Windows 10: Is it safe to delete a file in appdata

Discus and support Is it safe to delete a file in appdata in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Recently my avast has detected a pair of viruses in a file deep in my appdata more specifically the file C:\Users\My... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DanFlsamual21, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Is it safe to delete a file in appdata

Recently my avast has detected a pair of viruses in a file deep in my appdata more specifically the file C:\Users\My username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows . I can't find a file inside it that is infected and scanning each individual file inside it doesn't find a virus only when I scan the file itself. Avast states that it can't deal with the viruses by moving to chest deleting etc. I'm not sure what to do now is it safe to delete the entire windows file is there some cleaner I have to download to get rid of the viruses inside. I hope this isn't a thread I should write elsewhere.

:)

DanFlsamual21, Sep 26, 2016

2. Is it safe to delete a file from C:\Recovery ?

I do not want a larger laptop, and I do not want to buy another laptop. I just want to use the laptop I bought especially for travelling.

Ron

Ron Hewett, Sep 26, 2016
  3. photismos Win User
    Is it safe to delete a file from C:\Recovery ?

I'm wondering the same thing, but how aggravating is stupid? Thanks for asking the simple question none of these 'experts' managed to answer, i.e., Can you delete Recover? Can we live without it? Have you?

Seems to be that if we need a straight yes or no with a few conditions, this really isn't the place to be. Why is that? Shall we ask the **** here who thought we could forget all about the 32-GB SSD permanently affixed to the damn mobo? We better be careful,
    because if these cheap pansies get the idea our problem isn't big enough for them, they might advise we create a bigger problem than the one we originally had... 'Smart' guys. Stupid people...

photismos, Sep 26, 2016
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

Is it safe to delete a file in appdata

You can upload them to VirusTotal to have a second opinion.

eLPuSHeR, Sep 26, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    Can you post a screenshot of the Avast window and what info it gives when scanning the folder please?

Yes, there are a few scans you can try to see if you can get rid of them. I'd like to see the screenshot first, to make recommendations.

simrick, Sep 27, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    p,s, Do you have View Hidden Files enabled? and, welcome to Tenforums! *Smile

simrick, Sep 27, 2016
  7. I have decided to simply take my computer to a shop to get it fixed rather then try to fix the virus myself as the virus was hidden even when i had view hidden files and countless programs I used had no effect on the virus. I had also read up on rootkits which the virus was and decided it would be best to keep my computer turned off. Thank you simrick for the warm welcome.

DanFlsamual21, Sep 29, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Cheers and good luck! *Smile

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it safe to delete a file in appdata - Similar Threads - safe delete file

2. Deletion of font in AppData file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deletion of font in AppData file: I installed Helvetica Font on my computer to use in a project but now it affected the appearance of some websites that I frequently use. I've deleted it from my fonts folder but the websites didn't change back to its normal font. I searched for the font and found it under...
  3. Deletion of font in AppData file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deletion of font in AppData file: I installed Helvetica Font on my computer to use in a project but now it affected the appearance of some websites that I frequently use. I've deleted it from my fonts folder but the websites didn't change back to its normal font. I searched for the font and found it under...
  4. Deletion of font in AppData file

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Are these files safe to delete?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are these files safe to delete?: In my "Other People" tab, it says this is using nearly 80GB of my C Drive Storage, so I navigated to my Users folder only to find THOUSANDS of folders, are these safe to delete? They seem to be created each time I log in to my system, and hold absolutely nothing of value, yet...
  6. Are these files safe to delete?

Are these files safe to delete?: In my "Other People" tab, it says this is using nearly 80GB of my C Drive Storage, so I navigated to my Users folder only to find THOUSANDS of folders, are these safe to delete? They seem to be created each time I log in to my system, and hold absolutely nothing of value, yet...
  7. Is it safe to delete files in the appdata/roaming folder if I copied the files to an...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it safe to delete files in the appdata/roaming folder if I copied the files to an...: I installed a game onto my laptop a few months back and just played it recently, only to find the files and folders in the appdate/roaming folder just bit a large chunk out of my disk space the large amounts of space that Windows updates take up don't help either, especially...
  8. Is it safe to delete files in the appdata/roaming folder if I copied the files to an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete files in the appdata/roaming folder if I copied the files to an...: I installed a game onto my laptop a few months back and just played it recently, only to find the files and folders in the appdate/roaming folder just bit a large chunk out of my disk space the large amounts of space that Windows updates take up don't help either, especially...
  9. Is it safe to delete files in the appdata/roaming folder if I copied the files to an...

10. Which folders under AppData are safe/OK to delete?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Which folders under AppData are safe/OK to delete?: Hi. This questions really pertains to this one right here -> “Microsoft Community” and here -> “Microsoft community forum”. Now I am just wondering which one of the four folders under AppData are safe to delete? Screenshot is below. Please help. [ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. I have a virus hidden in my appdata how to delete

2. i have a virus in appdata

3. is it safe to delete appdata