Windows 10: Is it possible to split a Windows installation across hard drives?

Discus and support Is it possible to split a Windows installation across hard drives? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just curious if this is possible, in basically the same way that one can do it in Linux. I just have a little idyllic scenario in my head where my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CursedLemon, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Is it possible to split a Windows installation across hard drives?

Just curious if this is possible, in basically the same way that one can do it in Linux.

I just have a little idyllic scenario in my head where my Windows system folder is on a small NVMe drive, my Program Files folders are on a separate SSD of some kind, and my Users folder is on some big ol' HDDs.

It would be cool, is all! As far as backup is concerned, well I know what I would be getting into. lol

:)

CursedLemon, Nov 17, 2017
  2. n1tr0 Win User

Is it possible to split payments in Windows Phone Marketplace ?

So who's cashing in on the remainders left on these gift cards that can't be redeemed ?

n1tr0, Nov 17, 2017
  3. n1tr0 Win User
    Is it possible to split payments in Windows Phone Marketplace ?

Like a lot of people who bought Windows Phone's in the last couple months, I got a Windows Phone pre-paid card to purchase apps .There's now a remainder on the card that doesn't seem to be usable in the marketplace. It would be really nice to be able to
    split up payments.

As it stands, the marketplace just returns a generic error that makes it look like the server is having problems and doesn't even tell people it's the card that's lacking.

Thanks

n1tr0, Nov 17, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Is it possible to split a Windows installation across hard drives?

I had no idea that was even possible on Linux. Would like to see some links on that.

Plankton, Nov 17, 2017
  5. You can install different root directories in Linux (etc, home, lib, so on) to basically wherever you want. Across different partitions, different drives, etc. You can probably even install them over network locations, although I've never tried that. It's pretty neat!

6. cereberus Win User
    Sure - relocating user folders is easy - do it from settings, system, storage menus.

Program Files folder can be relocated using symbolic links BUT be warned, each time there is a buid upgrade, those links can get broken leaving things in a mess. Advise you do not go there.

cereberus, Nov 17, 2017
  7. Plankton Win User
    That's what I was going to ask....I just didn't see how that would work long term with the way MS has windows 10 set. Next question for me would be; why would anybody want to do that? I see no viable point in doing so.

Plankton, Nov 17, 2017
  8. Is it possible to split a Windows installation across hard drives?

If Windows doesn't natively know how to split the installation across multiple devices then the point is sadly moot!

My only reason for wanting to attempt it is that it would be easy to store the Windows system on a small drive, and then have a bigger drive for Program Files as I install more and more applications (like huge games and whatnot). I like the idea of being able to manipulate permissions between those two resources so as to keep the Windows system itself fairly isolated from everything else, but that's anal-level tinkering. *Wink

It was just a thought!

9. cereberus Win User
    Many games are portable. These can be telicated on other drives (steam games certainly) without any problems.

cereberus, Nov 17, 2017
  10. Hi,
    I'm guessing that is what raid 5-10 configurations are for.

ThrashZone, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Is it possible to split a Windows installation across hard drives?

1. Is it possible to split a Windows installation across hard drives? - Similar Threads - possible split installation

2. RAID 5 Across Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RAID 5 Across Hard Drives: Hello,I am building a NAS and I have 1x 8TB HHD and 3x 3TB HHD. Can I set all 4 drives up in RAID 5 even though one drive is 8TB and not 3TB? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/raid-5-across-hard-drives/3639c094-b898-4d9e-9af3-bd322e4aa7cf
  3. RAID 5 Across Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RAID 5 Across Hard Drives: Hello,I am building a NAS and I have 1x 8TB HHD and 3x 3TB HHD. Can I set all 4 drives up in RAID 5 even though one drive is 8TB and not 3TB? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/raid-5-across-hard-drives/3639c094-b898-4d9e-9af3-bd322e4aa7cf
  4. RAID 5 Across Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Split hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Split hard drive: I have a 1tb drive with two partitions.While trying to resize the partitions I finished up with two partitions labeled "F:"File explorer sees one 1tb partition but the disk manager in control panel, sees two partitions of about 500mb each.I have tried various partition...
  6. Split hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Split hard drive: I have a 1tb drive with two partitions.While trying to resize the partitions I finished up with two partitions labeled "F:"File explorer sees one 1tb partition but the disk manager in control panel, sees two partitions of about 500mb each.I have tried various partition...
  7. Split hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Sharing a hard drive across computers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing a hard drive across computers: Hey everyone, I have multiple Windows 10 computers in my home, and I work with various art and video editing programs. I would like the hard drive that contains the work files and the raw assets to be shared among my computers so that I can edit from any computer in the...
  9. Hard drive split in two?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive split in two?: Hello. I had recently installed Ubuntu 19.04 alongside Windows 10. Now I wanted to uninstall it, so I followed the existing tutorials on the internet. However only Ubuntu was deleted but the virtual drive was still not deleted. The funny thing is that the virtual drive is...
  10. How to install windows 10 from a split hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install windows 10 from a split hard drive?: I have a PC with 1tb hard drive. Currently am running windows 7 from it. I want to update to windows 10. I have tried windows media creation tool but it failed giving me some error. Is there anyway to install windows 10 from an iso by splitting my hard drive and making it...