Windows 10: Is it recommended to fresh install Windows 10 for a new SSD?

Discus and support Is it recommended to fresh install Windows 10 for a new SSD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi so for Christmas I had gotten a Crucial 525GB SSD drive and I'm happy about it. But I heard somewhere that its recommend to Install windows freshly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Redbatman, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Redbatman Win User

Is it recommended to fresh install Windows 10 for a new SSD?

Hi so for Christmas I had gotten a Crucial 525GB SSD drive and I'm happy about it. But I heard somewhere that its recommend to Install windows freshly on a new SSD rather than transfer your old info to it. Should I just install Windows 10 on my new SSD since I don't have too much sensitive info on my gaming PC.

:)

Redbatman, Dec 26, 2017

2. Just messed up when setting up a new PC - do I need a clean install? RESET? Win10

I would recommend a full fresh reinstall as no maintenance tasks or windows repair can make your system run new and shiny. I experienced this personally and even though this process is time consuming, i would recommend to go for a fresh install personally

Prabhu Kumar Reddy L, Dec 26, 2017
  3. is a fresh bios install required for clean windows install

ok thank you.

coreyskull, Dec 26, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

I would. Follow these instructions: Windows 10 - Clean Install

You don't need to do anything special for a SSD anymore. Windows will set it up and manage it just fine.

Ztruker, Dec 26, 2017
  5. Redbatman Win User
    I still have my Windows 10 is Usb that I bought a few years back. Can I use that or is it recommend to create a media usb?

Redbatman, Dec 26, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    It's always recommended to make a new USB, use the Media Creation Tool to do so.

*Arrow https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/download-windows-10-iso-file.1980/#option1

Your USB bought a few years back will be for an old version, 1511 at best, maybe even the original build 10240. Both versions are long out of support and would immediately start downloading and installing the latest version anyway. Far better (and quicker) to download it yourself and install it yourself.

7. Redbatman Win User
    What about the key will it be saved or will I have to re enter it. My gaming desktop is a custom built.

Redbatman, Dec 26, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Check what it currently says in Settings for activation. If it is already activated with a digital licence then the activation servers will have stored a a hardware ID for this PC. You can do a clean install of the same edition (Home or Pro) and skip entering a key when asked. This will activate automatically as soon as it contacts the activation servers. The hard drive does not count as part of the hardware ID, so the upgrade to an SSD makes no difference.

Upgrading the motherboard or CPU will change the ID though. A major upgrade like the processor can be done, but you'll first have to link the licence to your Microsoft Account and use the Activation Troubleshooter to reactivate.

Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

9. Redbatman Win User
    Well I'm just switching to an SSD and not chanigng the Motherboard or CPU.

And it says on activation that "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account.

Redbatman, Dec 26, 2017
  10. Redbatman Win User
    One more thing when I put in the New SSD I know I have to set it up as a boot drive and such. But for my old Terabyte WD Black I just wanna reformat it since it has windows on it too and use it as a extra storage for gaming applications. How do I format that? I also have a 2tb WD Black for more storage and its already configured as such. Do I have to change any of that or am I okay with the 2tb for the way it is

Redbatman, Dec 26, 2017
  11. AddRAM Win User
    Unplug all/any other drives before you install windows on the ssd, just disconnect their power cables.

After you have windows on the ssd, you can simply format the 1TB with Disk Management.

The 2TB should be fine the way it is, just hook up your other drives AFTER you install windows on the ssd.

AddRAM, Dec 26, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you have a perfectly running Windows 10 now, I just don't see how a clean install is going to do you any good. I would (and have in the past) just clone the perfectly good Windows 10 you have now (assuming there are no issues with it).

NavyLCDR, Dec 28, 2017
  13. CountMike New Member

Another vote for just cloning OS to new disk if all other conditions are satisfied (properly working system with a lot of installed programs/APPs) I'd suggest making a full backup using Macrium Reflect and restoring it on new drive.
    Using an older W10 disk/usb to do clean install would also have to download a lot of updates, maybe even full upgrade and things may go wrong at that time. It would be best to download latest version and use it fo clean install.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it recommended to fresh install Windows 10 for a new SSD? - Similar Threads - recommended fresh install

2. Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.: Hello!I have wanted to move my boot drive from a SATA SSD to a new M.2 NVME SSD I got for my custom desktop, and I've been unable to successfully boot Windows from that drive after installing windows 10 pro onto the new drive. I've successfully done the following:- I've...
  3. Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.: Hello!I have wanted to move my boot drive from a SATA SSD to a new M.2 NVME SSD I got for my custom desktop, and I've been unable to successfully boot Windows from that drive after installing windows 10 pro onto the new drive. I've successfully done the following:- I've...
  4. Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Fresh Install of Windows 11 on a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Install of Windows 11 on a new SSD: I'm in the middle of updating some hardware on my pc, and after installing windows on my new ssd, i cant seem to use windows 11 pro anymore. so i need to deactivate it on my old boot drive to use it?...
  6. Fresh Install of Windows 11 on a new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Install of Windows 11 on a new SSD: I'm in the middle of updating some hardware on my pc, and after installing windows on my new ssd, i cant seem to use windows 11 pro anymore. so i need to deactivate it on my old boot drive to use it?...
  7. Preforming a fresh installation of windows on a new ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Preforming a fresh installation of windows on a new ssd: I would like to get an ssd to house my OS and keep my large files and games on my current hdd. Instead of cloning the hdd, as it would be larger than the ssd. I would like to just install windows on the new drive but then does having two drives with windows installed conflict...
  8. Activate Windows 10 fresh installation on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Windows 10 fresh installation on new SSD.: Hello all, I just added an SSD to my PC and I've done a fresh Windows 10 installation, but am confused as to how I activate the installation. I have a digital license, do I just transfer that to the fresh installation? If so, how? Thank you....
  9. Windows 10 OEM fresh install on SSD (new drive)

Windows 10 OEM fresh install on SSD (new drive): hi, i need help on windows 10 OEM installation. So i bought SSD and want to install it on my laptop. i have the Windows 10 Home single language OEM key installed. the question is how can i install windows on the SSD with oem key? do i need the Windwos 10 Home Single language...
  10. Did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new SSD, no activation

Did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new SSD, no activation: I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8, and I no longer have the key for 7. From Windows 8.1 I upgraded to 10. Recently got an SSD, wanted to do a fresh install on it. Used media creation tool to make a USB copy. Booted from USB, formatted old hard drive, and loaded Windows onto new...