Windows 10: Is my CPU sub-par or should I upgrade my RAM or do nothing

Discus and support Is my CPU sub-par or should I upgrade my RAM or do nothing in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Undecided whether my CPU needs an upgrade along with the RAM. Unit is a Lenovo Thinkpad T500 with Win10 Pro 64 bit and 4 GB of RAM. CPU is Intel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by eric9000k, Nov 5, 2017.

1. eric9000k Win User

Is my CPU sub-par or should I upgrade my RAM or do nothing

Undecided whether my CPU needs an upgrade along with the RAM.

Unit is a Lenovo Thinkpad T500 with Win10 Pro 64 bit and 4 GB of RAM.
    CPU is Intel Core2Duo P8600 2.4 GHz and it's x64

I have downloaded the "crucial scan" but haven't executed it yet.

Workload is what I'd consider "heavy home use" with multiple user accounts, browsing, downloading, video, some games... hardware is all put through USB 3.0 ExpressCard upgrade with an Anker 7 port USB hub (DC power) except for the Seagate 2 TB slim which is connected to the other 3.0 slot... also VGA to HDMI output and external fan-stand powered by the USB 2.

A quick look at Task Manager reveals the Memory and CPU are at >60% workload from just browsing but I think on average the CPU is the bottleneck.

Anyone with good knowledge of this system please advise whether I should upgrade the CPU along with the RAM or not bother at all, the computer was only $100 so I want to keep using it as long as possible.

:)

eric9000k, Nov 5, 2017
  2. RMayhem Win User

Nvidia GTX 1080 performance issue.

I'm starting to think that something isnt right with my entire PC i have some good specs but i don't think it is running like it should, no ware near as powerful as it should be. Ive listed my specs below. Do you think my Passmark is bad for the specs i
    have or am i just wishing that it would be faster when its actually on par for the specs i have?

Specs

CPU: Intel 5820K

GPU: GTX 1080 (Asus)

Ram: 32GB

MOBO: Asus Sabertooth

Thanks

RMayhem, Nov 5, 2017
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Can I change my GPU, or do I get more RAM?

Neither option is going to go well if by 'heavier' games you mean games such as Battlefield, GTAV, Fallout 4,

or similar AAA titles.

There are a number of issues with a machine of this type which make upgrading for 'heavier' games not cost effective.

Adding another 4GB RAM is not going to help in this instance, because you are still restricted by the integrated

gpu's relatively low power, and you cannot upgrade the integrated graphics, as it is built into the cpu.

- The cpu @2.2GHz is low end these days, and not adequate for many recent high end games. It could also

form a bottleneck when paired with a current mid range dedicated gpu.

- You may not be able to fit some dedicated graphics cards into the compact case.

- The case may not have adequate air-flow or spaces to install more fans to increase air-flow.

Air flow is very important when running high end games, as both gpu and cpu get heavy use. The gpu commonly

just under 100%, which creates a lot of heat.

- The power supply has to have the capacity to run the new dedicated gpu. HP and other OEM mfg's commonly

skimp on the psu, and rarely include a psu that has much capacity to spare. Inadequate psu's are a

common cause of gaming issues as they also get a heavy load feeding the gpu and cpu while running a game.

So you are very likely up for a new psu, which is again complicated by the compact case, which may not use a psu

with standard dimensions.

[ EDIT: Looking at the specs again - Power Adapter ? Does this machine runs off an external power brick ?

If so, it's verydoubtful you will be able to install a dedicated graphics card. If possible it would be low end and

may not do significantly better than the current AMD integrated graphics. ]

BossDweeb, Nov 5, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Firstly, that CPU is an 08 model and this is a laptop and changing out the CPU is a SUPER PITA but can be done. The only issue is the limited CPU's (vendor specific) that mobo will allow and 9 times out of 10 the upgraded CPU isn't worth the cost. It's just not cost effective for the minimal gain.

Now, there are two upgrades you can do to help out; change out HDD to SSD, and max out RAM speed and amount. Again...the issue is cost effectiveness. Is that 08 laptop worth the time and money for those upgrades or would that money be better spent in the purchase of a new and better laptop.

Plankton, Nov 5, 2017
  5. I think even today's Pentium dual core CPUs or just i3 runs circles with your P8600 chip. I'd rather just get a new thinkpad with about 300% or more CPU processing power rather than buy a higher Core2Duo CPU that is 5-10% better than your P8600.

theveterans, Nov 5, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    I've just upgraded a 2004 PC with 4GB RAM with a cheap SSD and the performance boost is amazing. Do this first, then maybe consider increasing the RAM. You can always use the SSD on another PC when you retire your laptop.

I recommend using Macrium Reflect to image the current HDD installation to an external drive then recover that image to the newly installed SSD. You will need a Reflect USB recovery stick to boot from to do this.

Steve C, Nov 6, 2017
  7. eric9000k Win User
    Thanks for the responses.

It looks like you are saying the CPU should not be upgraded in this unit, but it is advisable to update the Hard Disk to a SSD and then run about 8 GB of RAM? (@Steve C ... I wouldn't dare take the case apart unless I was upgrading both at the same time)

The crucial website advertises a 240 GB SSD for this model for 90 dollars which I have no problem purchasing along with 8 GB of RAM

Guys ?> I feel DUMB because I just bought a 2 TB removable hard drive with a spinning disk and now I'm upgrading my laptop to SSD ... lol

Just wondering if anyone thinks the SSD upgrade will not provide the performance boost I am hoping for.

eric9000k, Nov 6, 2017
  8. Is my CPU sub-par or should I upgrade my RAM or do nothing

6GB of ram with that unit is fine. SSD will help improve performance of that old laptop. A Pentium E2180 is already a hundred times more faster than that P8600.

RoasterMen, Nov 6, 2017
  9. Helmut Win User
    As it's so old, CPU dates from 2008, you don't want to spend much money.
    If you can and it's cheap get 8 GB of RAM.

It' s not just about workload, Windows and applications do make use of the extra RAM preloading stuff and minimising read/writes to the HDD.

Even if it's possible on that Laptop, a CPU upgrade or an SSD is a waste of money, which would be better put to a new one.

Helmut, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is my CPU sub-par or should I upgrade my RAM or do nothing - Similar Threads - CPU sub par

2. I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....: For Christmas I will be upgrading the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Will I need to purchase another license for Windows 11 after the upgrade because the system will be with new parts....
  3. I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....: For Christmas I will be upgrading the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Will I need to purchase another license for Windows 11 after the upgrade because the system will be with new parts....
  4. I think my ram is broken what should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think my ram is broken what should I do?: I have 8 gb ram, but only 5,86 gb usable.also every time I start my PC its always used about 3gb it's even still happened in safe modeand don't tell me standard disabling startup programs because I already did itScreenshot above is not startup and I run some programsso yeah,...
  5. I think my ram is broken what should I do?

I think my ram is broken what should I do?: I have 8 gb ram, but only 5,86 gb usable.also every time I start my PC its always used about 3gb it's even still happened in safe modeand don't tell me standard disabling startup programs because I already did itScreenshot above is not startup and I run some programsso yeah,...
  6. Upgrade my ram

Upgrade my ram: hi, i wondering how i can upgrade my ram as i upgraded to windows 11 and my pc ram is 8gb and windows 11 takes 4gb off it, how do i get my rams model number to order another one, also how do i check how much ram my motherboard can upgrade to?...
  7. How should i upgrade my RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How should i upgrade my RAM: Hi there, my name is Daniel and i dont know if i can ask for help on this topic here but if i can here is my question.I have a laptop with 2 slots of ram with 2gb of RAM with a speed of only 800Mhz and i really want to upgrade bc it was performing quite slow lately. So my...
  8. About 50% of my ram and cpu are being used and I hava nothing running.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    About 50% of my ram and cpu are being used and I hava nothing running.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ramune420 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jr7jt8/about_50_of_my_ram_and_cpu_are_being_used_and_i/
  9. How do i upgrade my ram for free

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i upgrade my ram for free: like i can convert my hard space to ram i have 200gb of hard space or like i program that can help me boost my ram i have 2gb of ram becouse i need to play video games...
  10. What should I set my pagefile to after upgrading my ram?

in Windows 10 Support
    What should I set my pagefile to after upgrading my ram?: Topic, What is the minimum size I should set my pagefile too so that I won't run into any problems? Currently I have 8 gb of ram and tomorrow I plan to add another 8 gb for 16 Gb total. DDR4 2133mhz if your curious what type or if that even matters. My Os is on a SSD so when...