Windows 10: Is it possible to repair a motherboard that has been shorted?

Discus and support Is it possible to repair a motherboard that has been shorted? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a rare motherboard that isn't in production that you can't find anywhere and i was wondering if thought any way possible can i find out what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by xdarkmario, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Is it possible to repair a motherboard that has been shorted?

I have a rare motherboard that isn't in production that you can't find anywhere and i was wondering if thought any way possible can i find out what chip shorted and replace it? I have seen a video where a guy used a multi meter to see where the board electricity stopped and he soldered it off and replaced a small capacitor and the board worked again. . And yes it is worth fixing for me.

Is it possible to repair a motherboard that has been shorted? [​IMG]

:)

xdarkmario, Nov 6, 2016
  2. Andreiaz. Win User

Is it possible to use a store account that is not the same as the main account

Hi Morphus,

Thank you for posting at the community.

Do you mean on windows phone 8?

If yes, the answer is no, your store account will be the primary account entered on the phone.

Regards,

Andreiaz

Andreiaz., Nov 6, 2016
  3. morphus Win User
    Is it possible to use a store account that is not the same as the main account

If it's possible to make a suggestion. It should be like it's on Windows 8, such that you can have an account for the phone, and an account for the store, or allow multiple account to share the same store purchase.

morphus, Nov 6, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Is it possible to repair a motherboard that has been shorted?

Possible? Yes.
    Practical?

Component level diagnostics is difficult and time consuming for a skilled technician.

LMiller7, Nov 6, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    This is probably impossible without having a logic state analyser and detailed fault finding guide. Even if you located the faulty chip, could you source and replace it without damaging other components?

Steve C, Nov 6, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    I agree with the others, much more cost-effective to just get a new computer. The problem with a new motherboard is it may not accept your CPU and Memory, raises the cost. And if the board was damaged was that limited to only the board and not the power suppy, CPU and RAM or other devices?

Berton, Nov 6, 2016
  7. Is this the motherboard for a CyberpowerPc Laptop Fangbook HX6-100? because i have the same issue, were you able to fix it? if so please help me! im in need for answers since my warranty wore off, what other motherboards you recommend me to buy or which ones are compatible with the laptop mentioned before

mysterymobo, Nov 29, 2016
  8. Is it possible to repair a motherboard that has been shorted?

The odds of your fault, being identical to the OP's fault, are pretty slim. Unless there is a common known issue with that make and model. If there was, a Google search should have turned it up. And even if you know where the fault is, unless its a simple fix, a diode, resistor, capacitor, the average Joe isn't going to be able to do it. You need specialized equipment to replace an IC that is SMT. Surface Mount Technology. Even removing a diode or resistor is tricky without damaging anything in the process. I wouldn't want to tackle it with regular PC repair tools.

alphanumeric, Nov 29, 2016
  9. Thank you so much for your answer, i left my laptop in a repair shop, hopefully they are qualified! if not should i buy a new motherboard?

mysterymobo, Nov 30, 2016
  10. Steve C Win User
    You could try buying a matching motherboard off Ebay so you can reuse your CPU and memory. Otherwise you will probably need a new motherboard, CPU & memory! Then Windows may not activate?

Steve C, Nov 30, 2016
  11. Replacing a motherboard in a laptop is tricky business. It has to be an exact match or it won't fit in the case. Even a model or two older or newer and it may not fit, and or the cables won't line up. It's not cheap either. It's no so easy to take it all apart like it is with a desktop PC. Most of the time its not economically viable. It's just cheaper to buy a new laptop.

alphanumeric, Nov 30, 2016
  12. Oh no, my laptop was really pricey, $1000 USD to be more specific, i can't believe this, thank you so much for your replies it really helped me a lot, guess I will never ever again buy a single item from CyberpowerPC. Thank you again.

mysterymobo, Dec 1, 2016
  13. Is it possible to repair a motherboard that has been shorted?

Its a risk reward type of scenario.
    You could buy a used motherboard, hope it works and fits, and do the swap yourself. If it works you saved a bunch. If it doesn't your back to square one, minus all the time it took.
    Or pay a tech to do it. It will be working in the end, but at what cost? The labor won't be cheap and its no quick job. It takes time to do it right. Especially if your moving the CPU from one board to the other. There is cleanup of the old thermal past/pad and new stuff to apply.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is it possible to repair a motherboard that has been shorted?

1. Is it possible to repair a motherboard that has been shorted? - Similar Threads - possible repair motherboard

2. Baseboard Product INVALID after motherboard has been replaced

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Baseboard Product INVALID after motherboard has been replaced: Motherboard has been replaced on a Lenovo Legion 5i 6th Gen Laptop. Lenovo has rebrand Serial Number and Product Number of this device but there is one piece of information that they can help me with, that is the Baseboard Product Number. Is there a possible way to manually...
  3. Baseboard Product INVALID after motherboard has been replaced

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Baseboard Product INVALID after motherboard has been replaced: Motherboard has been replaced on a Lenovo Legion 5i 6th Gen Laptop. Lenovo has rebrand Serial Number and Product Number of this device but there is one piece of information that they can help me with, that is the Baseboard Product Number. Is there a possible way to manually...
  4. HP Envy PSU/Motherboard Shorted?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HP Envy PSU/Motherboard Shorted?: Hello I have a HP ENVY that I use for work and to game sometimes so I decided to buy a GTX 1660 Super for it. Unfortunately the PSU was only 190W so it wasn’t enough to power both the graphics card and the pc itself. So I bought an external 430W PSU and connected it solely to...
  5. is it possible to check when your laptop has been startup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is it possible to check when your laptop has been startup?: wonder if there is any log to check these things? check that what time the laptop startup and what it did. submitted by /u/alotquestion_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i4qgrl/is_it_possible_to_check_when_your_laptop_has_been/
  6. windows 10 update after motherboard has been changed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 update after motherboard has been changed: Can't update Windows 10 after motherboard has been changed, stuck with 1607 build. Any ideas how can i upgrade? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-after-motherboard-has-been/d8d40a0d-ce8e-46a6-b3e4-b0bcb9882e4c
  7. ASUS motherboard and 3 short beeps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ASUS motherboard and 3 short beeps: Anyone knows what does it mean? I read about 1 long + 3 short, but I have continuous 3 short beeps. Thought it's RAM, but tried other memory and nothing changes. Changing the slots does nothing as well. Thought, for a moment, that it's problem with GPU, but tried without it...
  8. Lost Product Key & motherboard has been replaced

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost Product Key & motherboard has been replaced: I lost my product key to a laptop that the motherboard has also been replaced. where & how can i find my product key and how can i activate my windows 10? I have all the digits of the key except the 5 digits. Please help...
  9. Windows 10 not activated after Motherboard died and new motherboard has been put in

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 not activated after Motherboard died and new motherboard has been put in: After only 3 weeks of using my new computer, my motherboard died and i had to replace it, and now my windows 10 pro key is invalid and I have a watermark in the bottom right corner of my screen that doesn't want to go away. I can't seem to solve it by using my Microsoft...
  10. Motherboard has no Win 10 drivers. Clean install still possible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Motherboard has no Win 10 drivers. Clean install still possible: I have never been a fan of upgrades. Now I am noT having any issues with the upgrade I did but I still would like to do a clean install. Since my motherboard it 2 yrs old the manufacture feels it's too old to give it Win 10 drivers. I can assume that there will be no way...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is it possible to fix a shorted motherboard