Windows 10: Is latency (lag) still present using line-in on Windows 10?

Discus and support Is latency (lag) still present using line-in on Windows 10? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, As a lot of you may or may not be aware, there has been an problem with latency whilst sound recording since W7 launched that wasn't present on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by parkersblock, May 3, 2015.

1. Is latency (lag) still present using line-in on Windows 10?

Hi,

As a lot of you may or may not be aware, there has been an problem with latency whilst sound recording since W7 launched that wasn't present on XP or Vista.

Many had hoped it would be addressed in 8/8.1 but it wasn't so i'm wondering whether the issue is still present in these preview builds of W10?

I don't actually record but like to use my PC speakers combined with my television via line-in but this currently isn't possible as the latency causes a less than desirable echo effect.

If any one has tried this or could test this for me i'd be very grateful and promptly installing the latest build available of the W10 Preview.

Thanks!

:)

parkersblock, May 3, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Windows 10 lag is back

Funny, I have no lag with Windows 10. (A more technical term is latency.)

Latency in computing could have thousands of causes, depending on the hardware, the configuration, installed software and the tasks you are performing.

To arrive at the conclusion that Windows 10 has more latency than an earlier version of Windows, you would have to do a clean install of both versions on identical hardware and then time common tasks on both.

BulldogXX, May 3, 2015
  3. E51 latency too high...

There's lot of lag in VOIP calls from Nokia E51.

I tried using skype mobile to skype mobile, Nimbuzz-Nimbuzz calls.. All showed lag.

After doing a bit of research and these tests,

Internet Bandwidth: 8Mbps connection

Bandwidth and latency were recorded from these Websites:

www.mobilespeedtest.com/

www.dslreports.com/mspeed

www.dslreports.com/

More than 10 tests done. File transferred size 100KB and then with 1MB

First tried with Laptop connected in Ethernet:

Speed: Got Around 7.8 Mbps speed

Latency: ~70ms

All below tests done in WiFi.

Laptop:

Speed: 4-4.7 Mbps

Latency: 300-370ms

E51 phone

Speed : ~440kbps

Latency: 770-830ms ( Huge)

Android phone

Speed : 1-1.3Mbps

Latency: around 430ms

Ipod touch 2G

Speed : Around 1Mbps

Latency: around 470ms

Conclusion: Nokia E51 stack has some problem with latency under Wifi.
    Is latency (lag) still present using line-in on Windows 10? [​IMG]
    So, the lag...

prajwalps97, May 3, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

Is latency (lag) still present using line-in on Windows 10?

Up to win10 I had that problem and it was bad, almost a second but it seems it's not the case now. In any case it's imperceptible.

CountMike, May 3, 2015
  5. DavidY Win User
    Not specific to sound recording software, but I'm finding that the current build of Windows 10 insists on installing drivers which don't work well with my old hardware, and one of the problem drivers is sound-related.

So if you did find it is troublesome, that's not necessarily a guide to what the final Windows 10 will be like.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a good backup image of your working setup before you change anything

DavidY, May 3, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Mystere, May 3, 2015
  7. That's exactly what I hoped to hear! Hopefully the release build will follow suit.

I think i'm just going to wait until release as it won't be worth messing up other things to achieve the sound option i'm looking for.

In the past couple years i've tried everything and have never come across this (no ones ever brought it up on the 7 forums where there's several posts on the issue) so will give that a try now. *Thumbs

EDIT: No joy, it just tells me my system is 'suitable for handling real-time audio & other tasks without dropouts.'

parkersblock, May 4, 2015
  8. Is latency (lag) still present using line-in on Windows 10?

I hope you're right about win10 solving the audio latency issue. I've been using ASIO4ALL drivers with my usb audio and it solves the latency problem but locks out or doesn't allow use of other useful resources because it requires the audio out to also use the same usb port. With the realtek in win8.1 the usb input can utilize the existing system audio for output which allows use of the bluetooth to speaker for output, but the latency makes this system unusable for real-time amp simulation. Will hold off shopping for other systems (MAC) until next month (win10 *Rolleyes).

Jerry Delacruz, Jun 27, 2015
  9. As soon as the retail build is released I will post an update. Fingers crossed MS have done their jobs and I can confirm it's been fixed

parkersblock, Jul 16, 2015
  10. Update now I have W10 Pro.

I'm not certain it's completely gone (this could be down to my speaker placement) but I will agree with 'CountMike' and can say at least it's now usuable for the functionality I require it for.

parkersblock, Jul 30, 2015
  11. You said "unusable" for the functionality you require of it. You meant "usable" though, right. I'm gonna check it out myself soon as I get things sorted. I like what I see so far. Wish I could uninstall a few things though, like X-Box, and a few other apps that I will never use.

Jerry Delacruz, Jul 31, 2015
  12. Sorry, that's a typo, Yes it should say usable rather than 'usuable'

I'm going to test it out with my ps4 later so i'll come to a better conclusion of how much of an improvement it is.

parkersblock, Jul 31, 2015
  13. Is latency (lag) still present using line-in on Windows 10?

Hooked up my USB guitar interface for the first time after installing Win 10. I've got to say it works much better. I 'm not sure whether the drivers are traditional Realtek or Realtek branded asio, but the latency through my software amp modeler is tolerable and hardly noticeable. The set-up was easier also. Guess I'll keep my ASUS for a while, sorry MAC.

Jerry Delacruz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is latency (lag) still present using line-in on Windows 10?

1. Is latency (lag) still present using line-in on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - latency lag still

2. Latency Issues And Lag Spikes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latency Issues And Lag Spikes: Obviously im not that good at tech so ive asked this but i get around 165-180 fps so i dont know why when i play fortnite for example it keeps lagging my screen idk what the word is but i think its jittering but its really been annoying me because ive just upgraded my gpu to...
  3. Latency Issues And Lag Spikes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latency Issues And Lag Spikes: Obviously im not that good at tech so ive asked this but i get around 165-180 fps so i dont know why when i play fortnite for example it keeps lagging my screen idk what the word is but i think its jittering but its really been annoying me because ive just upgraded my gpu to...
  4. Latency Issues And Lag Spikes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Lags in game, dpc latency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lags in game, dpc latency: I have got a problem with my laptop, because in in some games I have light clippings, i have discovered with the dpc latency, i dont know what i can do, pls help! my laptop: hp 15 ay173na https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM1S9FV8mgI <--- video with lags [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. Computer lagging and latency issues

Computer lagging and latency issues: Hi everyone, I'm going to preface this by saying I know enough about technology for the easy day to day problems but I am in over my head with this one. Over the past few days, I've been struggling with my laptop practically brand new, maybe two months old? lagging and...
  7. My Windows 10 PC Still Lags

My Windows 10 PC Still Lags: I've tried everything to make my Windows 10 PC stop lagging and not responding! I've tried uninstalling the latest update, but that didn't work! I've tried reinstalling the latest update, but that didn't work! I've tried uninstalling my wireless keyboard and mouse, and...
  8. CLIPBoard feature still not present

in Windows 10 Customization
    CLIPBoard feature still not present: this was a great feature, im using third party. why is it taking so long to fix? not to say that i will start using it, maybe third party will still be better. but im notified of this great feature, and i honestly gave up on hoping for features from windows, so i was...
  9. Sound delays, lags and audio latency in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Sound delays, lags and audio latency in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Almost every action in Windows 10 is followed by a sound, especially on laptops. Now, what if you are experiencing a noticeable delay in that sound? I am not talking about a delay of a minute, but noticeable which could [...] This post Sound delays, lags and...
  10. Windows 10 line-in-to speakers-out latency

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 line-in-to speakers-out latency: Greets all. I used to use my PC with windows 7 to run a native guitar processor. There is more than 50 ms of latency from when I pluck a string to when I hear it through the speakers. I've tested for DPC and that is not the issue. Downloaded all latest drivers (and past...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 line in lag

2. latency when using line in prego

3. line in latency windows 10

4. windows 10 line in latency,
  5. windows line in lag