Windows 10: Is it safe to delete the system managed account named 'DefaultAccount'

Discus and support Is it safe to delete the system managed account named 'DefaultAccount' in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi everyone. As the title says.... Is it safe to delete the system managed account named 'DefaultAccount' or does the system need it? [img]... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by everway9, Oct 15, 2016.

1. everway9 Win User

Is it safe to delete the system managed account named 'DefaultAccount'

Hi everyone.

As the title says.... Is it safe to delete the system managed account named 'DefaultAccount' or does the system need it?

Is it safe to delete the system managed account named 'DefaultAccount' [​IMG]

Many thanks in advance. *Smile

:)

everway9, Oct 15, 2016

2. Cant login as admin

Here is an easy-to-read summary of your report:

Administrator DefaultAccount Guest

Zer0zGOD

User name Administrator

Account active No

Local Group Memberships *Administrators

User name DefaultAccount

Account active No

Local Group Memberships *HomeUsers

User name Guest

Account active No

Local Group Memberships *Guests

User name Zer0zGOD

Account active Yes

Local Group Memberships *HomeUsers

It says that the only active account is your own. Since Windows 10 does not let you demote or delete the last active admin account you need to tell us what happened.

Did you use console commands to delete an admin account?

Since when have you had this problem?

Did it already exist under Windows 7?

Frederik Long, Oct 15, 2016
  3. my pc have 3 built in accounts?

why i cant delete account named defaultaccount cmd saying it is build- in account.
    Is it safe to delete the system managed account named 'DefaultAccount' [​IMG]

sachithsiriwardana, Oct 15, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

This is an undocumented account but, like Administrator and Guest, is a built-in account. After much searching it seems that this this thread gets deeper than most (but not by much) into what its for. Oh, and by the way...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r307...some-questions

...so apparently you can't delete DefaultAccount (or Administrator and Guest) even if you wanted to. (Probably for the best.)

Theories on what it is for (there being no documentation) fall into two main camps:

1) It's the template for all new user accounts. I tend to think this is wrong - surely that is what the hidden C:\users\Default folder is for.

2)...
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...ew2014Feedback
    ...which sounds plausible.

5. Mystere Win User
    DefaultAccount is located in C:\Users\Default. There is no C:\Users\DefaultAccount folder.

Mystere, Oct 15, 2016
  6. everway9 Win User
    Hi Bree. Thanks for taking the time to reply with what is some very helpful information. I'm very grateful. *Smile

everway9, Oct 15, 2016
  7. everway9 Win User
    Thanks for your input too Mystere. *Smile

everway9, Oct 15, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

Huh? I didn't say there was, did I?

9. Mystere Win User
    You said that you didn't believe that DefaultAccount was the template used creating new accounts, and said that C:\Users\Default was used for that, implying that you thought they were different accounts. I was pointing out that DefaultAccount *IS* C:\Users\Default.

Mystere, Oct 15, 2016
  10. everway9 Win User
    Before I created this thread there was 2 accounts with the word 'Default' in the name.

I really should have posted before I deleted one of them. I obviously didn't delete the one which is called 'DefaultAccount' because as you can see on my screenshot 'DefaultAccount' is still there.

I wish I could remember what it was called.

So on new Windows 10 Enterprise installs...... for me anyway, it creates 5 user accounts. Administrator, 'Your current user name', 'Guest', 'DefaultAccount' and then the other 'default' one, which ever it was before I deleted it. Could it have been 'Default User'?

*Rolleyes

everway9, Oct 16, 2016
  11. Mystere Win User
    There is often an account called "Default.migrated", which can be safely deleted. This is your "old" default account prior to a migration which occurred during an upgrade.

Mystere, Oct 16, 2016
  12. everway9 Win User
    No.. it wasn't called 'Default.migrated. I'm not saying you are wrong.. just that that's not what the account that I deleted was called.

Hummm... *Think

everway9, Oct 16, 2016
  13. Bree New Member

That is a slightly misleading use of the word 'account'. The folders you refer to are more accurately called the user's Profile, not their Account. Accounts are the list of SIDs held in the registry under HKEY_USERS. The user's profile is found at %USERPROFILE%\NTUSER.DAT which is the Hive that is loaded into the registry as HKEY_CURRENT_USER at logon plus their Desktop, Start and other folders.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

You can create an account, but until the user logs in there's no user profile to go with it. At first logon on a new profile folder is created for the user. The %USERPROFILE% folder (by default, created at C:\Users\<username>) is a copy of the default user profile found at C:\Users\Default, modified to personalise it for the specific user. That's why it takes so long and you see all those 'Hi, we're getting things ready...' messages the first time you log on.

It use to be so easy in XP to customise the Default Profile, just create an account, log in and rearrange it as you wish. Then log out, rename the profile folder as 'Default User' (renaming or deleting the original one first) and delete the account you used to make it. It's got progressively more complicated since then, by now requiring the use of the Sysprep tool, as @Kari explains...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...0-a.html#Part2

It's not clear what (if any) part the DefaultAccount plays in all this, particularly as...
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r307...some-questions

14. Kari Win User
  15. Mystere Win User
    Yes, I misspoke. Default.migrated is an old user profile that can typically be safely deleted.

Mystere, Oct 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Is it safe to delete the system managed account named 'DefaultAccount' - Similar Threads - safe delete system

2. Is it safe to delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001: Hello so i would like to know if is it safe to delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001 in the regedit or not . If it is not can you tell me why ? Because i saw that controlset001 is only a backup of currentcontrolset so i though that i deleting controlset001 it will be...
  3. Is it safe to delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001: Hello so i would like to know if is it safe to delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001 in the regedit or not . If it is not can you tell me why ? Because i saw that controlset001 is only a backup of currentcontrolset so i though that i deleting controlset001 it will be...
  4. Is it safe to delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can DefaultAccount and Guest users of Windows 10 be deleted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can DefaultAccount and Guest users of Windows 10 be deleted?: We have an application built on Windows 10. We are not using DefaultAccount and Guest users anywhere in our application. Due to security concerns, it is not recommended to have additional users which are not in use. Can we delete these two accounts during the installation of...
  6. Can DefaultAccount and Guest users of Windows 10 be deleted?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can DefaultAccount and Guest users of Windows 10 be deleted?: We have an application built on Windows 10. We are not using DefaultAccount and Guest users anywhere in our application. Due to security concerns, it is not recommended to have additional users which are not in use. Can we delete these two accounts during the installation of...
  7. Can DefaultAccount and Guest users of Windows 10 be deleted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. unrelated friend named as defaultaccount in CMD? lacking admin rights on files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    unrelated friend named as defaultaccount in CMD? lacking admin rights on files: [ATTACH] So i don't know how the hell i accomplished this, but somehow a friends name is stated as default account and im missing administrator privileges on ALOT of files I'm a hardware guy and completely clueless on software so i'd love some help on how to fix this...
  9. Can I safely delete this 2nd account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can I safely delete this 2nd account: I am using a Microsoft account. There is a 2nd account displayed under Settings->Accounts. There is -no- Remove button though. I used lusrmgr.msc to display all details, which please find below. I wonder whether it is safe to delete 'users' there. Please find below:...
  10. DefaultAccount purpose?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    DefaultAccount purpose?: Does anybody know the purpose of this account? It seems I've never seen this back then when I was running Windows 8.1 [img] 21684

Users found this page by searching for:

1. C:\Users\DefaultAccount delete

2. defaultaccount a user account managed by the system

3. 2016 defaultaccount delete

4. defaultaccount A user account managed by the system.