Windows 10: Is my BIOS all UEFI (proud) or some kind of mix (embarrassed)?

Discus and support Is my BIOS all UEFI (proud) or some kind of mix (embarrassed)? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Although I have a hundred things to do around the apartment, I decided to prioritize by checking my BIOS. I would like to know if my settings are 100%... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by glnz, Oct 9, 2015.

1. glnz Win User

Is my BIOS all UEFI (proud) or some kind of mix (embarrassed)?

Although I have a hundred things to do around the apartment, I decided to prioritize by checking my BIOS. I would like to know if my settings are 100% UEFI or whether the machine is actually booting Legacy without telling me.

Start - I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 Desktop with 16GB RAM dual-booting Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit. (The Win 10 side was originally 8, then 8.1, then 10. The 10 had lots of Event Viewer errors, so I "clean" reinstalled the 10 with a USB drive. On both the 7 and 10 sides, my sfc /scannows now run clean.)

Here's what the BIOS says:

General - System Information: The BIOS is A20 (the latest).
    General - Boot Sequence: Boot Sequence: Windows Boot Manager is checked, and it says "Windows Boot Manager".
    Boot List Option: UEFI is selected. If I hit "View" on the right, nothing happens.
    General - Advanced Boot Options: Enable Legacy Option ROMs is checked. (I wonder what would happen if I UNchecked this.)
    System Configuration - SATA Operation: AHCI is checked.
    Secure Boot - Secure Boot Enable: Secure Boot is DISabled. (I have NO desire to change this.)
    Virtualization Support - Virtualization: Enable Intel Virtualization Technology is checked.
    Virtualization Support - VT for Direct I/O: Enable VT for Direct I/O is checked.
    Virtualization Support - Trusted Execution: Trusted Execution is NOT checked.

So - what am I? 100% UEFI or some sloppy Legacy mixed in?

What happens if I UNcheck General - Advanced Boot Options: Enable Legacy Option ROMs ?

What difference would unchecking that make anyway?

Why doesn't Dell publish something that actually explains all of this confusion? At least in Tagalog, which some unemployed American could translate into English.

:)

glnz, Oct 9, 2015
  2. slance310 Win User

New motherboard will not reconize my existing hardrive and OS

Hi,

I didn't spend a lot of time reading the other replies, and hope no one is offended if this suggestion was already provided...

Look in your BIOS to determine whether it is set for UEFI or Legacy BIOS, then verify that your HDD is Initialized as a GPT for UEFI Bios, or MBR for Legacy Bios...

They don't mix and match well...

Your HDD most likely won't show up in the Boot Settings in your UEFI BIOS...

If it does, that is most likely not the setting you want to choose..

For UEFI Bios you need to set your HDD\SSD Boot Device to "Windows Boot Manager"... Which is on the 150MB or so EFI Partition...

slance310, Oct 9, 2015
  3. slance310 Win User
    Unable to boot windows 10 outside of safe mode unable to restore

Hi,

There may be some issues with your BIOS and then installation method you are using...

If this is a modern machine that uses UEFI Bios, there are specific ways to install windows that are different than with the previous type BIOS...

For starters, the drive needs to be initialized as a GPT drive for UEFI, and MBR drive for the older BIOS... If that setting is wrong it probably won't even install and give some type of drive error...

Then there is the USB... kind of the same thing... To install Win 10 on UEFI BIOS the Flash Drive needs to be formatted FAT32...

To install on a legacy BIOS it needs to be formatted NTFS... The Win 7 USB\DVD Tool creates this type of flash drive...

You would need to use a program something like RUFUS to create a Flash Drive for the UEFI BIOS...

The flash drive needs to be Initialized GPT and Formatted FAT32...

slance310, Oct 9, 2015
Thema:

Is my BIOS all UEFI (proud) or some kind of mix (embarrassed)?

1. Is my BIOS all UEFI (proud) or some kind of mix (embarrassed)? - Similar Threads - BIOS UEFI proud

2. UEFI vs BIOS: What is the difference between BIOS and UEFI?

in Windows 10 News
    UEFI vs BIOS: What is the difference between BIOS and UEFI?: [ATTACH]Is UEFI better or should you use BIOS? Anyone who is interested in understanding how their personal computers work will find this guide to be helpful. We explain the difference between BIOS (Basic Input-Output System) & UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) in...
  3. BIOS MODE UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS MODE UEFI: MY PC DOES NOT SUPPORT BIOS MODE UEFI HOW TO SUPPORT THE UEFI IN MY PC INSPIRON 15 5558 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bios-mode-uefi/ac6086ce-66ea-4ac5-a024-1fecbf1aa88a
  4. Outdated BIOS to UEFI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Outdated BIOS to UEFI: Hi guys. So recently i was trying to figure out if how to boot into UEFI, but sadly there was no option for me to do that in the boot menu. Later on i googled some stuff and it told me to check system configuration to see if it says 'Legacy' which is Bios that you can convert...
  5. UEFI instead of BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UEFI instead of BIOS: Hi guys. So recently i've been checking out my system components and my BIOS seems to be outdated. First of all i want to install UEFI instead of BIOS, and secondly, it says 'Outdated' next to the 'BIOS', which i believe is a bad thing? Even tho google tells me that i don't...
  6. UEFI/BIOS Virus?

UEFI/BIOS Virus?: I have recently bought a new PC. Initially the W10 version was 1909 but very soon after purchase it was upgraded to 2004. One of the first things I did was to create a recovery USB memory stick. This was prior to me knowing how to access the PC's BIOS/UEFI although I had...
  7. BIOS / UEFI setup

in Windows 10 Support
    BIOS / UEFI setup: Hi, I have several Dell E6410's here with latest Win 10 1803 update and A17 BIOS. All ok apart from one machine which the power light stays on at shutdown. This particular machine happens to be set up with the boot option set to UEFI whereas the others use Legacy. So I...
  8. Installing some OS's in UEFI and some using Legacy BIOS

Installing some OS's in UEFI and some using Legacy BIOS: Hello, I've installed Windows 10 and Ubuntu using UEFI. But, now I created a bootable USB for a Linux that does not support UEFI, but only Legacy. I mean, when I plug the USB to my laptop, the UEFI does not recognize it, only the Legacy BIOS does. Is it possible to...
  9. BIOS and UEFI issue

BIOS and UEFI issue: I have a brand new Asus K555 laptop running core i5 5th gen. But though it is new, it seems to be running BIOS. It is old fashioned cursor less one. But it supports secure boot, GPT disk and it boots in CSM mode. So I think I can install UEFI. Please advise. Thank you 38752
  10. UEFI vs BIOS

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI vs BIOS: My computer has UEFI installed but when I go to the BIOS I see an old fashioned BIOS. I thought UEFI was supposed to replace the BIOS. Can someone explain? 81410