Windows 10: Is my copy of Ten eligible for activation? How?

Discus and support Is my copy of Ten eligible for activation? How? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've had many difficulties upgrading my Dell Inspiron from seven pro to Ten. Now that I finally have Ten up and running, it needs an activation key.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by lbeck, Jan 4, 2016.

1. lbeck Win User

Is my copy of Ten eligible for activation? How?

I've had many difficulties upgrading my Dell Inspiron from seven pro to Ten. Now that I finally have Ten up and running, it needs an activation key. Apparently in order to keep it running.

I have the slmgr -dlv report attached. What does it tell WRT my eligibility. If it says no, how do I get a good key? My original product key is for Vista and my upgrade was with a seven Pro OEM disk purchased from Amazon a couple of years ago. There is no product key on the packaging or the disc. I used ShowKeyPlus to get an activation key but the windows install says that it is a general application key (or something like that) and won't work.

Thanks for your help.

Lee

:)

lbeck, Jan 4, 2016

2. Is my pc eligible for Windows 10 upgrade?

Original Title: windows 10 upgrade

Hello,

I have windows 7 pro service pack 1 running on my pc, I have intel desktop board d865gsa with intel pentium 4 , chip set version 865, 85 GB hard disk, 1 GB ram WILL windows 10 32 bit will work on my pc I'd read all specification of windows 10 but still confused.will
    it run smoothly according all feature and metro.

regards

lakshyalalotra, Jan 4, 2016
  3. How to buy windows 10 upgrade or get it for free??

I want to upgrade to windows 10 from windows XP. - where can i buy Windows ten? Or am i eligible for the free upgrade from older windows?

Aura green, Jan 4, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes, it is eligible for activation. You just have to enter a valid Windows 7/8/8.1/10 Pro product key.

A genuine Microsoft product would have come with a product key sticker. You probably did not get a valid genuine Microsoft product that was eligible for you to use in the first place. Microsoft is improving their product key checking.

NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2016
  5. lbeck Win User
    So where do I get a valid product key?
    So you're saying that Amazon sold me a pirated copy??

lbeck, Jan 4, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Lots of places. Here's one:
    Windows

No, I am saying that genuine Microsoft discs/USB drives sold as licensed software come with product key labels. Your other option is to install Windows 7 with the disc that you have and the product key for it and see if the Windows 7 will activate with it then do an in place upgrade to Windows 10 and see if it activates.

NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2016
  7. lbeck Win User
    Of course I'm aware that I can purchase an upgrade to Ten. If that's my only option I will restore my copy of seven.

as a consumer of technology at the best price I assumed that the copy of seven purchased from Amazon was legit and that if it didn't install I could get a refund. It has worked for several years.

thanks for your comments. I'll continue searching for a workaround before giving up

lbeck, Jan 4, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You can shrink your Windows 10 partition by 50gb, make a 50gb NTFS partition, install Windows 7 to it and if it activates with your product key, we can show you how to transfer that activation to the Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    No disrespect, but OP says he does not have the original product key.

He could try using the oem disk and hope it auto activates.

But even if it does, he would have to upgrade surely?

cereberus, Jan 4, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    The confusion is because the OP has about three different threads going on this same problem. See posts #5 and #7 from this thread:
    Solved Is 7 pro OEM version eligible for upgrade to Windows 10? - Windows 10 Forums

The OP should have retrieved the Windows 7 Pro product key using showkeyplus. If he can install Windows 7 pro and activate it with the product key retrieved with showkeyplus, he could then run gatherosstate.exe on that Windows 7 and get the genuineticket.xml file. He would then copy the genuineticket.xml to the proper folder in Windows 10, restart the computer to Windows 10, and it would hopefully activate. Then delete the temporary Windows 7 installation to comply with the EULA.

NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    Thanks

cereberus, Jan 4, 2016
  12. Porthos Win User
    Porthos, Jan 4, 2016
  13. lbeck Win User

Please pardon my apparent lack of thread protocol. I have been thinking here and on other forums that when the objective shifts substantially that starting a new thread is preferred.

I began my journey with trying to get Ten to install with my original copy of Seven. That resulted in ruining my original working copy of seven. No Ten or seven other than being able to work in seven Safe Mode.

So I started a new thread on how to recover seven with data and programs intact. After much trauma I decided to save my data and install a fresh copy of seven, knowing that I would need to reinstall my programs. With help from NavyLCDR and others I was able to finally get a working copy of seven back - without programs and data (which I realized would happen).

Then with additional help and an additional thread I was able to get TEN installed, but now MSFT says that the needed product key is not found. So I figured the need of a product key is a new problem that may attract the attention of a user that has a workaround. Posting the product key question on the second or third page of a thread dedicated to get windows seven working didn't seem to me to be the appropriate protocol.

I'll continue to work the product key question on this thread. In the mean time, maybe one of you can educate me on the most courteous way to pursue different problems with substantially changing issues. I didn't see my pleas for help as working the same issue on different threads....

I'm not trying to argue or to be overly defensive - only to explain my objectives and what I believed to be the appropriate way to elicit proper attention for the problem(s) at hand.

Lee

lbeck, Jan 4, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    You're fine, lbeck. I just knew you had obtained a Windows 7 product key from your system from the other thread and cereberus didn't know that because he hadn't read the other thread yet.

NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2016
  15. lbeck Win User
    Okay, I'm finally done here.

I began working on this again tonight and decided to review the history on my issue. I was going to re-partition my HDD as suggested by NavyLCDR but after seeing the picture posted by PORTHOS on the other thread I found that I had removed the Product key sticker from the packaging and placed it on my computer as directed. I pulled my computer from under the cabinet where it is neatly tucked away and there was the sticker and key. Entered it on the activation screen and now my computer is happily activated with Windows 10. I don't know why the key wasn't shown in ShowKeyPlus, but that's irrelevant now.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out.

lbeck, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is my copy of Ten eligible for activation? How? - Similar Threads - copy Ten eligible

2. How do I activate my copy of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I activate my copy of Windows: I bought windows 10 for Parallels. I recently tried to reinstall Windows 10. However when I try to activate it i get error code 0XC004F213 which says Windows reported that no product key was foundFebruary 5, 2022 Order number 7786044196I've tried and tried to find how to...
  3. How do I activate my copy of Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I activate my copy of Windows: I bought windows 10 for Parallels. I recently tried to reinstall Windows 10. However when I try to activate it i get error code 0XC004F213 which says Windows reported that no product key was foundFebruary 5, 2022 Order number 7786044196I've tried and tried to find how to...
  4. How do I activate my copy of Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows ten activation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows ten activation: Hello i reset my computer and my windows ten deactivated itself and ive been trying for the past 2 days to enable it again it keeps saying that my windows isnt genuine and when i try to troubleshoot the activation it says there was an error please contact support or find a...
  6. windows ten activation

windows ten activation: i bought a pc from someone and before they brought it they factory reset the version of windows. is there any way to re-activate because i was never given a code? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-ten-activation/9a1c40db-11a9-4497-aeba-15450b351f55
  7. Can't activate windows ten home!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't activate windows ten home!: I paid 140$ just to have Microsoft tell me, "Something happened and we couldn't make your copy of Windows genuine" And when I check my email to see if I can try anything there I get an email from windows telling me I have purchased the thing and when I click on the link to...
  8. Eligibility

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Eligibility: My computer specifications are Intel core2duo CPU E8300 @2.83GHz 4.00 GB RAM 80 GB Garddrive I have installed Windows 10 enterprise. Is it safe using it on these specifications...
  9. windows ten activation

windows ten activation: I can't get my windows ten to activate getting error code ox803fa067 cd copy of windows 10 can some 1 help?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-ten-activation/3f924bb6-e4c7-43ea-a424-f5fd367e5d74
  10. activating windows ten on a refurbished pc

activating windows ten on a refurbished pc: So I got a free download for windows ten onto my laptop. I have now refurbished this old pc and have been running it without activating windows ten. Now it keeps giving me an error code when I try to activate it?...