Windows 10: Is it Safe to Remove Duplicates from Device Manager?

Discus and support Is it Safe to Remove Duplicates from Device Manager? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; In device manager I got several drivers with the same name. Are these duplicates and can I delete them leaving only one of course? Look at the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by yahanna, Jan 18, 2017.

1. yahanna Win User

Is it Safe to Remove Duplicates from Device Manager?

In device manager I got several drivers with the same name. Are these duplicates and can I delete them leaving only one of course? Look at the screenshot. Circled in red you'll find the duplicates.

:)

yahanna, Jan 18, 2017
  2. Ken Blake Win User

Is it safe to remove HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry?

See DaveM121's reply. I'll second what he said. Do *not* do this.

Please point us to the tutorial you are talking about.

Ken Blake, Jan 18, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Is it safe to remove HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry?

Glad to help, if you have any more questions, please contact us here at MS Community!

DaveM121, Jan 18, 2017
  4. Is it Safe to Remove Duplicates from Device Manager?

Hi yahanna

Probably a good idea just to leave them, otherwise you might cause some problems for your computer.
    I also have duplicate drivers in my system devices. As of now they are working fine so my advice would be not to delete them *Wink (unless you know what they are and are confident they are not vital components needed for your computer to run properly)

Not sure exactly what causes the duplication of these drivers, maybe another member could explain why...

ellellell1, Jan 18, 2017
  5. Don't remove those! Your Motherboard has multiple fan headers that can be pragramatically probed and adjusted. Windows needs those.

slicendice, Jan 18, 2017
  6. Wullail Win User
    If they're not inactive (greyed out) , best leave those all alone...

Wullail, Jan 18, 2017
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Many computers have multiple devices of the same kind (USB hubs is a good example, as noted earlier). Each device needs a driver, so it will have its own entry in Device Manager. When you see multiples of the same thing without checking "Show hidden devices" that means everything you see is active (present on your PC) and ready to be used. Sure, you can disable items you're absolutely sure you won't use ever (at least not without re-enabling them). But I wouldn't advise uninstalling them because Windows will usually reinstall them the next time you reboot, unless you take further pre-emptive action.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 18, 2017
  8. Is it Safe to Remove Duplicates from Device Manager?

Never ever a good idea. It means there are multiple devices using the same driver. If you had a dual monitor setup, you'd see two of the same monitor listed. You wouldn't want to remove one of them, would you?

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is it Safe to Remove Duplicates from Device Manager?

1. Is it Safe to Remove Duplicates from Device Manager? - Similar Threads - Safe Remove Duplicates

2. Duplicate I2C HID device touchpad in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate I2C HID device touchpad in Device Manager: Hi,I'm using Dell Inspiron 13 7370 with Windows 11. I work well in 6 months, but now I cannot using multi-finger 's function of the touchpad. After checking for a while, I found something:- I2C HID Device is duplicated with error code 10- The working I2C HID device has the...
  3. Duplicate GPUs in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Duplicate GPUs in Device Manager: Hello! Every time I start my computer I get the "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly" alert. When I go to device manager and look at my display adapters, I see that I have on Intel GPU correct one NVIDIA GPU also correct and then...
  4. Duplicate entries in Device Manager

Duplicate entries in Device Manager: Jeff here... I run a new PC computer with Windows 10 Pro. Under Device Manager there are many devices that have duplicate entries. The duplicates use different usb designation number ie "usb 1" "usb 2" I have read multiple "QUESTIONS" previously asked here and none of...
  5. Duplicated items in device manager

Duplicated items in device manager: Recently installed Windows 10 on SSD. Ive noticed these two duplicates. Is something wrong or should I just delete the two that are marked ? Thanks. 161476
  6. Duplicated items in device manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicated items in device manager: Recently installed Windows 10 on SSD. Ive noticed these two duplicates. Is something wrong or should I just delete the two that are marked ? Thanks. 161476
  7. Safe to remove XVD devices?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Safe to remove XVD devices?: Hey, I recently just learned that these XVD drives that show up in device manager are virtual disks used to store and run games which are natively Xbox games, but that you can also install on your PC via the Windows Store. I cam across 1 thread with someone else asking what...
  8. Removing Hard Drive from device safely!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing Hard Drive from device safely!: I can't remove my hdd without formatting, It's always showing the device is currently in use. I've tried restarting windows explorer from task management, uninstalling/disabling the drive from device manager, restarting the system, but nothing works. The hdd drive H isn't...
  9. Duplicate entries in Device Manager

Duplicate entries in Device Manager: Hello, I believe this is my first time posting. I have looked up this matter, and I have read a few things. A lot of them are from 2015, or earlier. And maybe from sites that I am not sure I can trust. So, I came here to try to get the most accurate and up to date info. I...
  10. safely remove device

safely remove device: Hi I want to safely remove USB device. The icon is on the task bar but turned off in settings, how do I turn it on ? Thanks John https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safely-remove-device/995c6a92-c905-4d08-8d14-55e494f1810b