Windows 10: Is It Possible to Skip a Build?

Discus and support Is It Possible to Skip a Build? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; When I first got Windows 10, I experienced frequent crashes and hangs, and I frequently had to restart, because something wasn't working right. About a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by gregyurkon, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Is It Possible to Skip a Build?

When I first got Windows 10, I experienced frequent crashes and hangs, and I frequently had to restart, because something wasn't working right. About a month ago, the system finally became reasonably stable. Yesterday, I upgraded to build 10586, and so far at least I haven't had any crashes or hangs, but every time I turn the computer on, I have to restart to get everything to work right. Is it possible to just ignore those build upgrade notices, so I can enjoy a stable OS for a while?

:)

gregyurkon, Dec 10, 2015

2. is it Is it possible to save Windows10 to a disk or thumb drive and boot from your old windows

Can I do a clean install using the Free upgrade?

No, it will require that you are running a previous qualifying version and start the upgrade from within the qualifying version. You can initiate a clean install after completing the Upgrade.

If you need the PVR (personal video recorder) features in Windows Media Center, then
    Media Portal is one alternative. If you just want a simple video player, I like
    MPC-HC (Media Player Classic
    – Home Cinema), but
    VLC
    will do the job. All three are open source and free.

Source:
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/jun/25/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-7-questions-answered

Also Microsoft stopped active development of Media Center for nearly six years now. Why? Small percentage of Windows users were using it, about 6 million out of 1.5 billion. Also, they had to pay license fees for every copy of Windows sold with it, even
    if it wasn't being used.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 10, 2015
  3. is it Is it possible to save Windows10 to a disk or thumb drive and boot from your old windows

The reason why it's being removed is because there wasn't enough people using it and microsoft felt like they didn't need to update the software. I may have run Media center once or twice in my life but i never really did use it.

David Rushing, Dec 10, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

Is It Possible to Skip a Build?

allow the build upgrade..

10586 is the Current build
    .29 is the current srvbuild...

thus winver 10586.29

5. Why should I allow the next upgrade if it's just going to cause the same issues the 10586.29 upgrade is causing? I'd like to have a stable OS for at least 3 or 4 months before upgrading again.

gregyurkon, Dec 10, 2015
  6. Personally I'd rather have a mink one *Smile

nigelmercier, Dec 10, 2015
  7. If only spell checkers were psychic and knew what word I was trying to type as opposed to the one i did type.*Smile

gregyurkon, Dec 10, 2015
  8. Is It Possible to Skip a Build?

...sounds like there is some underlying problem that needs addressing.

markweatherill, Dec 10, 2015
  9. I spent 2 months here, and at Tech Support Forum, Microsoft, and Lenovo trying to find that problem and eventually I just gave up.

gregyurkon, Dec 10, 2015
  10. DoItJust Win User
    DoItJust, Dec 10, 2015
  11. Thanks, I'll try it. Anyway, my system might be stabilizing faster than I expected. This morning, I haven't had to restart. Of course, 1 out of 4 or 5 isn't very many, so I'll just have to wait and see.

gregyurkon, Dec 10, 2015
  12. It's possible that I may have found the aforementioned underlying problem. Some time ago, I downloaded and installed all of the drivers I could find at Lenovo, and at Tech Support Forum | Experts Online now for FREE Support!, I learned about looking for yellow flags in an elevated Device Manager. I've never seen any such yellow flags, so I thought that everything was fine, but earlier today, I used Windows Update MiniTool for the first time, and it told me that there were 6 available driver updates. I've installed them all, so maybe things will improve now. Also, earlier today, I remembered that on my previous computer, I had to reinstall Windows ME once a month, so even though 10 has been more problematic than 8.1, it could be worse.*Smile

Edited to add:

It turns out that updating those last few drivers didn't change anything. My windows 10 still ranks somewhere between ME and 8.1 in terms of reliability.

gregyurkon, Dec 10, 2015
  13. Is It Possible to Skip a Build?

Resetting Windows yesterday seems to have helped. I'm not sure how much yet.

gregyurkon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is It Possible to Skip a Build?

1. Is It Possible to Skip a Build? - Similar Threads - Possible Skip Build

2. photos application showing not possible numbers and cannot skip using the timeline

in Windows 10 Gaming
    photos application showing not possible numbers and cannot skip using the timeline: pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-application-showing-not-possible-numbers/c3642303-e129-4d66-9702-1df8e2e4a1f5
  3. Is is possible to skip an update Feature Update to Windows 10, version 22H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is is possible to skip an update Feature Update to Windows 10, version 22H2: Windows 10 version 22H2 makes the wheel on my mouse stop working. I tried updating drivers through Device Manager, and all drivers are up to date. Rolling back this specific update makes the mouse wheel work again. There have been no further software changes.Is there a way to...
  4. Windows Insider build stuck on restart screen (skip ahead)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Insider build stuck on restart screen (skip ahead): Any time i try to restart my computer, it gets stuck on the restart screen. It's impossible to properly restart my computer, i have to manually shut it down by holding the power button...
  5. Windows Insider build stuck on update screen (skip ahead)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Insider build stuck on update screen (skip ahead): Any time i try to restart my computer to update, it gets stuck on the restart screen and refuses to update. After trying to leave the insider program, the update still exists and windows will not recheck updates. I have to force restart my computer every time, and windows...
  6. Winamp still working on skip ahead build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Winamp still working on skip ahead build: Hi folks I still think this is one of the best programs for CD ripping and automatic tagging -- especially if you like Classical music as it has Gracenote DB api built in so in most cases can easily tag your CD rip --good if you are digitising / ripping a load of CD's with...
  7. Windows updates - is it possible to skip one or more?

Windows updates - is it possible to skip one or more?: With the way I use a computer, the latest Windows 10 update appears to contain changes/improvements that are not relevant to me. I'd like to skip the update altogether - and possibly reverse/delete other updates I've already installed. Please note that I already know how...
  8. Is it possible to update a build via LAN?

Is it possible to update a build via LAN?: Would it be feasible, no matter how complicated, to place a LAN update of a device, when storage is not enough to contain the new image? I have no other solution, so in my case let's avoid talking of cleaning up, it's just a small partition. I once upgraded from sd card...
  9. Skip Ahead build 18219.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Skip Ahead build 18219.: After some period of time Microsoft Store, Settings and Feedback Hub stop working and some Start apps will fail to open. Task Manager shows these items as suspended when you try to open them and trying to restart Windows Explorer from Task Manager results in Explorer shutting...
  10. Microsoft has finally skipped mobile build 10586.312

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft has finally skipped mobile build 10586.312: Microsoft has finally skipped mobile build 10586.312 Windows 10 Mobile Build 10586.318 is now under testing [img] 10.0.10586.318.th2_release.160505-1801 Windows 10 Mobile Build 10585.318 is now under testing by Microsoft for Windows Insiders. Microsoft has been...