Windows 10: Is it "safe" to keep external hard drives awake 24/7 ?

Discus and support Is it "safe" to keep external hard drives awake 24/7 ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; One small niggle I have is the 6 external HDDs I have, which are connected to docks, constantly take about 5 seconds to come to life when needed, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BlizzardUK, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Is it "safe" to keep external hard drives awake 24/7 ?

One small niggle I have is the 6 external HDDs I have, which are connected to docks, constantly take about 5 seconds to come to life when needed, I suddenly hear them whir up when I click on them or save to them. I have turned off "sleep" in Power settings, but this doesn't seem to help. I saw some software that can keep drives alive by writing a small text file to them every few minutes. Can someone tell me if there are any negatives to keeping them awake 24/7 ? My PC is left on all the time. Will they overheat, or is that only when they are having a lot of use ? Is it no different to my internal drives being on "0" in the power settings ?

Thanks !

:)

BlizzardUK, Aug 15, 2017
  2. Igrowine Win User

Windows 10: System Icons such as Network icon and Safely Remove Hardware icon is not displaying correctly in the Notification Area.

I did realize that when an external hard drive is disconnected from the computer that the "Safely Remove Device" icon disappears. It will reappear in the taskbar as soon as an external drive is connected.

Igrowine, Aug 15, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Is it safe to keep my external hard drive connected?

I don't use File History, so I can't help you with that. I have always preferred third-party backup software.

Ransomware will try to encrypt - just as malware will try to infect - any files and folder that are physically connected to your computer. That means at least some of your recent backups need to be stored in a location that is
    not physically connected to your computer.

BulldogXX, Aug 15, 2017
  4. Is it "safe" to keep external hard drives awake 24/7 ?

It should be no problem leaving them run all the time. The only time a hard drive generates heat is when randomly seeking for long periods of time. However I personally have have about 8 external drives all in enclosures. I always like to have a fan. I do not leave them run 24/7, since they are primarily used for backups. But when they are in use, I'm pumping large amounts of data in the shortest period of time and they do get warm in that environment.

storageman, Aug 15, 2017
  5. It's no different than internal drives, assuming the external cages have some kind of cooling system. If not, those drives will likely run hotter.

On a side noe, if I had 6 external drives running all the time, I'd ditch them in favor of a NAS. My NAS runs 24x7 and uses 4 drives that I chose, knowing they were designed to be run 24x7 (WD Red). I get the benefit of a RAID array, instead of running multiple single drives, as in, one drive dies, I lose nothing.

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is it "safe" to keep external hard drives awake 24/7 ?

1. Is it "safe" to keep external hard drives awake 24/7 ? - Similar Threads - safe keep external

2. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive: Hi,I read somewhere few weeks back that Windows 11 has a feature, if turned on, removes the need to eject the external hard drive, i.e., the external drive can be removed safely without going through the ejection process. Note: I have not been able to locate that article.I...
  3. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive: Hi,I read somewhere few weeks back that Windows 11 has a feature, if turned on, removes the need to eject the external hard drive, i.e., the external drive can be removed safely without going through the ejection process. Note: I have not been able to locate that article.I...
  4. Safe removal of external hard disk / Jump drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to Safely Stop CHKDSK /f of External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to Safely Stop CHKDSK /f of External Hard Drive: Dear TenForums, I have been unable to access my external harddrive for some time, why I chose to run CHKDSK /f. Unfortunately, I believe that the drive is fully corrupted since the check has now lasted 24 hours and is only at 2 percent (Please see screen dump from promt). I...
  6. External hard drive keeps disconnecting and conntecting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive keeps disconnecting and conntecting: I tried disabling the usb setting in power options with no luck. Is this my drive thats become defective or can i try something else? Thanks in advance Btw the drive works fine until is disconnects submitted by /u/dean_yyy [link] [comments]...
  7. My external hard drive keeps disconnecting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My external hard drive keeps disconnecting: I bought an external hard drive a couple of months ago and it has been working perfectly but a couple of days ago it started to randomly disconnect. What I have already tried: Try a different USB-Port - It disconnected more frequently in my other USB port Update drivers...
  8. Install Windows 7 on my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 7 on my external hard drive: Hello, I have copied all the files of the Windows 7 OS to my external hard drive and I want to make this one bootable in order to install Windows 7 on it. Could you help me with this, please? My actual OS is Windows 10. Thank you!...
  9. External hard drive

External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  10. Can't disconnect external hard drive safely?

Can't disconnect external hard drive safely?: I connected two external hard drives last night to transfer information, I then tried removing them as I believed all was done but the external hard drive I was transferring onto was still in use and couldn't be removed so I left the computer running all night hoping it would...