Windows 10: Is it possible to run a separate Windows OS as a Virtual Machine?

Discus and support Is it possible to run a separate Windows OS as a Virtual Machine? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Sup pals! I've been googling a bit, but haven't pin pointed to a solution. I'm trying to achieve something a la parallels, in which I'd have a separate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by superjose, Jan 29, 2016.

1. superjose Win User

Is it possible to run a separate Windows OS as a Virtual Machine?

Sup pals! I've been googling a bit, but haven't pin pointed to a solution. I'm trying to achieve something a la parallels, in which I'd have a separate Windows installation and I can either boot directly to it, or run it as a virtual machine.

I've seen that you can convert an existing installation into a VHD drive, something which I DO NOT WANT. I want to do it as it is possible to do it in Mac with Parallels.

Is there any software available to do so? Thanks *Wink

:)

superjose, Jan 29, 2016

2. Is IT possible to use a MINI USB THUMB DRIVE as a cellphone memory card SINCE THE NOKIA LUMIA 920 OR 1020 DOES NOT SUPPORT MICRO SD CARD SLOT?

THANK YOU...I CANNOT USE A SD CARD IN MY 920

please_help_LL, Jan 29, 2016
  3. LCRT Win User
    Is IT possible to use a MINI USB THUMB DRIVE as a cellphone memory card SINCE THE NOKIA LUMIA 920 OR 1020 DOES NOT SUPPORT MICRO SD CARD SLOT?

nope...

4. Mystere Win User

You don't mention which virtual machine software you are using. However, in general, no. Windows does not support running a virtual machine in anything other than a VHD. Physical partitions for virtual machines are not supported anymore (they used to be, back in the XP days, but I think since at least Vista, direct hardware access to the partition is no longer possible.)

I could be wrong though, I haven't seen a way to do this.

Mystere, Jan 29, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    your question is a bit vague but there are a few ways of running multiple instances of Windows on a single machine (You'll have to ensure your licensing arrangements are OK of course though.

1) multiple HDD's -- choose boot HDD at boot up or use Boot program --- disadvantage only one Windows will run at a time

2) Create a Windows to go which boots off external device - disadvantage - if you don't have Enterprise then you'll have to use a VHD like Windows PE and you can only run one instance at a time.

3) Use Virtual machine software - advantage - you can run as many VM's concurrently as your RAM / CPU and disk space allow.
    VMware workstation (paid for) VMware player (free) vbox (free) or HYPER-V (also Free within Windows --you need at least PRO though).

You can CLONE your existing running machine with VMware converter tool -- download from VMware site --free and the format also works on HYPER-V.

Other OS'es need to be installed just as you would do on a physical machine. Mount the installer iso / usb and run the setup / install.

As Mystere says you can't (at least AFAIK) use Real HDD's to boot as a VM - although somewhere I'm sure someone has come up with "Raw Disks" for Virtual machines.

Way way back (8 releases of VMware ago !!!) you could do it : Read the bit about Raw Disks.

Configuring a Windows Host

Now whether this still works today I have no idea -- and in any case HDD storage is so ridiculously cheap these days why bother - creating a few VM's won't use a lot of HDD space on a large drive.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 2, 2016
  6. superjose Win User
    Thanks a lot people for your answers! It seems that things could get a little complicated. What I am intending to do is to run Visual Studio.

The problem is that recent builds of Windows 10 (Insider Preview, Including 14,257) have broken several aspects of app development in Visual Studio. I know it is not recommended to use Windows Insider Preview as a mainly driver (in my SSD), but in the past these problems wouldn't arose.

So, I'll just end up installing Virtualbox and install visual Studio in it! Thanks a lot pals! Hopefully these problems will be solved soon!

superjose, Feb 3, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Be aware you need a separate licence for Windows (any version) in a VM.

cereberus, Feb 7, 2016
  8. superjose Win User

Thanks *Smile

superjose, Feb 7, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    I know that you said you don't want to do this but if you create your virtual disk in VHD or VHDX format it is easy to boot it natively - all you need to do is add a boot manager entry (See here) . You can then choose to run it as a VM or natively and swap when you want to.

If you might want to do it in future make sure when you create your VM that the maximum size of your VHD(X) will fit on your disk as it is expanded to full size when you native boot it. VirtualBox supports VHD disks although it isn't the default.

lx07, Feb 7, 2016
  10. superjose Win User
    Awesome! Thanks a lot for the info!

superjose, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it possible to run a separate Windows OS as a Virtual Machine? - Similar Threads - possible run separate

2. Virtual Machine Running windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Machine Running windows 7: I want to run windows 7 in my computer but im having problems finding the iso pls help.https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/lifecycle/products/windows-7 i tried this one that i saw in other thread but it got taken down.if anyone could also make an easy guy of how to create the...
  3. Virtual Machine Running windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Machine Running windows 7: I want to run windows 7 in my computer but im having problems finding the iso pls help.https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/lifecycle/products/windows-7 i tried this one that i saw in other thread but it got taken down.if anyone could also make an easy guy of how to create the...
  4. Virtual Machine Running windows 7

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Does running virtual machines ruin your host os

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does running virtual machines ruin your host os: I have a windows 10 PC. Recently I started running virtual machines using the virtual box. I would like to know whether running another os in your computer apart from a single os ruin your PC. Thank you....
  6. Virtual machine to run linux

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual machine to run linux: Windows is not my main OS. I use it for work and I'd like to install openSUSE (or any other distribution) on a virtual machine to use while I do office work on Windows. What are my options? submitted by /u/C8H10N4O2montreal [link] [comments]...
  7. Is it possible to run a VPN in a separate virtual desktop only?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to run a VPN in a separate virtual desktop only?: Basically so I can toggle back and forth. I assume no, but there are some ninjas on here. Thought I'd ask submitted by /u/wozmatic [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ff8u1g/is_it_possible_to_run_a_vpn_in_a_separate_virtual/
  8. Virtual Machine with same harddisk and OS

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Machine with same harddisk and OS: I need to run a macro that has to be played for 350 times and each macro takes around 4 mins to complete. The macros are fully independent that requires no supervision. So I am planning to make a virtual machine so that I can split the time in half. The macro requires Chrome,...
  9. Virtual Machine Running Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Machine Running Issue: Hi Guys... I am using VM Ware Workstation Pro 15, I want to run virtual machine on it. It displays an error is (VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible. VMware Workstation can be run after disabling Device/Credential Guard.)...
  10. Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine: How to: Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine [img] Information Nested Virtualization means that user can enable Hyper-V on existing virtual machines, and run virtual machines and Windows Sandbox on them. To make Nested Virtualization...