Windows 10: Is it possible to upgrade to Pro from Win 7 Pro after W10 upgrade?

Discus and support Is it possible to upgrade to Pro from Win 7 Pro after W10 upgrade? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, So try to stick with me here. A couple years back I had issues with the Windows 7 update system and spent literally 8 hours on the phone with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Traijan, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Traijan Win User

Is it possible to upgrade to Pro from Win 7 Pro after W10 upgrade?

Hi,

So try to stick with me here. A couple years back I had issues with the Windows 7 update system and spent literally 8 hours on the phone with Microsoft technicians trying to figure out what is causing it, and how they can try to repair it remotely etc. For a booby prize they gave me a full key to Windows 7 Pro. (By the way they couldn't fix it but it might have helped them to find a fix later on for other people and they did show me a neat way of backing up data using Notepad off of my original Win 7 DVD disk recovery type system thing-a-ma-bob)

In the past I'd installed it but most recently when I had to buy a new mainboard I didn't bother to install Windows 7 pro and just went with the key on the back of my Home Premium box that I bought retail.

So now I've upgraded to Windows 10 (upgrade went fine for me) Home, and I'm wondering if there is some sort of way that I can upgrade my Windows 10 to Pro from having a license key for Win 7 pro that Microsoft gave me.

I thought that maybe I could simply reinstall W7 Pro on this computer and then do a W10 upgrade again but if I understand it correctly my hardware is already tied into a license to use Windows 10 Home. So I don't really want to try that if it's only going to make me have to reinstall OS's and all my programs for no benefit of getting Pro.

I hope this makes sense?

:)

Traijan, Aug 2, 2015
  2. BradK1 Win User

Upgrade Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro with Win 7 Upgrade Key

I have a new computer with Win 10 Home installed (digital license, already activated by manufacturer, works fine). Can I upgrade to Win 10 Pro with a Win 7 Pro upgrade license? The license I have for Win 7 Pro is an upgrade version purchased from Microsoft
    (not a full install version). Additionally, the Win 7 Pro upgrade license has been previously used on a computer that has not existed for about 3 years now. If this is not possible, can I use a Win 7 Pro upgrade (not full install) license (purchased from Microsoft)
    that has NEVER been used? Thanks.

BradK1, Aug 2, 2015
  3. JeDsch Win User
    How can i upgrade from w7 PRO Spanish version to w10 PRO English version.

Original Title: Win 7 PRO upgrade to win 10 PRO different language.

Hey all, i have a simple question ! i search for something similar post but i don't find anything that's why i made a new topic how can i upgrade the w7 PRO Spanish version to w10 PRO English version

and if i need to install my original w7 PRO ES to get a copy with w10 PRO EN or maybe i can use only my key to get a copy with w10 PRO

tnk u all for a quick and helpfully answer

JeDsch, Aug 2, 2015
  4. strollin Win User

You should be able to revert back to Win 7 Home (MS says you have a 30-day window to do that). I don't see why you shouldn't then be able to upgrade your Win 7 Home to Win 7 Pro and do the upgrade again. I've never tried doing that, so can't say for certain, but it sounds like a reasonable thing to be able to do.

If you get an error I would try calling MS and explaining what you're trying to do.

BTW, do you need any of the features of Pro that would make this worth doing?

strollin, Aug 2, 2015
  5. NUS
    Nus Win User
    For a laugh, try entering the pro key under Settings->System->About->Change product key or upgrade your edition of Windows.

6. bobkn Win User
    Where's the joke?

I doubt that Win 10 will accept a Win 7 key at all.

bobkn, Aug 2, 2015
  7. Traijan Win User
    Honestly, I can't think of any feature in Pro that I couldn't live without. I guess I just want them there in case I were to need them in the future.

I'm guessing that to revert back to 7, I'd still need to have the Windows.old folder available which it's not since mine was some ridiculous sized folder (something like 70GB) and was taking up too much space on the limited SSD that I keep as the primary so I dumped it.

Oh well, I guess nothing really lost.

Traijan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it possible to upgrade to Pro from Win 7 Pro after W10 upgrade? - Similar Threads - possible upgrade Pro

2. 7 pro to 10 pro possible upgrade?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    7 pro to 10 pro possible upgrade?: Hello all! Hopefully last post/question before I actually get my new 10 system up and running (Monday!). This just dawned on me right now. My computer that is on the verge of death, and being replaced is Win7 Pro (x64). The system I've purchased to replace it comes...
  3. I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.: I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. Now EaseUS PartitionMaster Pro V7.01 brings up an alarm User Account Control and the app will not run....
  4. upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I have several times tried to upgrade my desktop dual boot Win XP and Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro using the downloaded ISO file, and keep my personal files and apps. It runs about 36 hours then fails. How can I make this upgrade? If not using the ISO file is there another...
  5. Slower performance after Win 10 Pro upgrade from Win 7 Pro

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slower performance after Win 10 Pro upgrade from Win 7 Pro: I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro 32-bit version to Win 10 Pro 32-bit version. My laptop feels a bit slower now than it did before. I suspect it's because Win 10 needs more RAM than Win 7 did. I have 8GB DDR3 RAM but since I'm running a 32-bit version of the OS, it only...
  6. UPGRADE FROM W10 PRO EDUCATION TO PRO

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UPGRADE FROM W10 PRO EDUCATION TO PRO: Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Pro Education. Right now I have Pro Education installed and I would like to change it to Windows 10 Pro since I've always used that and it's my preferred OS. If I get a Windows 10 Pro OEM key, can I change it?...
  7. Upgrade a win 7 pro system to win 10 pro

Upgrade a win 7 pro system to win 10 pro: I want to upgrade a Win 7 pro system to Win 10 pro. I want to do an upgrade and NOT a clean install. My question: Can I use the commercial version (available from computer stores) of win 10 to upgrade the win 7 system and use the license key that I assume comes with...
  8. Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I purchased an upgrade to Win 10 Pro from a Microsoft certified seller. The problem I'm having is the upgrade keeps hanging up around 80% install. I'm running an MSI motherboard MSI Z975SSLI Krait Edition (MS 7922) 64 bit Intel core i5-4690 3.5 Ghz 38 GB memory. Can...
  9. Is it still possible to upgrade to W10 from W8.1 Pro?

Is it still possible to upgrade to W10 from W8.1 Pro?: My current laptop is having BSOD issues for the past few weeks. I've thought of trying to fix it (or reinstalling the OS), but then why not just upgrade to W10? I currently have the key that I used to install my current W8.1 Pro. If it's still possible, what would be the...
  10. Need to upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Need to upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: My first PC I upgraded did not upgrade to Pro. So I want to download the media for Pro, and upgrade with it. When I go to the MS site to download, it does not offer me a selection of versions to download. Can anyone suggest where to find the Pro Win 10 download, or a...