Windows 10: Is it possible to uprade Home 7 or 8.1 Core to 10 Pro?

Discus and support Is it possible to uprade Home 7 or 8.1 Core to 10 Pro? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! We all know that any version less than Pro will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home. That is Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by spapakons, Oct 2, 2015.

1. spapakons Win User

Is it possible to uprade Home 7 or 8.1 Core to 10 Pro?

Hello! We all know that any version less than Pro will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home. That is Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 8 Core will all be upgraded to Windows 10 Home. If later someone wants Windows 10 Pro he/she can do it from the Windows Store by paying and upgrading Windows 10 Home to 10 Pro. The question is if we can avoid this two-step upgrade and make it an one step upgrade. Is it possible to buy a Pro license and use an ISO or DVD to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro directly? Once I tried to upgrade a Windows 8.1 Core system using a DVD, but I wasn't offered any choice, it was upgraded to Windows 10 Home. Of course we can always upgrade 8.1 Core to 8.1 Pro (and 7 to Professional or Ultimate) and then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, but this is again a two-step procedure. Any workaround?

:)

spapakons, Oct 2, 2015

2. Activation about windows 10

Which version and edition of Windows original came preinstalled on your computer, prior to Windows 8.1 Enterprise? Was it Windows 8.1 Core or Windows 7 Home Basic?

If it originally had Windows 8.1 Core, or Windows 7 Home Basic, you could try using that key to activate Windows 10 Home.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 2, 2015
  3. Is it possible to upgrade a 6.5 to 7 or greater? I Have an HTC Touch pro 2, thx for the answer

There are no official ways. Google will help, but nobody here will give you tips how you pirate the Windows Phone 7 license.

JulianPreußner, Oct 2, 2015
  4. Clintlgm Win User

Clintlgm, Oct 2, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    Yes, but you missed one little detail. The same DVD-ROM can install both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro. It depends on the license key (for clean installation) or on the previous Windows version (for upgrade). This is what I thought, since it can also install Pro I will be given the choice, but I wasn't. Since the system was Windows 8.1 Core it upgraded to Windows 10 Home without giving any choice other than a clean install, of course, which I didn't want to do and lose everything else. I didn't tried to boot from the Windows 10 DVD-ROM and start setup from there, but chances are that either it won't allow upgrade (it will suggest starting setup within Windows) or it will again force Home.

spapakons, Oct 2, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    Word Man, Oct 2, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    I suspect you can make a full installation using the included serial, but not an upgrade from Home to Pro... Who knows?

spapakons, Oct 2, 2015
  8. Clintlgm Win User

Ok how about you allow the upgrade to 10 core once that is complete you would use (WINKEY + I) Settings/updates and Security/ the dialog will come up to add Pro and you would input your key. The pro features will be available nothing further is required. While still two steps the 2nd step is about 1 minute or less.

Clintlgm, Oct 4, 2015
  9. Joergi Win User
    So you can upgrade from Home to Pro without any installation being required? That is interesting. I didn't know that!

Joergi, Oct 4, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 4, 2015
  11. Clintlgm Win User
    Yes that is correct, Binks Tutorial is very detailed if you need that its pretty simple actually.

Clintlgm, Oct 4, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    If you suggest to simply click on "Change Product Key" and set a Pro key, it won't work! I've already tried that. You must click on "Go to store" and purchase the Pro key. This is to make sure that you have actually paid for the key and it is genuine. The upgrade process could be about 10-20 minutes, at least so it was to upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate.

spapakons, Oct 4, 2015
  13. xmet Win User

Hi Brink.. and team..

I´ve been a member since vista... thanks for your work..

hope this is the correct thread for this question.. I´m using a Lenovo Ultrabook.. I upgraded to win 10core from 8.1 sucessfully.. I love it.. I have ~250g of 500g of music and movies on my HDD now... I just read site indicated that I could´ve upgraded to windows 10pro from windows 7ultimate or 8pro for free... I didnt realize this...

question 1) is this true that I can use 7ultimate to upgrade to windows10 pro....??

question 2) if 1 is true what would be the best way to proceed.. keeping in mind that I would like to NOT wipe the 250gs of music/vids I have...

question 3) I have a legit copy of windows7 ultimate (upgrade) used on a legit windows vista PC that is no longer used... w/out compromising your site integrity.. I would hope to use the upgrade to go forth on my lenovo to window10pro...

Is this possible.. and thanks in advance for you help.. and work.. for us students....

14. spapakons Win User
    Reply 1) Yes, Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate are upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for free. Windows 7 Enterprise cannot automatically upgrade to Windows 10 and you have to contact Microsoft. Also Windows 8.1 Pro is upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Every other lower version (eg Windows 7 Home Premium) is upgraded to Windows 10 Home.

Reply 2) If you still had Windows 7 Home Premium, you could run Windows Anytime Upgrade and upgrade that to Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate. Then it would upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. The same goes for Windows 8.1 Core. You would go to Add more features and upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro before upgrading to Windows 10 Pro. Windows 8 must first be upgraded to Windows 8.1. Since you have already upgraded to Windows 10 Home you can go to PC Settings, Activate Windows and press the Go to store button. This will offer you the upgrade from 10 Home to 10 Pro which is $100, I think. In all cases you keep your data and programs, so you don't have to reinstall everything. That's the point with an upgrade, to save you all this trouble. Otherwise you would do a clean installation.

Reply 3) If the old Vista PC has similar hardware with the Lenovo, that is both have Intel or AMD chipset and CPU at least, then you could try cloning the disk and see if you can boot Windows 7. If you do, then update all the drivers and activate it. Once you activate Windows 7 (and you have SP 1 installed) then your computer qualifies for the free upgrade to Windows 10. You either do all the Windows Updates until you see the Get Windows 10 icon at the notification area, or you start setup directly from a Windows 10 DVD-ROM, if you have made one in another computer. I believe that this Windows 10 will be legit as long as you don't upgrade the old PC to Windows 10 as well, meaning that you would take advantage of the free upgrade twice with the same Windows 7 installation. Maybe there is a grey area here according to the EULA, so I won't accept any responsibility. Proceed at your own risk. I can only tell you that it can be done.

spapakons, Oct 5, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    1) is this true that I can use 7ultimate to upgrade to windows10 pro....??

Yes.

2) if 1 is true what would be the best way to proceed.. keeping in mind that I would like to NOT wipe the 250gs of music/vids I have..

You would not be able to upgrade the existing Windows 10 Home to Pro without doing a clean install or purchasing a Pro upgrade Product Key.

3) I have a legit copy of windows7 ultimate (upgrade) used on a legit windows vista PC that is no longer used... w/out compromising your site integrity.. I would hope to use the upgrade to go forth on my lenovo to window10pro...

You would have to move the Windows 7 Ultimate to the Lenovo (uninstall old computer, install on new computer) assuming it is a retail Windows license and not an OEM license, then upgrade the Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro. Again, on the new computer you would not be able to go directly from Home to Pro without purchasing an upgrade Product Key.

What features of Pro do you need on the new computer?

NavyLCDR, Oct 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Is it possible to uprade Home 7 or 8.1 Core to 10 Pro? - Similar Threads - possible uprade Home

2. uprading my home to pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    uprading my home to pro: after upgrading home from the store the windows become pro enterprise version, how that happen? how can i go to home, the money was taken from my bank I dont want to pay another $99...
  3. uprading my home to pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    uprading my home to pro: after upgrading home from the store the windows become pro enterprise version, how that happen? how can i go to home, the money was taken from my bank I dont want to pay another $99...
  4. uprading my home to pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Uprade from Windows 10 Home addition to Windows 10 Pro

Uprade from Windows 10 Home addition to Windows 10 Pro: I have Laptop with Windows 10 Home and I want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. If I upgrade from my laptop the price is around Rs 8000 and if I buy Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft store the price is Rs 16000.My concern is 1. Whether I will get any new product key if I upgrade...
  6. 7 pro to 10 pro possible upgrade?

7 pro to 10 pro possible upgrade?: Hello all! Hopefully last post/question before I actually get my new 10 system up and running (Monday!). This just dawned on me right now. My computer that is on the verge of death, and being replaced is Win7 Pro (x64). The system I've purchased to replace it comes...
  7. Uprade Win10 pro 1809 to 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Uprade Win10 pro 1809 to 1909: I have attempted to Upgrade several times ....no success!I'm currently running 1809 OS build 17763.1039 [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uprade-win10-pro-1809-to-1909/7389f793-5263-4394-b5d8-3a62938c656e
  8. MSIX Core 1.1.0.0 is now available for Windows 7, 8, and 10

in Windows 10 News
    MSIX Core 1.1.0.0 is now available for Windows 7, 8, and 10: We are pleased to announce that MSIX Core 1.1.0.0 is now available for download. MSIX Core is to enable an enterprise to standardize on the MSIX packaging format for their applications. IT Pros can easily deploy the MSIX Core installer to their devices and enable install,...
  9. Is it possible to repair Windows 10 Home with Pro?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to repair Windows 10 Home with Pro?: I have a computer that won't start after an update, and I don't have a recovery drive. It was upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home for free. I would prefer to have Windows 10 Pro for greater control. If I buy a license for 10 Pro and download the...
  10. Win 8 Home OEM to 10 Pro.. via 7 Pro OEM disk?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 8 Home OEM to 10 Pro.. via 7 Pro OEM disk?: I've ordered a refurbished Asus laptop that has Win 8 Home preinstalled. I want to upgrade to Win 10 Pro. What'd be the ideal/doable path to do that, considering... I have Win 7 Pro OEM disc.. I don't have any Win 10 discs. Can I download and do clean install Win 10 Pro...