Windows 10: is it possible to start win10 from USB (without installing o.s.)?

Discus and support is it possible to start win10 from USB (without installing o.s.)? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I created a bootable usb key with windows10 following this procedure. How to create a Windows 10 USB bootable media with UEFI support | Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mfran2002, Oct 26, 2017.

1. mfran2002 Win User

is it possible to start win10 from USB (without installing o.s.)?

I created a bootable usb key with windows10 following this procedure.

How to create a Windows 10 USB bootable media with UEFI support | Windows Central

but when i turn on the pc, it lets me choose between installing win10 with or without keeping my files..

I thought it was possible simply to start operating system directly from USB...

someone can clarify me that?

thanks!.

:)

mfran2002, Oct 26, 2017

2. Is it possible to install Windows 10 without a USB drive or DVD after purchasing it?

You can boot to the Windows 8.1 desktop, even in its expired state, download the .ISO file for Windows 10, mount it and perform either an upgrade or new install.

Step 1:
    How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2: Double click the ISO then launch setup.exe to start the installation from within Windows 10:

How to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using
    Windows 10 ISO file

Andre Da Costa, Oct 26, 2017
  3. JCRey Win User
    Is it possible to install Windows 10 without a USB drive or DVD after purchasing it?

I had my PC built months ago and had a trial version of Windows 8.1 installed. It had expired and about a day or two later (yesterday) I have purchased Windows 10 Pro software. I tried to install it but I can't seem to figure out how. I didn't think I need
    a USB drive or DVD to install it. I thought it would direct me somewhere and then ask me for my product key. Just to be clear, I've bought Win 10 after my trial expired. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or what. But if I actually need to spend
    extra for a drive/DVD, I would have bought the upgrade at a store.

So I need help with this. Is there a way I can install this upgrade without a drive? I figured it would be an internal installation and wouldn't need one. Thank you for the reply.

JCRey, Oct 26, 2017
  4. is it possible to start win10 from USB (without installing o.s.)?

TairikuOkami, Oct 26, 2017
  5. mfran2002 Win User
    great suggestion TairikuOkami thank you!

I talk about win10pro

using that tool, i will be able to launch from usb the operating system? i will have also access to the hard disk to take and save my old fles?

the pc i need to access does not start anymore for some reason...

mfran2002, Oct 26, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The Windows to Go feature requires a USB specifically designed to support it. These are difficult to find (and expensive) most USBs aren't suitable.

If you need a bootable Windows on a USB to rescue data, then Kyhi's rescue disk works on any USB. You could also try a Linux Live USB.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    From post #3 it sounds like what you really want is Kyhi's Recovery Tools referenced above.

NavyLCDR, Oct 26, 2017
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

if you need a 100% full blown Windows system from a bootable USB device then you'll need Windows to GO but only available for Enterprise / corporate versions.

You could try booting windows from a VHD file on a USB stick --this has the disadvantage though that the internal C drive must at least start the boot process.

Another option but you will need a decent SSD and preferably a USB3==>SATA connection (although it works reasonably well with a USB2-->SATA connection) is to use a Linux OS on the USB - those boot easily enough and then with either Virtual Box or Vmware player / workstation bring up a Windows Virtual machine.

You'll need to have SAMBA installed on the linux OS and Ntfs-3g (to read / write NTFS Windows files).

It's a good learning curve to have a go with this.

To get at the Windows HDD's from your Windows Virtual machine you can either share them via SAMBA in which case you'll have to mount them on the Linux OS first or probably easier for beginners is in the VM is to attach the Windows HDD's as physical drives directly in the VM config.

The resulting Windows VM will be as near to a physical Windows machine as it's possible to get - although wouldn't be of too much use for serious game playing or other things that make real calls to the actual usually specialized hardware - but for typical tasks no probs whatsoever.

I always keep one of these around as I like to have Office 2016 in several languages - useful when you work on some clients sites in different countries.

On a decent laptop the response time on the windows VM is actually quite good !!!!

-- now if someone could get an instance of Virtual Box running on an android tablet so one could load up a Windows VM I'd be very interested !!!!!l

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 27, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    There's actually no Live version of full windows, the one you are describing is for installation only.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. is it possible to start win10 from USB (without installing o.s.)? - Similar Threads - possible start win10

2. O/S partioning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    O/S partioning: 1TB SSD mbr with 103 GB in use for the 2004 O/S and 827 GB free. A few basic queries, with the object to create a new partition for data, while leaving the O/S with ample room - perhaps 150-200 GB. The Win 10 disk management interface lists... Total 973 GB Available 591 GB...
  3. Installing Win10 from USB while Win10 already installed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 from USB while Win10 already installed?: I reformatted my brand new laptop using an old version of Win10 I had on a USB. However after doing this I ran into an issue with Windows updates not working. After some searching I found that I needed a newer build of the Win10 bootable USB. I ran the Win10 installer from...
  4. transfer O S

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    transfer O S: My dog knocked my tower down now my audio doesnt work machine is always running hot. I bought a motherboard cpu and case can I switch my hard drive and keep my O.S? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-o-s/44554b34-b498-4f2c-b34f-99257c15ec07"
  5. Win10 on usb installed but setup not starting/continuing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 on usb installed but setup not starting/continuing: Hi all, brand new here. Got a problem and hope to get some help. Thanks in advance! Today I successfully installed a win10-1803.iso on an external/usb drive using WinToUsb (latest version). I can boot the drive and Windows 10 starts, logo appears, then the spinning dots...
  6. New o/s

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    New o/s: Has anyone tried the new o/s Download - OTTA systems 99831
  7. win10 o/s

win10 o/s: I made a mistake and bought win10 home oem. Can I install then upgrade to home retail. I really do not want to go to the hassle of returning for the retail disk. 66786
  8. Installing Win10 Pro from USB

Installing Win10 Pro from USB: Hi Have another issue with upgrading OS on new laptop that has Win10 Home. I am going to double check that I have indeed burned the correct iso but I think I have. The laptop goes through the install routine from the USB but still shows windows home as activated rather...
  9. Could not complete Win10 installation from USB

Could not complete Win10 installation from USB: I just bought and built a new computer, and a friend gave me a SSD to put the OS on. I got a free product key for Windows 10 Educational from my college, and I ran the 'MediaCreationToolRetail.exe', which the college had me download, on my laptop. Upon running it, I was able...
  10. Win10 Upgraded from Win7 - new build need to re-install O/S

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Upgraded from Win7 - new build need to re-install O/S: HiWhats the best procedure to reinstall Win10, if you took the free upgrade from Win7? i'm now on the Win10 Creators edition, but changing everything over this weekend, new mobo, gpu ........ and so on. What's the procedure seeing that this is completely new hardware......