Windows 10: Is my internal hard drive damaged?

Discus and support Is my internal hard drive damaged? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 1tb internal hard drive from an old laptop that i have not used. But might have stored very little if any. I put it in an enclosure and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by paulyjustin, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Is my internal hard drive damaged?

I have a 1tb internal hard drive from an old laptop that i have not used. But might have stored very little if any. I put it in an enclosure and connected it via usb to my chromebook. When i did this, i noticed it showed the files etc. But because im not that familiar with chromebook, ,that disappeared. Then i disconnected it from the usb port. Yes i didn't think at all at the time. When i connect it back, i get message from chromebook

whoa there be careful in the future be sure to ejectr your removable device in the files app before =unpluggin it. Otherwise, you might lose data. i got like 20 plus messages of it etc.

The thing is the hard drive still seems to be vibrating a bit when connect to my chromebook. Does anyone know how could i check if it works? I dont mind everything wiped out of there because i dont believe i even put anything in it. I did recall it had like 2gb in one of the 3 files when it was opened etc. But because i dont know how to use chromebook that well, this happened. Does anyone have any tips on this? I assume my chromebook is fine but maybe i damaged the internal hard drive? This is so frustrating.

:)

paulyjustin, Mar 23, 2018

2. Unable to perform backup usinf File history as the hard drive is not getting detected.

I was using an internal Hard Drive to save my files with File history, but that drive got bad and try select another internal Hard Drive, and I do what is needed to change the drive. But not other of my Internal Hard Drive shows in the list. and I do have
    6 Hard Drives. Could you guy help me please.

Original title:File History

AndyRodriguez1987, Mar 23, 2018
  3. Perdzilla Win User
    Why is my Seagate 3TB Hard Drive (internal) preventing Windows 10 from booting up?

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately your two suggested methods did not help at all. The drive still prevents Windows from booting.

For some more info: The drive is being recognized in the BIOS (as the correct size) and every drive is disabled for boot except my OS SSD.

Perdzilla, Mar 23, 2018
  4. Is my internal hard drive damaged?

It shows datapart1 on the files on chromebook. But then it immediately disappears and the message of

Removeable device detected

Explore the device's content in the files app

Whoa, there. Be careful.

In the future, be sure to eject your removable device in the files app before unplugging it. Otherwise, you might lose data.

Does anyone know what i can do now? I had tried to click format device but then the datapart 1 keeps disappearing and reappearing etc.

The thing is i do not want to plug this internal hard drive with enclosure into my main laptop as to damage that. But i do have another windows computer where i could plug it into.

Does anyone have any advice? Oh man i can't believe this happened. The thing is if this was a usb or external hard drive, i dont think this would have happened but because it was an internal hard drive put in with enclosure, could this be damaged the hard drive?

5. I shut down my chromebook while the internal hard drive is connected to the chromebook. Then disconnected it. Turned on chromebook and it does not recognize it as nothing shows up. When i click files, the datapart1 doesn't show up. The enclosure with the hard drive there is some vibration when you hold it.

Does anyone have any tips on what i can do? Should i plug it into a windows computer? I would be using my old windows 7 desktop to test this but the issue is i dont know if its fully cleaned or might have virus etc. But there is no way im plugging the internal hard drive with enclosure into my main laptop.

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Sounds like there is not enough power coming from the USB port to power the enclosure and hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Mar 23, 2018
  7. Hi there but when i first plugged it in, it worked.

Well i had chromebook plugged in charger though.

That would not make sense since people use external hard drive with chromebook right?

8. Is my internal hard drive damaged?

NewHi there. I just plugged in a seagate external hard drive into the usb port in my chromebook. It recognizes it and has no issues. Thus this has nothing to do with the usb port on my chromebook.

When i plugged in the internal hard drive enclosure into it before this, it did recognize it for a second as it showed up with the name database i believe.

Then i did this again and you could see when you open files up, it shows the name of the hard drive as datapart. It would keep showing up and disappearing after few seconds

Then on the bottom right corner, it would have the same message over and over again in like 30 plus notificaitons

Removeable device detected

Explore the device's content in the files app

Whoa, there. Be careful.

In the future, be sure to eject your removable device in the files app before unplugging it. Otherwise, you might lose data.

paulyjustin, Mar 24, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    Not quite, it just proves the Chromebook's USB is working and that it provides enough power for a drive designed to be used as an external drive and be low power.

The old internal drive in an enclosure was not designed to be low power, it may need more power than the USB can provide. Does the enclosure have any provision for providing extra power? Some come with a second USB lead for that purpose.

10. Hi there. I bought this enclosure many years ago from amazon. I have no idea what it can/cannot do. The only reason i bought it was because my old laptop did not work anymore so i was told to buy an enclosure because if you have an ssd that works but that laptop doesn't work, you could use enclosure and then access the ssd hard drive with a separate computer.

This is the exact one i have on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-FE200...rive+enclosure

The thing is i have both an external hard drive and this internal hard drive with enclosure. I know that when i bought them, each one cable with a cable. I used the same usb cable for both the internal hard drive enclosure and the external hard drive enclosure. I have no idea which cable im using. Could that be the reason or not? I will have to look for the other cable. But could it be possible the cable im using is for the external hard drive? And the one thats internal hard drive, its different and i can't just use that external hard drive cable in place of it even thought if its?

Because when you buy an enclosure like the one i posted about in the link, they supply you with the cable right? Thus when i bought each the enclosure and the external hard drive, i should have gotten a cable for each? But are these cables the same or not?

11. Bree New Member
    Looks like the FE2004 doesn't have any way to give it extra power, pity. I suspect the chromebook cannot provide sufficient power for that particular hard drive. It may be able to provide more power if you try it with its charger plugged in.

You may also find that a PC can provide sufficient power. If it works when plugged into a PC but not when used with the chromebook then lack of power is the most likely cause. I'd also run a disk check if it works in the PC in case the problem with the chromebook has caused any file system errors.

12. Try checking the S.M.A.R.T. status.

Badcatalex, Mar 24, 2018
  13. f14tomcat Win User

Is my internal hard drive damaged?

Easiest way to check those value is with Crystal Disk Info. *Arrow Crystal Dew World upper left blue box. Example:

Is my internal hard drive damaged? [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Mar 24, 2018
  14. Hi there. I had the charger plugged in when i did this. Same issue.

I plugged it into windows computer and it does recognize it. It was connect to windows 7 desktop etc.

If that is the case, why is it when i plugged in an external hard drive it worked?

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expan...nal+hard+drive

I connected the seagate 1tb external hard drive and it recognized it fine.

15. I did use that crystal program. It showed the health as good. Or do you have to pay attention to the numbers?

i did recall when i plugged it into windows 7 desktop, it had to check for sectors and there were like over 200 million etc.

but everytime i connect it to windows laptop, it recognizes it.

Thema:

Is my internal hard drive damaged?

1. Is my internal hard drive damaged? - Similar Threads - internal hard drive

2. Hard Drive Corrupt or Damaged + Locked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive Corrupt or Damaged + Locked: Summary: my previous Windows 11 drive ADATA SSD "crashed". I was not able to restore or recover Windows on that drive. I bought a new drive Samsung SSD and installed Windows on it. I want to access my Documents on ADATA SSD. But the drive is locked.It seems that the drive is...
  3. Hard Drive Corrupt or Damaged + Locked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive Corrupt or Damaged + Locked: Summary: my previous Windows 11 drive ADATA SSD "crashed". I was not able to restore or recover Windows on that drive. I bought a new drive Samsung SSD and installed Windows on it. I want to access my Documents on ADATA SSD. But the drive is locked.It seems that the drive is...
  4. Internal hard drive recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Internal hard drive recovery: I have two hard drives. The normal C: drive and an E: drive that I use for data only. Microsoft destroyed that drive while I was trying to create a USB recovery drive. My Backup and Restore shows multiple E: backups with a single folder and a Desktop.ini file. Nothing else....
  5. Hard drive damaged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive damaged: I'm not able to partition my disk inspite of repeated trials. Is it possible my HDD is damaged? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-damaged/489371b3-6aec-4830-9211-a9b21bf4c79c
  6. removing internal hard drive

removing internal hard drive: so i wanted to check something while i have no hdd and i want to remove my wd blue hard drive but i don't know if it's safe to start pc after unplugging hdd or not and my windows 10 is installed on my ssd so what should i do?...
  7. Is my hard drive damaged?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my hard drive damaged?: [ATTACH] So I have several related questions on my profile and if you don't have an answer to this question the other questions will certainly help you to understand. So it is best to have a look. Now to the question should my hard disk really be damaged what else can I...
  8. Internal Hard Drive Problem

Internal Hard Drive Problem: Hello, I am using ASUS X560UD with an internal hard drive. And sometimes when my battery is low about 30% the hard drive suddenly disconnects and it also happen randomly with a lot battery. Anyone have the solution? I have made the power plan to never disable hard drive and...
  9. Missing internal hard drive

Missing internal hard drive: 1. I had my computer upgrade with my assure plan in the Microsoft store. We replaced the primary drive with a SSD hard drive and used the original internal 1 TB HD as the data drive. Recently my computer went through a windows 10 update and I lot the internal HD in my disk...
  10. Internal Hard Drive

Internal Hard Drive: I have an internal hard drive i got from my day that came out of his desk top. It has a lot of data on it i want to recover and put onto an external dar drive. I can see the drive when i run diskmgmt but cannot right click on it or browse files. I get this error with it "was...