible for a WiFi network to block a VPN?: I'm trying to connect my VPN at school so I can listen to Spotify, but I can't connect it. I'm using XVPN on a Dell Inspiron. submitted by /u/Denver_Stylee [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fcwx86/is_it_possible_for_a_wifi_network_to_block_a_vpn/
  7. Change Windows 10 WiFi password WITHOUT FORGETTING NETWORK

Change Windows 10 WiFi password WITHOUT FORGETTING NETWORK: Is it just me or does Windows 10 make it an absolute nightmare to change a previously saved password? Unfortunately we have rotating ridiculous passwords like: L<[_[)hKZs==wMW`2qB/ysE4Cr$L]~nJdG@_(CyHQP.7UxuyUaj&F{tD~?zdQ But it also requires a user ID that is complex -...
  8. Formatting a mirrored 6TB disk not possible?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formatting a mirrored 6TB disk not possible?: HI, I need to format two 6TB hdd as mirrored disks. These disks are not used as OS, just for data. The disk manager goves me an error message: "The action is not possible for the object". I can only format it as simple disk or as minimized disk. I am using several mirrored...
  9. Possible Network/Device Infection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible Network/Device Infection: Hi, recently i noticed a command prompt window (terminal shell script) running a script on startup occasionally. After noticing this occurrence multiple times on multiple devices, i decided to reformat my machine. After reformatting my machine, the same instance happened one...
  10. Windows 10 possible network issues?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 possible network issues?: Currently have Windows 7 machines running with no issues, specifically with an application that's available only on the local LAN. Upgraded two machines to Windows 10 and now this same application is crashing if left idle for say an hour (time hasn't been exactly determined...