Windows 10: Is Microsoft now considering MBAM as an anti-virus app?

Discus and support Is Microsoft now considering MBAM as an anti-virus app? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My reason for raising this question is that, as of late, Windows Defender Security Center in Virus & threat protection subcategory is showing MBAM as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by IronZorg89, Aug 31, 2018.

1. IronZorg89 Win User

Is Microsoft now considering MBAM as an anti-virus app?

My reason for raising this question is that, as of late, Windows Defender Security Center in Virus & threat protection subcategory is showing MBAM as an antivirus app. That has caused the Real-time protection button to be greyed out and as a consequence, I cannot toggle the "Controlled Folder Access" button to On. As we all know, in order for the latter to be "On", Real-time protection button has to be On first. Kind of a conundrum!

At one point, I was not even receiving Definition Updates for Windows Defender Security for at least a week. That's when I realized the problem. To be able to start receiving those updates, I had to toggle "Periodic Scanning" to on. Weirdly enough, as of this writing it has gone back to "off". I didn't do it. Does anybody have an idea of what's going on. Is MBAM now an anti-virus app?. I don't have any other anti-virus app on my system except for Windows Defender.

Is Microsoft now considering MBAM as an anti-virus app? [​IMG]

:)

IronZorg89, Aug 31, 2018
  2. Polarman Win User

Microsoft Exclusion List for Anti-virus

Apparantly, Microsoft posted a list of files that can be "Excluded" from any Anti-Virus that you use to help with scanning performance.

You can read about here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

Polarman, Aug 31, 2018
  3. John Phoenix Win User
    Need anti-virus app for special application

I need an anti virus app that is really Top Notch that will only scan a certain folder I tell it to or scan the folder live or on demand.

Only this one folder must be scanned. I do not want the app to scan the whole drive.

What I am doing is using Sandboxie for my protection and downloads. I want to be able to scan the download folder for virus's/malware before I move the downloads out of the sandbox to my regular drive so I only need the sandbox folder scanned.

Does anyone know of an anti-virus app that I can set up to do this?

John Phoenix, Aug 31, 2018
  4. Bruce Hagen Win User

Bruce Hagen, Aug 31, 2018
Thema:

1. Is Microsoft now considering MBAM as an anti-virus app? - Similar Threads - Microsoft considering MBAM

2. Anti Virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Anti Virus: what is the best FREE Anti Virus i can download from teh web https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/anti-virus/c04aede8-6d33-465f-820d-32684f784b55
  3. Anti virus and malware protection

Anti virus and malware protection: Is the Windows Defender very effective protection against any harms that may be? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/anti-virus-and-malware-protection/6a679aa5-3f2b-4172-84f6-b812aa914cfb
  4. Is Microsoft now considering MBAM as an anti-virus app?

Is Microsoft now considering MBAM as an anti-virus app?: My reason for raising this question is that, as of late, Windows Defender Security Center in Virus & threat protection subcategory is showing MBAM as an antivirus app. That has caused the Real-time protection button to be greyed out and as a consequence, I cannot toggle the...
  5. Security, Anti-Virus protection

Security, Anti-Virus protection: I have Viper Security installed on my Laptop, I have recently had a problem with receiving phony scams from a third party (inferring they are from Microsoft). I reported that to Microsoft Security. I now would like to switch from Viper to Defender (which is on my laptop)....
  6. uninstalled anti virus

uninstalled anti virus: How to rid my computer of remnants of uninstalled Bit Defender? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/uninstalled-anti-virus/01b72704-095c-4fc5-9f4c-63bd41d92c04"
  7. Best Anti-Virus?

Best Anti-Virus?: Just looking for opinions on what the best anti-virus software might be. I'm looking for something that is easy to use, does a deep thorough scan, and won't automatically quarantine on the spot. I prefer nothing that affects the kernel such as Avast. 100653
  8. Anti-virus and Anti-malware??

Anti-virus and Anti-malware??: 1. Do I need a particular anti-malware software , in addition to Anti-virus? 2. Is the paid version of Avast good and sufficient enough to reduce risks? 3. Is "malware" a collective term that includes ransomware, adware, spyware ...... or are they all different things...
  9. Avira Free Anti virus

Avira Free Anti virus: A friend at work asked me have I ever used Avire Free Anti virus (he husband put it on her laptop) I said no but I can look at it, so installed and up to now I quite like it. I do know some Iffy sites so a little test and I will see how Avire handles it *Smile Avire UI and...
  10. Anti Virus Status

Anti Virus Status: Does this mean my Anti Virus is turned off? [img] 42147