Windows 10: Is Macrium a good app to clone a system hdd to a much smaller ssd?

Discus and support Is Macrium a good app to clone a system hdd to a much smaller ssd? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Is Macrium a reliable programme to clone a system HDD to a much smaller SSD? 64651 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by fjk61011, Sep 22, 2016.

1. fjk61011 Win User

Is Macrium a good app to clone a system hdd to a much smaller ssd?

Is Macrium a reliable programme to clone a system HDD to a much smaller SSD?

:)

fjk61011, Sep 22, 2016

2. SSD - copy or reinstall OS?

All you need is a free cloning software. Personally, I often use AOMEI Backupper to clone large hdd to smaller ssd. you don't have to shrink the partition for it to fit the ssd,
    as the software will do it, as long as your ssd have enough space for the data on the hdd. If your ssd does not have that much space, you can slim your HDD by removing data to another storage device or use system clone to only migrate your operating
    system(OS) to the SSD instead.

www.backup-utility.com/clone/clone-large-hdd-to-smaller-ssd-4348.html

Youngwarlord, Sep 22, 2016
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Hard drive failing - What can I do to transfer/ clone my drive?

You can clone your Windows from drive to drive with no problems .

You do need enough space on your HDD drive to create a free space as large as your Windows C:\ drive

for the clone. The cloning tool will create the partition in the free space.

- Make sure the HDD gets a good defrag/optimise after doing the clone.

Note that you have been running Windows on an SSD for a long time that Windows will be
    very slow loading from HDD.

I only really appreciated how much an SSD helps after cloning my Windows to a HDD for backup.

- Macrium Reflect is highly regarded.

AOEMI Partition assistant is another good free tool ( they use the term Migrate vs clone/image )

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

- If you really want to be safe make two clones, if possible. Should lightning strike twice....

BossDweeb, Sep 22, 2016
  4. fjk61011 Win User

Jeepers, that was a quick move. *Smile

fjk61011, Sep 22, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

You can't CLONE to a smaller drive = ==> AFAIK Clone means replicate the original identically in every way -- not sure these days if English works the same as it used to --especially with "textspeak" and twitter etc though as IMO education seems to be far worse than it was about 40 years ago --that's my opinion though.

You can certainly IMAGE to a smaller drive or partition provided the original OS will fit on it.

Don't forget also to restore the system reserved partition if it exists. You don't actually need the Recovery partition -- no point if you've got Macrium for your recovery.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 22, 2016
  6. fjk61011 Win User
    Will the IMAGe OS be bootable?

fjk61011, Sep 22, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    I might have replied, but that definitely persuaded me not to.

dalchina, Sep 22, 2016
  8. fjk61011 Win User

I withdraw the remark, forgot the smiley.

Please reply.

fjk61011, Sep 22, 2016
  9. You will first have to reduce the partition size (of probably your C-drive) so the image you create will fit on the smaller drive. It depends on how your current drive is partitioned now.

Comp Cmndo, Sep 22, 2016
  10. fjk61011 Win User
    Ah, reread it. It sounds like an order.

The dangers of lack of tone in emails (and texts).

fjk61011, Sep 22, 2016
  11. fjk61011 Win User
    Okily dokily

fjk61011, Sep 22, 2016
  12. What is your current partition scheme?

Comp Cmndo, Sep 22, 2016
  13. fjk61011 Win User

It has four Partitions, three of which are visible in Disk Management. Recovery Partition, EFI Partition and OS Partition. During Setup it made four Partitions, I think the fourth one was MSR.

fjk61011, Sep 22, 2016
  14. fjk61011 Win User
    I experimented with Macrium. CLONED/IMAGED the OS drive to a Larger HDD. Then expanded the C: Partition to full size of that HDD.

I then CLONED/IMAGED from the larger HDD to the smaller HDD. Success. Bootable.

fjk61011, Sep 22, 2016
  15. fjk61011 Win User
    I had to RMA my NVMe SDD. The new one should arrive next week.

fjk61011, Sep 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Is Macrium a good app to clone a system hdd to a much smaller ssd? - Similar Threads - Macrium app clone

2. Problem Cloning HDD to SSD with Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem Cloning HDD to SSD with Macrium Reflect Free: Hi Everyone! My new post today is a follow up from this thread where I had successfully cloned my Hard Disk Drive to an SSD Drive with the same capacity of 1 TB. However, this post isn't about my computer, as it's still working like a racehorse with the newly installed SSD....
  3. Cloning to a Smaller SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning to a Smaller SSD: What is a decent cloning product that can clone from a larger hdd to a smaller ssd, either paid or free. There's not a lot on the old drive. It's version 2004 of Windows 10. I'm unable to get to the boot menu or the bios using the novo button on a Lenovo Z580 for some...
  4. Cloning to a Smaller SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning to a Smaller SSD: What is a decent cloning product that can clone from a larger hdd to a smaller ssd, either paid or free. There's not a lot on the old drive. 173366
  5. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  6. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using MiniTool Partition Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  7. Macrium....Cloning pc with SSD and HDD ????

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium....Cloning pc with SSD and HDD ????: I want to do a clone backup of my laptop that has an SSD for the OS and program files and an HDD for the data files I am unsure of how to do a clone backup involving the two drive configuration As seen in the capture below do I clone the two drives separately to their...
  8. Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.: Hello there I purchased a Crucial MX300 525gb SSD to upgrade my laptop storage, that has an Intel Opal SSD 180gb on it. I need more space My idea was to clone the information from one SSD (intel is now inside the laptop) to the bigger SSD (using an USB-SATA cable and...
  9. Cloning Windows 10 to smaller SSD

Cloning Windows 10 to smaller SSD: I'm trying to clone my 2 TB HD, with only 300 GB used, to a new 480 GB SSD, and keep getting "not enough space" to finish transferring, etc.....I thought since the used portion (300 GB) being less than the target drive (480 GB SSD) this was a possibility with Macrium...
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058