Windows 10: Is Microsoft now considering MBAM as an anti-virus app?

Discus and support Is Microsoft now considering MBAM as an anti-virus app? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My reason for raising this question is that, as of late, Windows Defender Security Center in Virus & threat protection subcategory is showing MBAM as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by IronZorg89, Aug 31, 2018.

1. IronZorg89 Win User

Is Microsoft now considering MBAM as an anti-virus app?

My reason for raising this question is that, as of late, Windows Defender Security Center in Virus & threat protection subcategory is showing MBAM as an antivirus app. That has caused the Real-time protection button to be greyed out and as a consequence, I cannot toggle the "Controlled Folder Access" button to On. As we all know, in order for the latter to be "On", Real-time protection button has to be On first. Kind of a conundrum!

At one point, I was not even receiving Definition Updates for Windows Defender Security for at least a week. That's when I realized the problem. To be able to start receiving those updates, I had to toggle "Periodic Scanning" to on. Weirdly enough, as of this writing it has gone back to "off". I didn't do it. Does anybody have an idea of what's going on. Is MBAM now an anti-virus app?. I don't have any other anti-virus app on my system except for Windows Defender.

Is Microsoft now considering MBAM as an anti-virus app? [​IMG]

:)

IronZorg89, Aug 31, 2018
  2. Polarman Win User

Microsoft Exclusion List for Anti-virus

Apparantly, Microsoft posted a list of files that can be "Excluded" from any Anti-Virus that you use to help with scanning performance.

You can read about here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

Polarman, Aug 31, 2018
  3. John Phoenix Win User
    Need anti-virus app for special application

I need an anti virus app that is really Top Notch that will only scan a certain folder I tell it to or scan the folder live or on demand.

Only this one folder must be scanned. I do not want the app to scan the whole drive.

What I am doing is using Sandboxie for my protection and downloads. I want to be able to scan the download folder for virus's/malware before I move the downloads out of the sandbox to my regular drive so I only need the sandbox folder scanned.

Does anyone know of an anti-virus app that I can set up to do this?

John Phoenix, Aug 31, 2018
  4. Bruce Hagen Win User

Bruce Hagen, Aug 31, 2018
Thema:

1. Is Microsoft now considering MBAM as an anti-virus app? - Similar Threads - Microsoft considering MBAM

2. Is Microsoft now considering MBAM as an anti-virus app?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Microsoft now considering MBAM as an anti-virus app?: My reason for raising this question is that, as of late, Windows Defender Security Center in Virus & threat protection subcategory is showing MBAM as an antivirus app. That has caused the Real-time protection button to be greyed out and as a consequence, I cannot toggle the...
  3. Security, Anti-Virus protection

Security, Anti-Virus protection: I have Viper Security installed on my Laptop, I have recently had a problem with receiving phony scams from a third party (inferring they are from Microsoft). I reported that to Microsoft Security. I now would like to switch from Viper to Defender (which is on my laptop)....
  4. uninstalled anti virus

uninstalled anti virus: How to rid my computer of remnants of uninstalled Bit Defender? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/uninstalled-anti-virus/01b72704-095c-4fc5-9f4c-63bd41d92c04"
  5. Free anti virus protection

Free anti virus protection: Hello, I need to know how to get your free anti virus protection on this laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_scanner-protect_scanning-windows_10/free-anti-virus-protection/18ed61d7-9071-4541-bd17-c905c3023dca
  6. Best Anti-Virus?

Best Anti-Virus?: Just looking for opinions on what the best anti-virus software might be. I'm looking for something that is easy to use, does a deep thorough scan, and won't automatically quarantine on the spot. I prefer nothing that affects the kernel such as Avast. 100653
  7. Anti-virus and Anti-malware??

Anti-virus and Anti-malware??: 1. Do I need a particular anti-malware software , in addition to Anti-virus? 2. Is the paid version of Avast good and sufficient enough to reduce risks? 3. Is "malware" a collective term that includes ransomware, adware, spyware ...... or are they all different things...
  8. Avira Free Anti virus

Avira Free Anti virus: A friend at work asked me have I ever used Avire Free Anti virus (he husband put it on her laptop) I said no but I can look at it, so installed and up to now I quite like it. I do know some Iffy sites so a little test and I will see how Avire handles it *Smile Avire UI and...
  9. Most anti-virus/anti-malware method of browsing

Most anti-virus/anti-malware method of browsing: It seems that so many anti-virus products are decent and do a fair job of protecting your computer, whether or not you pay for them. And all reviews I've read over the years usually conclude that free is best, because the "extra stuff" you get really don't help all that much...
  10. Anti Virus Status

Anti Virus Status: Does this mean my Anti Virus is turned off? [img] 42147