Windows 10: Is my SSD actually being defragged (I thnk not, but...

Discus and support Is my SSD actually being defragged (I thnk not, but... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Today an error in the Event Viewer made me pause. Would someone provide confirmation or correction to my thinking. BTW, TRIM is enabled on the SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ExpertNovice, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Is my SSD actually being defragged (I thnk not, but...

Today an error in the Event Viewer made me pause. Would someone provide confirmation or correction to my thinking. BTW, TRIM is enabled on the SSD drive (C*Smile.

• The "completed defragmentation on OS (C*Smile is incorrect. I want the optimizer to run TRIM but not to defrag.
    • After reading the posts I'm thinking Optimizer should be run monthly instead of weekly to reduce writes. (C: has 326 GB free of 452 GB)
    • Optimize Drive reports that the System & Restore partitions have never been Optimized. I think they should be unscheduled to avoid the attempt.
    • If you are not too tired yet, WHAT is a Restore partition? Searches lead to "how to restore" and "the recovery partition".

Supporting details.
    This is the error in event viewer

• The volume Restore was not optimized because an error was encountered: The disk being optimized is full. (0x8900001F)
    Associated Information event entries.

• The storage optimizer successfully completed retrim on OS (C*Smile <<good
    • The storage optimizer successfully completed defragmentation on OS (C*Smile <<< WHAT!?
    • The storage optimizer successfully completed retrim on Recovery
    • The storage optimizer successfully completed defragmentation on Recovery

These posts both helped my understanding and raised more questions!
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...ed-trim-right/
    Why is Windows defragging my SSD?

ASUS ROG G751JY (Laptop)
    CPU: 2.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4710HQ
    MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G751JT 1.0
    Mem: 32 MB
    Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M

:)

ExpertNovice, Nov 3, 2017
  2. SarahKong Win User

Stop windows from defragmenting my SSD!!!

Hi Bob I get this all the time when I teach the Windows 10 course and I will tell you what I tell my students.

Yes, Windows does put all your drives even if they are SSD in the Weekly defrag schedule.

However, Windows will NOT defrag an SSD weekly, at the most it does this once a month. And you are right that SSD drives don't get fragmented as often but they still can get fragmented. So the defrag utility will first check to see if if requires a defrag before
    defraging. It actually does that on all types of drives.

And for SSD drives it doesn't do the same "traditional defrag" as with HDD drives.

It actually uses a TRIM feature to defrag SSD drives.

So you don't need to disable it all. I have a laptop that has a SSD drive and it has been running Windows 10 for 2 years with defrag enabled it is absolutely fine.

I hope this helps. Take care.

SarahKong, Nov 3, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Optimization not available Windows 10 Pro

An SSD shouldn't be defragmented. It's not really necessary and will shorten the SSD's useful life.

That's why Microsoft changed the name from 'defragment' to 'optimize.' For a HDD, 'optimize' means defragment; for an SSD, 'optimize' means running the TRIM command and performing a procedure known as 'garbage collection.' If you have a hybrid, both definitions
    apply to the respective components.

Whatever the type of drive, Windows checks whether it needs to be optimized on a regular schedule, but the procedure only happens when it's actually necessary. Improvements in HDD and SSD logic make regular optimization less necessary.

BulldogXX, Nov 3, 2017
  4. Helmut Win User

Is my SSD actually being defragged (I thnk not, but...

1. Windows knows what is an HDD or SSD and uses the appropriate optimisation method for the kind of drive, you do nothing except select a schedule.

2. I choose monthly there, ultimately a trivial point.

3. If you are worried then do a manual one, the Optimise button.
    The small system ones and the manufacturers recovery partitions contents don't change so don't need any optimisation.

4. Normally this is a manufacturers Restore Partition 10-20 GB or so, which is Windows as supplied when you bought the PC/Laptop. Used to restore to bought state and making a manufacturers Recovery drive.

That partition is usually just about full which does not matter as it never changes and obviously no optimisation required, therefore your error message you can just ignore.
    The other event entries are you fiddling about doing things you should not be doing on partitions that don't change in content.

Helmut, Nov 3, 2017
  5. Thank you. I sort of figured it was a misnomer left over from pre-SSD days. I think monthly as well.

Not so much worried as avoiding the attempt knowing it always fails so why bother. It may fail because I don't use the admin account very often or for very long.

Thanks again!

ExpertNovice, Nov 4, 2017
  6. roy111 Win User
    When i installed win 10 with a SSD I had to manually enable TRIM for the SSD, to say that you can not just blindly trust windows to "do the right thing", as any software is has bugs.

roy111, Nov 4, 2017
  7. Agreed. When the system was purchased that was one of the early configurations performed. So far, all SSD drives came with TRIM enabled. Plus, I checked it again just to be thorough.

ExpertNovice, Nov 4, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD? - Scott Hanselman

The defrag of the SSD by Windows is very minimal and is only done due to the reason quoted above. It's to keep the actual file system from crashing and not to improve performance.

NavyLCDR, Nov 4, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR,

That was an awesome post. Thank you for sharing. I'm sending the link to several friends.

ExpertNovice, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is my SSD actually being defragged (I thnk not, but... - Similar Threads - SSD actually being

2. Defrag a SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defrag a SSD: I have been told by Norton it is safe to use the defrag tool that is built into Windows even on a SSD. I was very worried about it because I have damaged a SSD before by defragmenting it. I used a third party tool then though. Has Norton lied to me about this. I had paid for...
  3. Defrag a SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defrag a SSD: I have been told by Norton it is safe to use the defrag tool that is built into Windows even on a SSD. I was very worried about it because I have damaged a SSD before by defragmenting it. I used a third party tool then though. Has Norton lied to me about this. I had paid for...
  4. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should i defragment an SSD?: my laptop now is slower than 1 month ago. In today, when i turned on laptop, it't automatic run checking disk. After checked disk, my laptop is quiet slow. I can't analyze C drive so i downloaded Defraggler and analyze disk. It's said 22% disk defragted then 26% defragted. I...
  5. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should i defragment an SSD?: my laptop now is slower than 1 month ago. In today, when i turned on laptop, it't automatic run checking disk. After checked disk, my laptop is quiet slow. I can't analyze C drive so i downloaded Defraggler and analyze disk. It's said 22% disk defragted then 26% defragted. I...
  6. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Defrag SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defrag SSD: I have read defragging a SSD (Solid State drive) can greatly shorten its life so i have turned off scheduled maintenance for C & D discs however it seems to turn itself back on again over time (i am not sure when) is there a way of uninstalling windows 10 defrag or a...
  8. Defragmenting SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragmenting SSD: Hello everyone! Should I use the Windows 10 built-in Disk Defragmentation to defragment my SSD? Some internet sources suggest that SSDs should never be defragmented. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-ssd/a3aac7a1-64d5-4c2d-a1eb-7b62401e340d
  9. To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD): My secondary drive in my system is a 2TB standard hard drive. Windows 10 defrag (both UI and the command line) tells me that I do not need to defrag the disk, as it is "0% fragmented" but upon delving a little further (adding the /V switch) I notice that it doesn't include...
  10. Is it bad to defrag a SSD? Also, should I defrag at all?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it bad to defrag a SSD? Also, should I defrag at all?: Should I defrag my SSD and or Harddrive? my windows 10 is on my SSD and I have a few games on my SSD and majority of random games and files are on my HDD. I heard it's bad to defrag a SSD 100910

Users found this page by searching for:

1. defragged ssd drive how much shorter life