Windows 10: Is it safe to delete Win7?

Discus and support Is it safe to delete Win7? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I installed Windows 10 Pro in 2015. My SSD is running out of room and I'd like to delete the folder "Win7" that was created when I installed 10. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Oshad, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Oshad Win User

Is it safe to delete Win7?

Hi, I installed Windows 10 Pro in 2015. My SSD is running out of room and I'd like to delete the folder "Win7" that was created when I installed 10. Is that safe to do?

:)

Oshad, Dec 20, 2017
  2. garym123 Win User

Is it safe to delete WUDownloadCache?

The phone put it there, the phone will manage it. Yes, it is risky.

garym123, Dec 20, 2017
  3. Is it safe to delete WUDownloadCache?

I have this folder in my SD, it is about 3GB. Is it riksy if I delete this folder?

Thanks

Mau_Hernandez, Dec 20, 2017
  4. Is it safe to delete Win7?

Hi Oshad. Welcome to the TenForums @Oshad

If you are asking do you need Windows 7 to re-install Windows 10 the answer is no. Your machine has been recorded on the Microsoft servers and you can do a clean install of 10 using the media Microsoft provides at their download site.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 20, 2017
  5. Oshad Win User
    Thanks, Ken. No, I installed Windows 10 in 2015 and have been using it just fine ever since. When I installed Win 10, the directions were to create a folder called Win7 with various old program files. I'd like to delete the folder "Win7" to free up much-needed space, but I don't want to make programs inoperable. So I guess I'm asking if Windows 10 uses the files it had me put in Win7 during the installation? Thanks!

Oshad, Dec 20, 2017
  6. Not to my knowledge. Your Windows 10 is self sufficient.

I was unaware of those directions, did these come from your PC maker? The upgrades I did created a "Fallback" process on its own, as the Feature updates do today. I also used a backup process in case things went down the drain.

As a safety step you could create an image with a tool like Macrium Reflect. This gives you a recovery path.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

or you could rename the folder win7.old and test a few.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 20, 2017
  7. Oshad Win User
    I'll give that a try and report back. Thanks!

Oshad, Dec 20, 2017
  8. Is it safe to delete Win7?

Or you could just 'copy' the Windows 7 folder to a usb thumb drive. Verify the copy and remove the original from your system.

You could run Disk Cleanup and see if it finds your old Windows 7. If so, you just check mark it and follow the instruction to remove it.

This tutorial by Brink will guide you.

Delete Windows.old Folder in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Jack.

Layback Bear, Dec 20, 2017
  9. Oshad Win User
    First: Thanks for all the help! Even though I'm the admin for my computer, I get this error message when I try to delete the file
    Is it safe to delete Win7? [​IMG]

Is it safe to delete Win7? [​IMG]

Oshad, Dec 20, 2017
  10. If you are logged in as the administrator I really don't understand why you are getting the error.

I'm very new to Windows 10 so I will not be able to help you with your permission problem.

Sorry.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 20, 2017
  11. Caledon Ken, Dec 20, 2017
  12. You can go here -> Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 download it and run it. Then go in file explorer and highlight the win7 directory and right click and select take ownership. After that is done, you can delete that directory .

storageman, Dec 20, 2017
  13. Oshad Win User

Thanks, again. I was finally able to delete the folder by making my User/administrator account the "Owner" of the folder. It freed-up a lot of space on my 250GB SSD drive, which I use as a program disk with all data going to a 4TB hard disk drive. I just hope I haven't deleted anything I'll need to run programs. So far, so good!

Oshad, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it safe to delete Win7? - Similar Threads - safe delete Win7

2. Is it safe to delete .?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete .?: Hi I need help to free up some of my SSD storage because I only have 200-300 MB of space left on my hard drive, so please suggest what I should do before it crashes. Is it safe to delete . if it doesn’t contain any of my personal documents? I want to clarify that I haven’t...
  3. Is it safe to delete .?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to delete .?: Hi I need help to free up some of my SSD storage because I only have 200-300 MB of space left on my hard drive, so please suggest what I should do before it crashes. Is it safe to delete . if it doesn’t contain any of my personal documents? I want to clarify that I haven’t...
  4. is it safe to delete these?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is it safe to delete these?: I have an external hard drive with 1.81TB of storage on it but now it's down to 139GB so I went to check what was taking it up and found a load of files taking up almost 1.3TB of storage called "E/assembly". Inside of this are folders called "NativeImagesv...."then a load of...
  5. is it safe to delete these?

is it safe to delete these?: I have an external hard drive with 1.81TB of storage on it but now it's down to 139GB so I went to check what was taking it up and found a load of files taking up almost 1.3TB of storage called "E/assembly". Inside of this are folders called "NativeImagesv...."then a load of...
  6. Are these safe to delete?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Are these safe to delete?: Hello there. I found a folder in my Appdata\Local folder called "CrashDumps" that's taking up a good bit of space. I've heard these kinds of files are safe to delete, but I want to be sure just in case....
  7. Are these safe to delete?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are these safe to delete?: Hello there. I found a folder in my Appdata\Local folder called "CrashDumps" that's taking up a good bit of space. I've heard these kinds of files are safe to delete, but I want to be sure just in case....
  8. Are these safe to delete?

9. is it safe to delete these

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    is it safe to delete these: I asked a similar question yesterday i learned of mroe folder i could delete but again i need an expert input. can I delete all these all these folders as well?[ATTACH]...
  10. Safe To Delete?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Safe To Delete?: The root directory of my C drive contains stuff that seems like garbage to me. 1. $SysReset: Contains an empty Logs folder. Haven't done any kind of reset/refresh--don't even know what that means. 2. Driver_allOS: Contains a folder called Audio. This contains lots of...