Windows 10: is it possible to power down 2nd hard disk only

Discus and support is it possible to power down 2nd hard disk only in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I want to "power down" my newly installed INTERNAL "second" sata HDD (used for videos, photos, music) when it is not being used. Is this even possible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by freeflow, Sep 1, 2018.

1. freeflow Win User

is it possible to power down 2nd hard disk only

I want to "power down" my newly installed INTERNAL "second" sata HDD (used for videos, photos, music) when it is not being used. Is this even possible to "power down" only the 2nd HDD and not the main HDD??Is there 3rd party software that can do this?
    I am using windows 10 pro and checked in the advanced power safe section, but can not find to just turn of one hard disk.
    thanks

:)

freeflow, Sep 1, 2018

2. 2nd hard disk not available after installing windows 10

Your first step must be to check if the disk is visible in the BIOS.

Frederik Long, Sep 1, 2018
  3. 2nd hard disk

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (Admin)

At the Command Prompt, type: diskpart

Hit Enter

Type: list volume

Hit Enter

This will list all hard disks including your new drive.

Type: select disk #

# represents the number the volume new hard disk

Type: clean

convert mbr

create partition primary

active

format quick fs=ntfs

exit

exit

Andre Da Costa, Sep 1, 2018
  4. SWT_13 Win User

2nd Hard Drive Powers Down Automatically

I recently installed an SSD in my laptop on which I installed Windows 10. The SSD became Disk 0 and the existing 1TB HDD Disk 1. I have gone into advanced power settings and selected "Never turn of the hard disk" when connected to the mains, yet I can hear
    the drive power down and, more annoyingly, spin up whenever I go to access it.

Since the SSD is only 120GB, games etc. are kept on the HDD (which still has Windows 8 and I can successfully boot into it or Windows 10) and in games that don't make regular accesses in rapid enough intervals, this issue is causing some severe lags, as
    game has to wait for the drive to spin up, grab it's data after which it almost instantaneously powers back down again. I never experienced such a thing in any previous version of Windows, and between this and windows not coming to the front when selected,
    I am finding Windows 10 a MAJOR step backward.

If it were not for the sudden messages about Windows 8 no longer being updated (and fear of upgrading to 8.1 after seeing all the issues people had with this laptop model when that happened) I would not be fooling with Windows 10. Already many games are
    running significantly less smoothly under Windows 10 and the constant powering down of the 2nd hard drive where they are installed is making it a game breaker.

How can I stop the 2nd SATA HDD from powering down a few seconds after it is accessed?

SWT_13, Sep 1, 2018
Thema:

1. is it possible to power down 2nd hard disk only - Similar Threads - possible power down

2. 2nd external hard disk doesn't show up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2nd external hard disk doesn't show up: 2nd external hard disk doesn't show up in my PC. Any idea would be much apprciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2nd-external-hard-disk-doesnt-show-up/2b5501c4-a4e4-4637-a7a6-b28c8fa30350
  3. 2nd external hard disk doesn't show up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2nd external hard disk doesn't show up: 2nd external hard disk doesn't show up in my PC. Any idea would be much apprciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2nd-external-hard-disk-doesnt-show-up/2b5501c4-a4e4-4637-a7a6-b28c8fa30350
  4. It Possible to tranfer os from hard disk to ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    It Possible to tranfer os from hard disk to ssd: NOW I AM USING WIN10PRO WHICH IS INSTALLED IN MY NORMAL HARD DISK. AS MY SYSTEM IS GETTING SLOW I WISH TO CHANGE MY HARD DISK TO SSD. SO IS IT POSSIBLE TO TRANFER MY ORIGINAL WIN10PRO TO THE SSD. IF YES HOW...
  5. How to spin down hard disk permanently?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to spin down hard disk permanently?: I've used revospin,hdd scan and crystal disk info to spin it down. But it automatically spins up after some times. Any way to permanently spin down the hdd? (Hdd doesn't contain os. It's for storage) submitted by /u/pink_wiz [link] [comments]...
  6. Win10 freezed, only hard-restart possible

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 freezed, only hard-restart possible: Hey there, thanks for your support. On my server there's an issue popping upevery few days. It just freezes and isn't responding in any way. The only way of fixing is by hard-restating it. SERVER-(2020-09-27_14-26-35).zip Win-Version: 19041.508 Could you please help me?...
  7. Win10 freezed, only hard-restart possible

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 freezed, only hard-restart possible: Hey there, thanks for your support. On my server there's an issue popping upevery few days. It just freezes and isn't responding in any way. The only way of fixing is by hard-restating it. SERVER-(2020-09-27_14-26-35).zip Win-Version: 19041.508 Could you please help me?...
  8. 2nd Clipboard possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    2nd Clipboard possible?: I use Cntl-C and Cntl-V a lot but need to paste 2 things, one of which is a constant bit of text. Is there any way to assign this to another Key? So it will permenantly paste that text, leaving C & V to do the other bit? 150135
  9. System Error possibly on Power Down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Error possibly on Power Down: My PC seems to take a very long time to switch off. Plus I am seeing an error on the screen just before it shutdown. So exploring Event Viewer to try and track down these errors. I see the following Error: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local...
  10. Windows10 pro 64bit will not recognize 2nd hard disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows10 pro 64bit will not recognize 2nd hard disk: Hi I just upgraded my hard disk and connected the old one on second sata port. I checked in the bios and it recognised there, but windows does not find it at all, not in device manager, Disk Management or with the trouble shooter. When I boot up with a "disk repair/rescue...