Windows 10: Is it safer to set your wifi as public or private

Discus and support Is it safer to set your wifi as public or private in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was wondeing is it safer to set ur home network to public or private if u have no need of file sharing and a printer. I already know whats the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Matthew 01, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Is it safer to set your wifi as public or private

I was wondeing is it safer to set ur home network to public or private if u have no need of file sharing and a printer. I already know whats the difference I just eant someones opinion

:)

Matthew 01, Aug 25, 2018
  2. matake Win User

configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private

Hello,

I have two network adapters in Windows 10 one wifi for connecting to internet and one Ethernet for local network.
    I need to configure wifi adapter to public network and Ethernet to private network but i can't.

Inverse it work ( wifi to private and Ethernet to public ) but I don't need that.
    (only wifi adapter have option to be discoverable by others pd in Network Settings -> advanced options )

I need to share files by Ethernet AND NOT by wifi.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

matake, Aug 25, 2018
  3. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Aug 25, 2018
  4. Stud_1946 Win User

Is it safer to set your wifi as public or private

How to change the network setting (Private, public, etc)

this answer from a different Microsoft page worked for me

Is it safer to set your wifi as public or private [​IMG]
    Giridhar
    J
    replied on

• Microsoft

Accomplishments

• Microsoft

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Stud_1946, Aug 25, 2018
Thema:

Is it safer to set your wifi as public or private

1. Is it safer to set your wifi as public or private - Similar Threads - safer set wifi

2. Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?: I am a home user. I am confused as I read different descriptions of Public and Private and where they are used. What should my Home Wifi and Network Firewall be set as? Are the Wifi settings and Network Firewall settings two different Public and Private settings? 1. Windows...
  3. Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?: I am a home user. I am confused as I read different descriptions of Public and Private and where they are used. What should my Home Wifi and Network Firewall be set as? Are the Wifi settings and Network Firewall settings two different Public and Private settings? 1. Windows...
  4. Public/Private WiFi Connections

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public/Private WiFi Connections: Hi,Just setting up Windows 11 for the first time and the public vs private seems back to front with the description and recommendation.Am I missing something??...
  5. Public/Private WiFi Connections

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public/Private WiFi Connections: Hi,Just setting up Windows 11 for the first time and the public vs private seems back to front with the description and recommendation.Am I missing something??...
  6. Changing wifi settings from public to private

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing wifi settings from public to private: I have seen the same question being asked with the same answer that apparently does not exist: I want to change my WiFi connection from public to private. The suggestion I keep seeing is: On the right side of the taskbar, select the Wi-Fi network icon. Under the name of...
  7. public or private network settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    public or private network settings: windows 10, network created as private to enable sharing of network devices, but the public network takes over when rebooting, how to make the private settings stay primary? aslo the subnet pickups up the wifi factory address as 192.168.7.1 and locks to 255.255.255.0 no...
  8. Which is safer from intrusion at home? Public network or private network?

Which is safer from intrusion at home? Public network or private network?: Hi, I have reason to believe that my computer activity is being monitored by a neighbour and I'd like to know which setting would provide me with the maximum protection against such an intrusion at home. Would it be a public network or a private network? The descriptions I...
  9. Public and private WiFi settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Public and private WiFi settings: It's completely disappeared from the WiFi options in the settings menu. Does anybody know where it's moved to? Every time I update Windows it causes havoc with my WiFi by setting every network to public and I've searched everywhere. submitted by /u/PerryDigital [link]...
  10. Setting public to private networks

Setting public to private networks: I have a VPN for internet traffic which has a virtual adaptor, that is set to private. But the real adaptor is set to a public network and I want to set it to see other devices, therefore I want to change it to private how do I do this in build 1809? Winver says I have win...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. which is safer public or private in settings

2. whats safer public or private networks

3. is it safer to be public or private on my laptop at home if its the only pc in the home