Windows 10: Is it safe to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10?

Discus and support Is it safe to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I remember seeing some stuff about how Windows 10 would wipe all other partitions, so I'm just wondering if that's still a problem. *sarc And if so,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Arcturus, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Arcturus Win User

Is it safe to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10?

I remember seeing some stuff about how Windows 10 would wipe all other partitions, so I'm just wondering if that's still a problem. *sarc

And if so, can you select which partition to install on? ( I'd assume definitely so, but.. )

:)

Arcturus, Jun 16, 2015

2. is it possible to Dual boot, dual drive Windows 7 & Windows 10

Just reboot to switch between the version of Windows you are currently using and the Windows 10. The concept is the same for the released version of Windows 10 as it is for the Preview builds / versions.

How to dual boot Windows 10 Preview with Windows 8.1
    http://www.pagestart.com/win81dbwin10tp0112151.html

How to uninstall or remove Windows 10 from a Windows 8.1 dual boot computer
    http://www.pagestart.com/win81rmovwin100105151.html

How to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 Technical Preview
    http://www.pagestart.com/win7win10tpdb10121401.html

How to uninstall or remove Windows 10 from a Windows 7 dual boot computer
    http://www.pagestart.com/win7rmovewin100105151.html

How to dual boot Windows 10 Technical Preview with Windows Vista:
    http://www.pagestart.com/vistadbwin10tp1218141.html

How to dual boot Windows 10 Technical Preview with Windows XP
    http://www.pagestart.com/winxpdbwin10tp1206141.html

:
    http://www.pagestart.com

J W Stuart, Jun 16, 2015
  3. is it possible to Dual boot, dual drive Windows 7 & Windows 10

I have a laptop with two hard drives, one has Windows 7 Pro installed with the license key for the machine and on the second drive which the Windows 7 does not know about i want to install Windows 10 using a different license. Is this possible without
    the product keys clashing.

Feargalo shea, Jun 16, 2015
  4. sgage Win User

Sure it's safe - I do it every day, and have been all along. When you run the Win10 installer, simply select 'Custom Install', and you can choose what partition to put it on.

sgage, Jun 16, 2015
  5. Boozad Win User
    Yep, I've been dual booting for quite a while now with no issues.

Boozad, Jun 17, 2015
  6. Jools Win User
    You need to turn off Fast/Hybrid startup though to avoid filesystem corruption.

Jools, Jun 17, 2015
  7. Gary Win User
    I have Win 10 and Win 7 installed on two separate hard drives and I tried and failed to dual boot then about 4 times. I even tried to use easybcd and failed.

8. Is it safe to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10?

I have Win 7 and Win 10 installed on two different SSD's and it works perfect. I always disconnect the other drives before installing any OS as in the past this caused a problem. Since I have disconnected the other drives prior to installing Win 10, it has worked perfect.

stealth2920, Jun 17, 2015
  9. Follow the steps in this tutorial and you'll be good-to-go.

Windows 10 - Dual Boot with Windows 7 or Windows 8 - Windows 10 Forums

Read through the tut and ask questions before beginning, it's easier to answer a question than correct a misstep.

There have been some issues with some drives on some machines on some releases, but generally those are isolated cases. I had one back in rls 041 (or 049). It did NOT wipe my other volumes, but the System Reserve partition got fubar'd. It wasn't difficult to fix though.

Please post a screen shot of Disk Management so members can provide advice specific to your machine.
    See: How to Post a Screenshot of Disk Management

Slartybart, Jun 17, 2015
  10. Gary Win User
    I did follow the instructions but I did not see what to do after this:

My Windows 7 Disk does not have a 350 Mb space before win t starts

Is it safe to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10? [​IMG]

My Win 10 does have one.

I had Windows 7 disconnected when I installed Windows 10 but I do not use SSD's.

11. Thanks Gary,

Let's try it this way. How do you want to install Win10
    upgrade your win7
    replace your win7
    dual boot with win7

If you're going to replace win7, backup your data and the launch an elevated Command prompt
    enter the following commands (*** are comments not part of the command set)
    diskpart
    lis vol
    sel vol 1
    *** this should be your Win7 volume - the label helps identify it.
    *** if the Win7 volume is a different number - select that number
    lis dis
    *** the disk with Win7 on it should be the selected disk (there's an asterisk on the left of the selected object)
    *** if you are certain that you have the correct disk selected - be very certain! - issue the next command to wipe the disk
    clean
    exit *** exit diskpart
    exit *** exit cmd
    Now install Win10 (custom) onto the unallocated space from external media (USB or DVD)
    Don't format the disk - let Windows do all the work.
    If you want to multi-boot I suggest that you change the disk schema first. I'm not sure that it is required, but you've had some difficulties and it might be that your active partition is also your Win7 Boot partition.

Minitool Partition Wizard makes this relatively easy.
    Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online

Download the Free Edition (top of the list)
    -- or --
    Partition Wizard Bootable CD Free Edition (2nd from the bottom)

I tend to use the bootable CD when working on System disks - just so the OS doesn't argue or complain.

One you have PW ready, I'd like to see a full Disk Managment screen shot before offering other advice.
    The process will go something like this
    1) shrink C: by 450 MB
    2) slide C: to the right so that there is 450 MB free on the left
    3) setup the System Reserve volume - I'll need to revisit the specs or look at my system for reference
    4) set the new System Reserve as the active partition
    5) Run Win7 Startup Repair move the necessary files form C: to System Reserve.

Don't try this at home *Wink

Let me know how you want to install Win10, post the full disk management screen shot, and get PW ready.
    I'll collect some other information that will help (there's a tutorial on SevenForums that describes moving the active partition from C: or to C: )

This is a bit of work, but it's not too difficult. Most of it is preparation and information gathering. The actual process might take less than 30 minutes.

Then once the disk schema look right to me, you can shrink C; some more (30 GB is enough to test Win10) and install Win10 to that unallocated space.

The key in both scenarios is unallocated space.

Slartybart, Jun 17, 2015
  12. Gary Win User
    Thanks slarty but at this point I really do not want to re install Windows 10. The last time I shrunk my Windows 7 disk it took a couple of hours. My wife is leaving for Arizona in the morning so I will be tied up with that. I think the problem is that I do not have the open space before the Win 7 install as you said. I also have move windows 7 back and forth to several drives using MR. I don't know if that is a problem but it could be. Thanks Again for your help.

13. Is it safe to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10?

You're welcome Gary,

I understand ... it's frustrating to try these things over and over without success.

Once you get a good disk schema (not that your is bad for Win7) you won't have to muck with it anymore, except to make a new image that reflects the new schema.

Could you feed MS your experience - since you don't have Win10 installed, use the Insider forum. I'm sure that you're not the only person to have the System information on the Boot partition. If that is the problem ...

I helped two members work around an issue by growing the System Reserve part - so it sounds as though it might help your install too. I also read a post by where the install created a new 450 MB partition to the right of the Boot part - but that had to be a GPT initialized disk. So I think MS is trying to figure these things out.

There really isn't a requirement for the System part to be to the left of Boot, it's just 'safer'. The first active part is the one that gets used, so it's common to make the part 1 the active part.

MR = Macrium Reflect?

I'll keep this thread subscribed in case you decide later to give it one more shot.

Bill

Slartybart, Jun 18, 2015
  14. Gary Win User
    I have Win 10 installed build 10130 , but I don't have it connected right now. I think that dual booting would work better for me if I just did a clean install with both disks connected. Yes MR=Macrium Reflect.*Smile

15. That makes it really easy then - a bit different work and a bit of experimentation.

Here are some things to chew on. If I'm too shorthanded - ask me to clarify. These are just notes to consider.

Backup your Win7 BCD

If you can wipe the 2nd HDD - use diskpart to clean (not clean all) the 2nd HDD
    if not - stop reading here *Wink

use diskpart to set the Win7 part inactive

Boot to the Win10 install media

Install Win10 (custom) to the unallocted (or RAW) 2nd HDD

This will create the disk schema ... will it a 450 MB System part - I'm not sure, it might only create a 100 MB System part.
    As long as the HDD is unallocated when you begin the install, the System part will be created.

Now you have two HDDs, each with a Windows installation. Both have a means to boot, but the Win7 drive has been 'turned off' and the Win10 HDD doesn't know about the Win7 install (it might pick it up, but I don't think it does).

You can use Disk Management to make the Win7 the active part, but you still won't have a dual boot. And ... and the xxx MB system part is on the other HDD. This is just a way to boot to Win7 until I (or some other member) help with writing the Win7 boot information to the Win10 BCD.

Here's where I need to find the method to incorporate your Win7 install into the Win10 BCD. There are a few ways, but I always have to refresh my memory.

EasyBCD might be the best, there's also VisualBCD, but I've never used that. Native BCDedit would do it too.

Thinking out loud while you take care of the things you need to do at home.

Slartybart, Jun 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Is it safe to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10? - Similar Threads - safe dual boot

2. Dual booting Windows 7 and 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting Windows 7 and 10: I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, boot mode is 'Legacy BIOS in UEFI secure boot not supported', motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with a 100 Mhz bus, 16GB memory and 'UEFI: American Megatrends F5 05/16/2013' with a 250GB SSD. I want to dual boot with W7 and W10....
  3. Windows 7/10 dual boot?

Windows 7/10 dual boot?: About time I changed to Windows 10 (Pro) I guess. However, I would perhaps (still mulling pros and cons) like to have a dual boot with my current Windows 7 (Home) - the PC is 99% used for gaming (X-Plane 11) and some of the older hardware I use, and want to keep, such as a...
  4. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  5. Dual booting Windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Windows 10 and 7: I have a machine with the following specs: i5 3570K 8GB DDR3 1600 Z77 Pro4-M HD7950 1x1TB WD Blue (D:\ and F:\ Windows 7 x64) 1x250GB Seagate Surveillance HDD (C:\) (Windows 10 x64) Windows 7 is installed on the 1TB drive, and Windows 10 is installed on the 250GB drive. At...
  6. Dual booting windows 7 and 10

Dual booting windows 7 and 10: I have just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10... I've bought a new ssd to install windows 10, but it was installed over my windows 7(in the old ssd) in the process.... Articles in this forum say that you cannot dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, since once you proceed to...
  7. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  8. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  9. Dual Boot Windows 7 And 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 And 10: I have been running Windows 7 on a Dell OptiPlex 960. The 960 has 2 hard drives. I made a system image, (Macrium) of drive C, (Windows 7) I then installed that image on the second hard drive (F). I unplugged the first hard drive, (C) and booted into second drive, (F), fired...
  10. Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7

Dual boot with Windows 10 and 7: When I ordered my new Windows 10 laptop it was ordered with a 1TB SSD, I expected it to be a single 1TB SSD, but it arrived with 2 SSDs, both of which are 500 GB and have different drive letters. The first SSD is the Windows 10 op sys drive with installed apps. The second one...