Windows 10: Is it worth upgrading to 64-bit OS?

Discus and support Is it worth upgrading to 64-bit OS? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I basically have an old Lenovo laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8700 2.53GHz and only 3GB RAM), and it's upgraded to the latest 1607 Windows version.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gelbs, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Gelbs Win User

Is it worth upgrading to 64-bit OS?

I basically have an old Lenovo laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8700 2.53GHz and only 3GB RAM), and it's upgraded to the latest 1607 Windows version. However, it's only 32-bit when my processor is 64-bit based. I can't really be arsed to have to wipe everything to switch over to a x64 Win10. With those specs, is it actually worth it, or just keep it as it is? I read somewhere that it isn't worth x64 if less than 4GB RAM...

Thanks.

:)

Gelbs, Aug 5, 2016
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

Upgrading to W10 - Is it Worth it?!

Hi!

start > all apps > windows accessories > internet explorer.

Teddy2016, Aug 5, 2016
  3. MARGIME Win User
    Upgrading to W10 - Is it Worth it?!

So, you're saying that I can access the older IE Browser and download it from Windows Accessories? Or maybe not even have to install it but its just there available if I or he, wants to use it? I just know that only the Microsoft Edge with that new shaped
    e was the only Browser that came pre-installed on his task bar and desktop. I shall look for it under Windows Accessories next time i see his pc. Thanks!

MARGIME, Aug 5, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

Correct. If you have less than 4GB, upgrading is pointless and gives very little benefit. Unless you need to use an app that is 64 bit (but it sounds like this is not the case).

If you have 4GB or more you should go to 64 bit (with 4GB you will only be able to use about 3.3GB on a 32 bit OS, a 64 bit OS lets you use all 4GB)

Mystere, Aug 5, 2016
  5. Gelbs Win User
    Thanks for that. Had a look about on Google, others have asked the same. Some say it's always best to go to x64 if the processor is. May as well leave it though. Don't really fancy deleting everything. If I could keep my files etc, I'd go for it normally.

Gelbs, Aug 5, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    Do you have a place to back up your files? (You should backup anyway!)

swarfega, Aug 5, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @Gelbs

Actually it's not only the RAM -- if your CPU is 64 bit enabled running a 32 bit OS on it actually increases the instruction lengths .

Sometimes the "pre-fetch" needs to get several instructions and the computation of virtual memory is a bit different when a 32 bit OS is considered - with a 64 bit OS the addressing scheme is essentially "1-level" as address can be directly computed whereas in a 32 bit os you have to calculate "virtual page etc" like a 2 element array.

Discussing how demand and virtual paging operates at the detail level is a bit beyond the scope of this post but if you have 4GB RAM in your computer it's worthwhile installing the 64 Bit os. You won't see a huge difference in say email or word processing but you buy into "future proofing" and you will definitely get better performance on CPU bound tasks (Photoshop, video editing etc).

I even run 64 bit VM's with as little as 1GB RAM allocated !!! they usually work fine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 5, 2016
  8. DavidY Win User

Also worth bearing in mind that you'd need a complete set of 64-bit drivers. Depending how old it is, they may be hard to obtain.
    I'm typing this on a Core 2 Duo which is in 32-bit for exactly that reason, even though I'm not getting full usage of my 4GB as mentioned.

DavidY, Aug 5, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Windows 10 - especially the later versions (1511 and 1607) do a sterling job of getting appropriate drivers --they might not always be the 100% most perfect ones but they will work allowing you to load other ones later --si if poss - in addition to the reasons I posted previously I'd go for the 64 bit OS if at all possible.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 5, 2016
  10. Gelbs Win User
    Cheers for the info. In all honesty, I don't even use my laptop much. I have a main computer and another one as back up. All my stuff is backed up. I'm not even sure why it has 32-bit Windows anyway! It might of come like that, or I put the wrong disc in rather than 64-bit, then obviously upgraded to Windows 10 for free last summer. Think I'll just leave it. Though the 'ocd' in me is urging me to wipe and do it all! Haha.

Gelbs, Aug 5, 2016
  11. Gelbs Win User
    I had a brief look earlier. But what's the simplest way to switch over to a 64-bit version from 32 Win10?

Gelbs, Aug 5, 2016
  12. Gelbs Win User
    Don't want to have to create a flash drive or do it via disc.

Gelbs, Aug 5, 2016
  13. Gelbs Win User

Okay, so I've create a Windows 10 setup disk. But every time I boot from CD/DVD, nothing happens! It just boots me into my current Windows and not Windows setup! How can I get it to run the disc?!

Gelbs, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it worth upgrading to 64-bit OS? - Similar Threads - worth upgrading bit

2. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS: Currently, I run windows 10 home 32 Bit on a 64 Bit processor. I am looking to upgrade the OS to 64 Bit but I don’t want to reinstall Windows as the computer is from a relative who passed away and was working on a application for training pilots. As there is no exe installer,...
  3. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS: Currently, I run windows 10 home 32 Bit on a 64 Bit processor. I am looking to upgrade the OS to 64 Bit but I don’t want to reinstall Windows as the computer is from a relative who passed away and was working on a application for training pilots. As there is no exe installer,...
  4. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgrade to 64 bit

Upgrade to 64 bit: IS THERE A WAY TO UPGRADE 64 BIT WITHOUT NO LOSING DATA? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-to-64-bit/6e6434b8-2747-40d9-a0c1-c7a24feef665
  6. Is 64 bit OS useful??????.

Is 64 bit OS useful??????.: Independent of ram, Installing 64 bit OS is useful or not????? Some are saying that installing 64 bit OS is not much useful. As it uses double amount of data than 32 bit. Even we have more than 4 GB ram like 6 GB ram, they are telling that it doesn't improve much...
  7. About 64 bit OS??????

About 64 bit OS??????: My motherboard : Asus. Model:P5QPL-AM. My OS:windows 10 pro 1903. Architecture:32 bit. Currently I have ram:2 GB. If I buy a 4 GB ram and make it 6 GB, Now, is 64 bit OS is useful than 32 bit???? If I buy 2 GB ram and make it 4 GB ram, Now, is 64 bit OS...
  8. How to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit OS????????

How to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit OS????????: My desktop had windows 10 pro installed. But it is 32 bit OS. My processor is X64 capable..... I want to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit OS with the same product key for 32 bit...... What should I do????? Please explain me detail.................
  9. Windows 64 bit OS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 64 bit OS: Running Windows 10 Pro on an Asus notebook. System information shows the system as a 64 bit OS with an x64-based processor. However, when I open the CMD prompt the system is shown as C:\WINDOWS\system32 On drive C: > WINDOWS there is a folder System32 I upgraded from...
  10. Upgrading my computer to a 64 bit os,

Upgrading my computer to a 64 bit os,: In trying to upgrade my computer to a 64 bit os, I downloaded the Microsoft Win 10 Download tool. I created the installatio media with both a USB flash drive as well as a DVD. Each time I tried to do the installation it went to the 32bit os even though I had checked the 64bit...