Windows 10: Is it true that the next Windows 10 upgrade requires GPT-format disk?

Discus and support Is it true that the next Windows 10 upgrade requires GPT-format disk? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I read this somewhere, but I can't remember the source, or else I would have included the URL. It doesn't seem right. My wife's 2012 system runs Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by x509, Jul 20, 2016.

1. x509 Win User

Is it true that the next Windows 10 upgrade requires GPT-format disk?

I read this somewhere, but I can't remember the source, or else I would have included the URL.

It doesn't seem right. My wife's 2012 system runs Win 10 just fine with an SSD, thank you, but her system does NOT have UEFI BIOS.

:)

2. Chelman Win User

How to upgrade Windows 7 MBR installation on an UEFI motherboard

I've tried upgrading Windows 7 pro 64 bit on a MBR hard Drive but my motherboard is UEFI. I get an error message requiring the hard drive to be in GPT format. Doing the conversion is gong to render my Windows 7 installation unbootable. Is there a way
    to extract the product number from the Windows 7 before converting it to GPT? What is the right way to convert to GPT before upgrading to windows 10?

Chelman, Jul 20, 2016
  3. is it true that the 6300 is such a problem that...

Depends what you want out of a phone.

What are the most important features that you require?

psychomania---01, Jul 20, 2016
  4. derekimo Win User

Without a source, that's pretty vague, I can pretty much guarantee you it's false.

derekimo, Jul 20, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Upgrading to the Anniversary version (1607) of Windows 10 will not require GPT type partitioning. Thousands of people are insider testing it right now on MBR drives.

NavyLCDR, Jul 20, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    I would be highly surprised that any PC manufactured in 2012 doesn't have a UEFI bios. Just because it has UEFI doesn't mean it can't boot old versions of software.

Mystere, Jul 20, 2016
  7. x509 Win User
    My wife's system is a homebuilt using an ASUS motherboard. It is quite likely that the design is older than 2012. I'm actualy travelling right now, so I can't check the BIOS.

8. CountMike New Member

As long as I can I will stay away from UEFI, legacy BIOS is just fine for me. Much less troubles.

CountMike, Jul 20, 2016
  9. Mystere Win User
    What troubles? It's just a bios.

Mystere, Jul 20, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    And GPT, and UEFI partition, incompatibility with some backup/restore utilities, just few unnecessary complications. I can and do everything in legacy mode I could do as UEFI as my board has both.

CountMike, Jul 20, 2016
  11. EdTittel Win User
    UEFI is mostly about taking advantage of advanced features like Secure Boot. If you don't have UEFI you can't use Secure Boot. Here are some other advantages of UEFI cribbed from an old Sun (!) explanation:

• Support for hard drive partitions larger than 2 Tbytes.
    • Support for more than four partitions on a drive.
    • Fast booting.
    • Efficient power and system management.
    • Robust reliability and fault management.
    HTH, and thanks for posting. Your older non-UEFI system should be fine running Windows 10. I have two non-UEFI systems running it right now.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 20, 2016
  12. x509 Win User
    Ed,

Yes, this helps, since I didn't know about the last two bullets.

How did you know I used to work for Sun Microsystems? *Wink In the "glory days" before the Tech Crash in 2000.

13. Mystere Win User

Where did you get the idea that a UEFI bios requires you to use a GPT or UEFI partition? UEFI has a mode called CSM or Compatibility Service Module that emulates a standard bios, so you can install with an MBR just fine when using a UEFI bios.

Mystere, Jul 21, 2016
  14. x509 Win User
    Mystere,

I'm the OP on this thread. My desktop system is home-built, with an ASUS P9X79 PRO motherboard. It has a UEFI BIOS, with CSM. So far my boot drive has been MBR. I was worried when I read somewhere that anniversary edition of Win 10 would require a GPT-formatted boot drive. Fortunately, that info was wrong.

15. Mystere Win User
    I understand that. I was responding to Count Mike's comment about avoiding UEFI bios's.

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it true that the next Windows 10 upgrade requires GPT-format disk? - Similar Threads - true next upgrade

2. Format atarken "seçilen disk GPT bölümü stilinde" hatası

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Format atarken "seçilen disk GPT bölümü stilinde" hatası: Bilgisayarıma flash bellekle format atarken disk seçeceğim ekranda diski seçtiğimde "Windows bu diske yüklenemez. Seçilen disk GPT bölümü stilinde" hatası alıyorum. Ventoy'u Flash'a GPT olarak kurduğumda da sonuç değişmedi. İnternette gördüğüm yaygın çözüm yöntemlerinde cmd...
  3. Format atarken "seçilen disk GPT bölümü stilinde" hatası

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Format atarken "seçilen disk GPT bölümü stilinde" hatası: Bilgisayarıma flash bellekle format atarken disk seçeceğim ekranda diski seçtiğimde "Windows bu diske yüklenemez. Seçilen disk GPT bölümü stilinde" hatası alıyorum. Ventoy'u Flash'a GPT olarak kurduğumda da sonuç değişmedi. İnternette gördüğüm yaygın çözüm yöntemlerinde cmd...
  4. MBR or GPT Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT Format: Greetings, Which is the recommended format to use on my new hdd? GPT or MBR? As GPT always have extra partitions when install Windows 10. I don't really like to have these partitions on my hdd. If I use MBR format, will my other hdds (2 X 4TB) in GPT be available to use?...
  5. MBR or GPT Format

in Windows 10 Support
    MBR or GPT Format: Greetings, Which is the recommended format to use on my new hdd? GPT or MBR? As GPT always have extra partitions when install Windows 10. I don't really like to have these partitions on my hdd. If I use MBR format, will my other hdds (2 X 4TB) in GPT be available to use?...
  6. GPT disks

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT disks: Converted 2 drives to GPT (using diskpart utility from the "repair Windows"section of installation dvd) after deleting and removing all partitions and volumes. Windows showed the 4TB drive as being the full size so it had been converted. After windows installed both drives...
  7. Hard Disk Converted to GPT format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Disk Converted to GPT format: I have DELL inspiron 5558 With windwos 8.1 and upgraded to windows 10. Recently i wanted windows 7 and for that i shrink my E drive and from DVD tried to install Windows 7 on that 50 GB unallocated space. But it was showing me that you cant install OS on Windows Cannot...
  8. Clean install on a OEM formatted GPT disk?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install on a OEM formatted GPT disk?: I'm thinking of a clean reinstall of Windows 10 because of some stability issues (Mail and Calendar apps not working, Store app can't update etc yada yada; also I would like to get rid of the OEM softwares that have persisted till now). I got my current version of Windows 10...
  9. Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10: How to: Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10 How to Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10 [img] Information GPT (GUID Partition Table) and MBR (Master Boot Record) are two different partition styles that can be used for a disk. MBR disks use the standard...
  10. Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10: How to: Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10 How to Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10 GPT (GUID Partition Table) and MBR (Master Boot Record) are two different partition styles that can be used for a disk. MBR disks use the standard BIOS partition...