Windows 10: Is it possible to use part of hard drive with storage spaces?

Discus and support Is it possible to use part of hard drive with storage spaces? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm trying to create a storage pool for parity with 4 3TB drives and use 3TB of a 4TB drive that also has my OS. When I go to create the pool the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by donldmn, Aug 18, 2016.

1. donldmn Win User

Is it possible to use part of hard drive with storage spaces?

I'm trying to create a storage pool for parity with 4 3TB drives and use 3TB of a 4TB drive that also has my OS.

When I go to create the pool the 4 3TB drives show up but the unallocated space on the 4TB with my OS doesn't show up.

I have done some research and heard that this might be possible but it seems to be a case-by-case situation.

I'm running Windows 10 Home.

:)

donldmn, Aug 18, 2016

2. file history

Hi,

It's possible that those 3 files are part of your ASUS drive. Kindly check the hard drive through File Explorer, and check the files if they are needed to be stored in the storage.

Kindly update us on the results.

Patricia Yu, Aug 18, 2016
  3. HSZa57 Win User
    Is it possible to use DirectX 11 instead of DirectX 12 on Windows 10?

I installed Civilization V on my Computer but it won't run. When I start it, is asks to choose between DirextX 9 or DirectX 10/11. . If I click either, an error shows up. I checked and my version of DirectW is 12. I'm guessing that that is the problem.
    Am I right? and if yesis there a way to change it?

HSZa57, Aug 18, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

@donldmn

Don't include the OS as part of a Storage space.

Ideally use an SSD for the OS (cheap enough for a 120GB one -- plenty of space for programs and apps while keeping your whole Disk pool for the storage space.

You "Might be" better off with that configuration of HDD's to think about using RAID (either software or better hardware with a reasonably cheap hardware RAID controller -- simply insert RAID card into a slot and connect HDD's to the controller).

If you use a RAID controller - and if it allows 5 connections then you can also connect the SSD to it -- but create the SSD as a single logical drive in RAID 0 config. I would prefer though with an SSD to connect that directly to the mobo and just connect the other HDD's to the RAID controller.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 18, 2016
  5. RolandJS Win User
    Youse guys are way above my paygrade! You're high-end computer people!
    The only suggestion I have concerning backups:
    When at a moment peace and quiet reigns...PRETEND: that nothing software, OS-wise works, no internet, no internal HD boot, one or two of the internal HDs and/or one or two partitions within a particular internal HD - completely offline, computer posts but does not Windows boot at all, nothing normal is working.
    Like the fish in plastic bags in Finding Nemo -- What now? Exactly what are you going to do to restore your now non-working OS partition/OS software? Remember, nothing normal is working, no internet, no OS, posts but no boot, period. Again, what now?

RolandJS, Aug 18, 2016
  6. RolandJS Win User
    Because I have faced several times, over the years, What Now?!?!, I have two usb external 1TB HDs dedicated to each of my three computers. Assuming no hardware failures at the time, I make at least one full image each of OS and data partitions onto each dedicated usb ext HD -- sometimes weekly, sometime bi-monthly, sometimes in rapid succession if critical changes were being made to Windows 7 Pro. Assuming no hardware failures, I have reached for one of the two usb ext HDs and restored my OS partition [and once yearly my Data partition] onto my desktop or onto one of my two laptops. The above is the only reliable methodology I have for: What now?!?!

Hardware failure, like HD failure? Sure, I replace the HD, and then restore from my dedicated backups.

RolandJS, Aug 18, 2016
  7. donldmn Win User
    I don't want to include the OS itself as part of the storage space. I just want to 1TB of the drive for the OS and 3TB for storage spaces. I was going to install the system on an SSD but my SSD died as I upgraded from Windows 10.

My main goal now is to shove as much storage into my system as I can. My motherboard has 6 SATA connections and I added two SATA PCI-E cards to push it up to 10. I don't want to invest any more money and just use what I have laying around the house.

Summary: OS drive is 4TB = 1TB OS + 3TB storage spaces

I was thinking of mirroring the OS partition as a backup in case of any problems.

donldmn, Aug 18, 2016
  8. RolandJS Win User

Tell me more, I'm interested. I tried the cloning of HD0 onto HD1, I ran into Windows boot problems, so I converted over to making full images of HD0's OS and data partitions onto HD1, no more cloning. Is your mirroring the same as cloning? If yes, where would the clone reside?

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it possible to use part of hard drive with storage spaces? - Similar Threads - possible part hard

2. OneDrive Using Hard Drive Storage Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Using Hard Drive Storage Space: Why is OneDrive taking up space on my hard drive? The storage info says OneDrive is using 33 GB. I needed a new computer and bought one a few months ago. Had to get one with 128 GB because computers were sold out everywhere. I figured that since I have OneDrive, only the apps...
  3. Is it possible to use Windows "Storage Spaces" for the boot (C) drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to use Windows "Storage Spaces" for the boot (C) drive?: I want redundancy for my primary (C) boot drive and I wanted to use Storage Spaces to do a 2-way mirror, but I can't figure out how to set it up? Is it possible to do it for a primary drive? Specifically one that already contains a Win10 install? I have two identical SSD's....
  4. External hard drive not detected after using as storage space for Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive not detected after using as storage space for Windows 10 update: I cannot access my external hard drive after I tried to use it for storage space for a Windows 10 update. How can I access my files without reformatting my drive? When I go into disk management the option to choose a driver is not available....
  5. Hard drive disappeared after using Storage Space

Hard drive disappeared after using Storage Space: I migrated my SSD and two WD Blue 2TB hard drives to a new build. The two drives were originally a mirrored array. I wiped them in anticipation of the move to the new machine (old case had 9 3.5 drive bays, new case had 2). I converted the drives to basic disks and cloned my...
  6. Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size

Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size: I have read a lot about storage spaces and I do use it since it has been available to bundle my hard drives. Now I want to reduce the amount of drives, but I'm not sure whether I need to do it all at once creating a new pool with a new drive and moive the files or if I could...
  7. Used Hard Drive Space does not match

Used Hard Drive Space does not match: my c: drive says I've used 192G... when I select all folders and click properties its says I've used 80.1 G. How do I fix? [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  8. Creating storage spaces using 2 drives

Creating storage spaces using 2 drives: I have a workstation (HP z1) that only supports 2 drives. Is it possible to set up a mirrored storage space with this IF the OS (Windows 10) is on a separate partition and I mirror just the remainder of that drive with the other? I know Storage Spaces doesn't support...
  9. Hard drive storage space

Hard drive storage space: What is the maximum amount of storage space Windows 10 can recognize \ utilize? I am setting up external hard drives for multiple storage locations and I want to know what the limit is that windows can recognize and use at any given time. I contacted support and was told the...
  10. Hard Drive Space Used Bar Color

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hard Drive Space Used Bar Color: Greetings, I am going to abuse your good nature again! I am attempting to create a green theme in Windows 10. I am progressing rather well (background, Start10, explorer windows, etc). I have read a number of resources which show how to change hard drive icons. However,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows storage spaces os partition