Windows 10: Is it possible to Share a Windows 10 machine on a WorkGroup

Discus and support Is it possible to Share a Windows 10 machine on a WorkGroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello I'm trying to access a Windows 10 Machine on a Worgroup from My Windows 7 Machine From the Windows 7 machine I can browse the Windows 7 Machine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by olibara, Oct 28, 2015.

1. olibara Win User

Is it possible to Share a Windows 10 machine on a WorkGroup

Hello I'm trying to access a Windows 10 Machine on a Worgroup from My Windows 7 Machine
    From the Windows 7 machine I can browse the Windows 7 Machine
    But when I try to acces the windows 10 Machine it requires Username Password and the single ADMIN username / Password used on my Windows 10 machine does not work

I look around on internet and just found some tricky solution that needs Registry editing

Is it really so complicate to configure Windows 10 for networking ?

Thanks for your comments / suggestions

:)

olibara, Oct 28, 2015

2. Want windows 10 machine to rejoin a workgroup and see files on XP machines

This was working but with the last Windows update my Windows 10 machine no longer sees the Workgroup it belongs to. I can find no instructions anywhere on how to get it to see the other Workgroup machines again and to be seen by them. What happened? How
    do I fix it?

The Workgroup name is intact and has not changed on the Windows 10 machine but it can't find the network or the workgroup. Network Discovery is turned on. This had been working just fine for over a year such that I could share files and printers.

Bernard Corrigan, Oct 28, 2015
  3. TimH1980 Win User
    Is it possible to share a setup file?

Hi, i have created a recovery drive and i have almost all the files and folders: boot, sources, efi, bootmgr,bootmgr.efi. apparently the setup file is missing. Is it possible to share a setup file?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

TimH1980, Oct 28, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

When you define your shares, add the Everyone account with whatever access level you want. Read, Read\Execute or Full Control then Share it.

For instance, to make the C: drive available to other network computers:

Add Everyone
    Share drive or folder:

Turn off password protected sharing:

Ztruker, Oct 29, 2015
  5. olibara Win User
    Thank You Ztrucker

Indeed Right click on network to go to Advanced Sharing is the first point : I had missed it
    I'll continue to test

olibara, Oct 29, 2015
  6. olibara Win User
    Hello Ztruker

Thanks again for your help, I start to understand better how it should works but it still doesn't

So I've shared the D drive on my Windows10 machine and removed Password protection
    Now at least I can see the Machine and the D drive from my Windows 7 machine
    However it is still impossible to browse the D drive

I get a message

Windows cannot access L: \\Newbara1\d
    You have not the rights blabla..

However in the security of my D drive
    I set full control to
    - authenticated users
    - Newbara1 users

Ok I can understand that authenticated users is not exactly the same as "everyone"

The questions now is
    1- I suppose that if I need Authenticated users instead of "everyone" I need to re-activate password
    2- But when Password was activated I can't get the remote connection with my Admin login on that machine ?

So is there a way to be able to remote connect using the local Password I have on that machine
    Or do I have to grant "everyone" anyway ?

For now Windows10 does not make life easier for networking

olibara, Nov 1, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    I don't have an answer for you. I have 4 computer and share all drives between all of then and the Everyone account as full control on all shares so I never see this problem.

Ztruker, Nov 1, 2015
  8. olibara Win User

Thank you Ztruker
    So if no one have an idea about the correct use of password I will add the everyone Group, it is better than nothing

olibara, Nov 1, 2015
  9. UKMedia Win User
    Hi Olibara

I have a mix of Win7 and Win 10 all connected via a workgroup. What sharing settings do you have - I've attached mine below:

Is it possible to Share a Windows 10 machine on a WorkGroup [​IMG]

Is it possible to Share a Windows 10 machine on a WorkGroup [​IMG]

Can you access the Win7 PC from the Win10?

Regards

UKMedia, Nov 1, 2015
  10. chideock Win User
    For my situation I did the following hope it helps.

On the computer that I wanted to share a folder (a win10 pro desktop on my outlook login) which I named "Main"
    Add "everyone" as post #2 above. Don't know if it is required or not but did not hurt. I had settings as post #7
    I added a user called "myguest" with a password. Note this computer's name was "Main" case sensitive.

On the other computer which was a win10home with my wife's outlook login in "file explorer" I selected my computer which showed in "network" as "MAIN". When the popup asked for a username I typed in the case sensitive name of my computer, backslash, user for my computer thus - Main\myguest. Then entered the password I had assigned.

It worked and as long as your permissions are set you can open the folder & files.

chideock, Nov 1, 2015
  11. olibara Win User
    Thank you UKmedia & chideock

I will take the time to try again tonight with your suggestions
    But Microsoft have definitely something to improve here
    It is not normal that it is so easy to get an internet connection and so tricky to get a workgroup working
    This is one of the reason I'm scarred to upgrade my two other machines to Windows 10

olibara, Nov 2, 2015
  12. linw Win User
    It isn't hard when you know how! Win 10 is not so slack with security as earlier versions.

After giving control to Everyone, make sure you follow chideock's advice with the specification of the username. Preface it with the computer name as shown.

Good luck - keep at it!

13. olibara Win User

Thank you linw

I didn't had the time yet to focus on that issue again for now I'm still working on my Windows 7 machine and my Windows 8 Laptop fortunately those can communicate on my Workgroup
    When I will find a couple of hours to spend I will try again with all the suggestions here

You are right when you know how everything is easy ! *Smile
    But sometime the energy to spend to know how is much higher than expected

olibara, Nov 4, 2015
  14. olibara Win User
    Hello Ztrucker
    Finaly I found a little time to focus on that network issue (I usualy like windows but hate Windows networking management)
    So your advice was usefull I can finaly communicate with my machine
    However I still have some Questions / Issue

Issue 1 :
    My stupid Windows 10 new machine was originaly set in French (now I turn it on English)
    However the "Everyone" group is still "Tout le monde" so I had to apply your suggestion to "Tout le monde"
    Anyway I don't really want to continue to play with "Tout le monde" I prefer "Everyone" I feel it more intimate Is it possible to Share a Windows 10 machine on a WorkGroup :)
    Is it anyway to rename "Tout le monde" by "Everyone" or any other way to have an "Everyone" working as "Tout le monde"

Question 1
    Now as I've followed your suggestion I can finaly share files on my workgroup and this is better than nothing !
    However I'm afraid to understand that the way it works now do not provide any security to the shared machine onthe workgroup
    I understand also that the intent of Microsoft was to provide more security by using password or user identification but that it does not work as expected
    Is it a bug of Microsoft ? : can we expect a Fix ?
    Is it a security not applicable to WorkGroup
    Is it a security so difficult to handle that it better to just forget it ?

olibara, Dec 30, 2015
  15. Ztruker Win User
    From File Explorer or This PC, right click on the item you are trying to share, click on the Security tab.
    Select Tout le monde and click on Edit.
    Click on Remove.

Go back and add Everyone.

For Question 1, I don't know. Sure seems like there are significant problems with sharing and MS should fix them as this is something many, many people do and need. The forums on the internet are filled with problems people are having trying to do simple file sharing, stuff that worked in 7 and 8.1 but not in 10. There are also many, many reports of people having networking problems in general, WiFi and LAN after upgrading to 10. MS should be all over that and it should have been fixed before the RM (10240) release and certainly before the 10586 release.

Ztruker, Dec 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Is it possible to Share a Windows 10 machine on a WorkGroup - Similar Threads - possible Share machine

2. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  3. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  4. is workgroup share encrypted?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Sharing on a Windows 10 Pro workgroup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing on a Windows 10 Pro workgroup: I setup a share on a Windows 10 pro computer so that others can map to it via \\hostname\share. The issue is that when I try mapping to it from another computer on the workgroup it prompts for creds. When I enter the creds of the local admin user and click save credentials is...
  6. "Secure" Windows 10 File Sharing on a Workgroup in Windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Secure" Windows 10 File Sharing on a Workgroup in Windows 10?: There was a way in Windows 7 (and XP?) to set up password-protected sharing for files/folders/volumes among computers on the same Workgroup when the LAN is declared as "Public" for those computers (providing an extra layer of security). I remember that a user on a "remote"...
  7. Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup": Hello, have two machines, running Win 10 Home, both I think are called 32 bit. One machine I use for myself, writing, personally created music, financial etc, the other is used by us both for e-mails, and other information. I had a kind of partial sharing between machines...
  8. Network/Workgroup Sharing

Network/Workgroup Sharing: Sirs: I have two computers set up to use the same Workgroup. When I try to connect from one computer to the other. I get a message "You do not have permission to access (the shared directory)" on the other computer. I enabled all sharing and permissions that I can find...
  9. Shared folders using Workgroup Windows 10

Shared folders using Workgroup Windows 10: I want to be able to set specific permissions for individual user accounts on other computers for when I share files/folders. When I go to Advanced Sharing and click "Share this folder" and then proceed to go to set permissions, the only location I have available is my...
  10. Can't See Shared Win10 Machine/Seeker in workgroup but shows in domain

Can't See Shared Win10 Machine/Seeker in workgroup but shows in domain: I have scoured the Networking and Sharing portion of this Win 10 Forum for an answer to my issue but have not found anything that works. We have a peer to peer network, with one Win 10 machine (acting as server - which we call server) which shares several hard drives for...