Windows 10: Is it safe to change CPU core setting in msconfig on HP laptop?

Discus and support Is it safe to change CPU core setting in msconfig on HP laptop? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have the HP beats special edition laptop. Processor model is: AMD A10-7300 APU with Radeon R6 Graphics 1.9 GHz, 4 MB cache. Is this processor safe to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BlueLightening, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Is it safe to change CPU core setting in msconfig on HP laptop?

I have the HP beats special edition laptop. Processor model is: AMD A10-7300 APU with Radeon R6 Graphics 1.9 GHz, 4 MB cache. Is this processor safe to change this setting on?

:)

BlueLightening, Sep 24, 2016

2. Windows 10: Is CPU Core Unparking safe to perform on Windows 10?

To be specific, I'm talking about GTA V. I am running it at the lowest settings and yet there is significant stuttering and tearing between frames. I searched the net for a fix and almost all sources mentioned unparking the CPU cores to get better fps.
    However, I also read that unparking may result in overheating of the cores and ultimately may cause damage. Which is why I'm asking if it is safe to do so. Also, since you asked, there are no problems in using the computer normally.

ShahryarSaify, Sep 24, 2016
  3. Windows 10: Is CPU Core Unparking safe to perform on Windows 10?

Original Title: CPU Core Unparking

I have an intel Core 2 Duo processor. I wish to unpark my cores to get better fps in certain games. Is it safe to do so? I'm running windows 10 Pro. Here are a few basic details about my pc:
    Is it safe to change CPU core setting in msconfig on HP laptop? [​IMG]

ShahryarSaify, Sep 24, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Is it safe to change CPU core setting in msconfig on HP laptop?

Use Task Manager, Performance tab and click on Open Resource Moniter at the bottom, see how many of the 4 cores are showing. Could be if all 4 cores are showing you may not want to limit the CPU to a lesser number of cores which I've found will usually affect performance.

Berton, Sep 24, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    Not sure what you want to change but, you shouldn't have to change anything in msconfig;
    if you set 'High Performance' power plan, no cores will be 'Parked', other plans will intermittently park cores limiting performance.

Balanced Power Plan:

Edwin, Sep 24, 2016
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    It is safe to change the core settings but what is the purpose in doing this?
    The default setting is with the checkbox unchecked which enables all cores. With this setting the number shown is of no consequence. The setting is provided for testing and diagnostic purposes, not for general use. Few people will ever have a need to change this. Setting a lower value will impair performance.

LMiller7, Sep 24, 2016
  7. yeah that last pic u posted with the number of cores, thats the setting i want to be sure if i change it to 4 will that kill my processor?

8. Is it safe to change CPU core setting in msconfig on HP laptop?

No. It will make all the disabled cores go to sleep. If you want them to work then enable all of them again.

RoasterMen, Sep 24, 2016
  9. Edwin New Member
    Do not fiddle with 'Number of Cores' in msconfig, Windows knows which cores to engage in which order at boot time!

Set your power plan to 'High Performance', right click on the CPU graph and choose "Change graph to ► Logical processors" then all cores will be utilized 100% during use.
    Never mind boot time.

Edwin, Sep 24, 2016
  10. Ok thanks guys for all the helpful advice. I tried changing the graph over to logical processors as well as changed my power plan to High Performance. I won't mess with the number of cores setting in msconfig. Thanks again for all the help!

11. Edwin New Member
    You're welcome, we're glad to help! *Smile

Edwin, Sep 24, 2016
  12. Probably would have fried my processor if i changed that setting lol

13. Edwin New Member

I've gotten a BSOD on 2 OEM laptops doing it! *Wink
    I think it wreaks havoc with the boot manager if you do!

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it safe to change CPU core setting in msconfig on HP laptop? - Similar Threads - safe change CPU

2. Administrator Settings: Changing Core Isolation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Administrator Settings: Changing Core Isolation: I need to download an exam software for school. To successfully use the program I must change the core isolation settings on my Microsoft Surface Pro 8. However, when I go to device security settings to change the toggle it reads, "This setting is managed by your...
  3. Administrator Settings: Changing Core Isolation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrator Settings: Changing Core Isolation: I need to download an exam software for school. To successfully use the program I must change the core isolation settings on my Microsoft Surface Pro 8. However, when I go to device security settings to change the toggle it reads, "This setting is managed by your...
  4. CPU cores missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU cores missing: Hi my name is Daniel and i seem to have a problem with my laptop.You see, i have a laptop with a Quad Core CPU. But when i checked the numbers of processors i have on the system configuration it only showed a maximum of 2.if anyone has a reason of how and why this is...
  5. Blue screen after changing msconfig settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen after changing msconfig settings: I recently upgraded my ram and realised that a whole 8gb was dedicated to hardware. I searched for a way to change this and came across a guy saying you should change the max memory value to 0 and uncheck the box under the boot tab in msconfig, so i blindly followed along. I...
  6. Is It Okay To Enable All 4 Core In msconfig setting CPU Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is It Okay To Enable All 4 Core In msconfig setting CPU Issue: Hi Guys I Enable All 4 Core In My Laptop Because They Say It Is Good For Gaming Does It Slow Down My Laptop Or Is It Better I Feel Like It Slow Down My Laptop I Don't Know? IntelR CoreTM i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz 8.00 GB Windows 10 Pro Version - 20H2 Please...
  7. In msconfig settings I Changed my processor cores from 4 to 1 and restarted computer. Can’t...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    In msconfig settings I Changed my processor cores from 4 to 1 and restarted computer. Can’t...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Thepkayexpress [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fgor8k/in_msconfig_settings_i_changed_my_processor_cores/
  8. I reacently changed my msconfig settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    I reacently changed my msconfig settings: So i just change my maximum boot memory to around 200 mb and now my pc crashes when i try to boot. So i made it into automatic repair and i am wondering what to do from there to reset my msconfig settings. Please help, i dont want to have to reset my pc....
  9. msconfig changes

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    msconfig changes: I took a picture of my msconfig and I noticed that in a day the numbers behind these 8 services changed they were DevicePicker_ DevicesFlow_ MessaginService_ Sync Host_ Contact data_ PrintWorkflow_ User data storage_ user data access_ they all had the same number...
  10. Can't Change ACHI settings on HP Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't Change ACHI settings on HP Laptop: Hi all. As usual I'm late to the party but finally upgraded to a 500 GB Samsung EVO 850 last night. The process was painless. I used Macrium to image the old drive, partitions and all, and it was a simple matter of restoring the images to the new drive. Took less...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 16 gb ram photo

2. made changes to number of processors under mscong how do i change back

3. is it safe to change number of cores in msconfig

4. is it safe to activate all the cores on your processor in win 10