Windows 10: Is it possible to prevent windows from auto detecting second monitor!?

Discus and support Is it possible to prevent windows from auto detecting second monitor!? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I was wondering if there is any way to prevent windows to automatically detect a second monitor attached. In my case it's a TV and whenever I turn my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by rezpower, Nov 7, 2017.

1. rezpower Win User

Is it possible to prevent windows from auto detecting second monitor!?

I was wondering if there is any way to prevent windows to automatically detect a second monitor attached.
    In my case it's a TV and whenever I turn my TV on the PC display goes out for a second and comes back setting
    itself to Dual or extended mode. I would love to prevent this from happening as most of the time I am not going
    to project on the TV. It would be nice to be able to manually change from PC ONLY display, to Extend, Duplicate or
    second screen only, depending on your needs.

:)

rezpower, Nov 7, 2017
  2. MartinRJ Win User

Prevent Auto Monitor Detection

Thanks for sharing this clever workaround.

Sadly this doesn't work for my scenario, because all 4 available ports on my GPU are already inuse.

MartinRJ, Nov 7, 2017
  3. HF_Evans Win User
    Prevent Auto Monitor Detection

Agreed!

This is obviously an issue with Windows OS itself and the way it handles these connections. (Display-port and HDMI)

This needs to be solved as It's just unacceptable to deal with!

HF_Evans, Nov 7, 2017
  4. rezpower Win User

Thanks for the fast move MR super moderator. This is not a graphic card issue or problem! Its a general windows behavior.
    But still nice that you like to keep the place so tidy.

rezpower, Nov 7, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    It's still a function of GPU driver, must have some settings there.

CountMike, Nov 7, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    Just disconnect the tv if you don`t use it that often, that`s all I do. Takes 1 second to remove the HDMI cable.

Maybe uncheck one of the monitors here in the nvidia control panel, as suggested.

AddRAM, Nov 7, 2017
  7. rezpower Win User
    Thanks for the responses. Unchecking the TV dose not work because as soon as you turn on the tv it automatically recheck and enables it.
    Yes indeed removing hdmi cable could be a solution. But it's hardly accessible behind my desk and also I watch at least one movie every night on my TV. So it's not that practical to disconnect and reconnect every day.
    I searched for an answer on the net and did not find a solution, so I knew there is not a simple one click answer. I was just hoping that one of the advanced users here would come up with a solution (registry edit or .....)

rezpower, Nov 7, 2017
  8. Is it possible to prevent windows from auto detecting second monitor!?

Just press the Windows logo key *Start and P on your keyboard and select PC Screen Only. And when you do want to use it, do it again and select Extend etc. I just put shortcuts on my taskbar. I switch to PC only when gaming and back to Extend when done. Just the one mouse click to switch modes.

alphanumeric, Nov 9, 2017
  9. Helmut Win User
    Another way, 3 clicks.
    Click Notifications > Project > PC screen only.
    You can customise what appears in there by going to Settings > System > Notifications & actions.
    Another way
    Settings > Display > Multiple Displays
    The Windows way should remember your last settings.

Helmut, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it possible to prevent windows from auto detecting second monitor!? - Similar Threads - possible prevent auto

2. Second monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor not detected: Split from this thread. I do not have any of these options on my computer. I wish I had never upgraded to Windows 11 this monitor problem has made my working life very difficult. I have to have a laptop open and my pc on so I can open items on 2 screens. Cannot move things...
  3. Second monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second monitor not detected: Split from this thread. I do not have any of these options on my computer. I wish I had never upgraded to Windows 11 this monitor problem has made my working life very difficult. I have to have a laptop open and my pc on so I can open items on 2 screens. Cannot move things...
  4. Second monitor not detected

Second monitor not detected: Split from this thread. I have problem after Windows 11 installation [with second monitor not being detected]. I noticed this after the 22H2 update. I have tried all options above.The same laptop, same hdmi port, same cable works with a brand new ASUS monitor we purchased....
  5. Second monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor not detected: Split from this thread. I have problem after Windows 11 installation [with second monitor not being detected]. I noticed this after the 22H2 update. I have tried all options above.The same laptop, same hdmi port, same cable works with a brand new ASUS monitor we purchased....
  6. Second monitor is not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor is not detected: So I have 2 monitorssame model and one of them when I try to connect to my laptop it's not detected . I have only 1 hdmi port currently waiting for a docking to be deliveredWhat I've tried:1change the cable with one that I know it works2Connect it to a different laptop mac...
  7. Second monitor is not detected

Second monitor is not detected: So I have 2 monitorssame model and one of them when I try to connect to my laptop it's not detected . I have only 1 hdmi port currently waiting for a docking to be deliveredWhat I've tried:1change the cable with one that I know it works2Connect it to a different laptop mac...
  8. Second monitor is not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. [Help]How to Prevent Monitor Auto Detection on Win10(MultiMonitor)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Help]How to Prevent Monitor Auto Detection on Win10(MultiMonitor): submitted by /u/atarraxia [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ew8fmv/helphow_to_prevent_monitor_auto_detection_on/
  10. Second monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second monitor not detected: After upgrade to Windows 10 Pro version 1809 my 2nd monitor is not detected. Updating display drivers for Intel HD graphics 4000 and Nvidia Geforce 710m graphics cards did not solve the problem. Rolled back to version 1803 and everything works fine. My laptop is an Acer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Clearing display cache cant detect any monitors

2. windows prevent monitor from auto detecting