Windows 10: Is my system out of date?

Discus and support Is my system out of date? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi I am running Windows 10 Pro x64 and it regularly updates, but its on version 1607 and updates say its UP TO DATE - yet my friends computer is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by snadge, Nov 8, 2017.

1. snadge Win User

Is my system out of date?

Hi

I am running Windows 10 Pro x64 and it regularly updates, but its on version 1607 and updates say its UP TO DATE - yet my friends computer is on 1703 after updates (not the FALL update as that is 1709) .. why wont mine update to 1703...?

the only option I can find is to manually install the Fall Update to 1709 - wont automatically, also I was just curious as to why my friends is 1703 and "up to date" and mine is 1607 and "up to date"...?

can anyone answer this?

thanks

:)

snadge, Nov 8, 2017

2. Locked Out of my System

Hello Everyone. The Problem that I am having on my other system is this. Months ago I had started using my pin number to sign in to my system, so in doing so I basically forgot my actual password. Now recently I was getting some difficulty in opening some
    of my desktop apps so I decided to do a little research. What I found I could do was start my computer in safe mode by heading to 'msconfig'. after, I would then re start my system in normal mode. this would of effectively cured the problem. However, I found
    that I was unable to revert back to normal mode as it was an administrative option that I could only access through the use of my long forgotten password.

Please note that, I do have access to my other pc account as I had remembered that password. However, that account is practically useless as I have no access to the internet in safe mode. Furthermore, I have already tried to hold f8 on start up but nothing
    happens. I have even tried to go into 'sign in options' on the other system account, but I am just met with an infinite loading screen.

The Laptop is a Lenovo Yoga

I use windows 10

Urgent help is needed and would be much appreciated

Thank you in advance.

JoshuaJordan1, Nov 8, 2017
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Tryx3, Nov 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

It may be that your system parameters are such that MS's servers are set not to deliver that to you. MS has a policy of not delivering upgrades to systems which might have problems with them, although this seems very variable in practice.

Or, as you have Pro, do you have 'Defer feature updates' set in Settings?

If you were to be offered an upgrade, assuming no compatibility issues, I'd expect it to be to 1709, rather than 1703 at this stage.

You can update manually, of course, (to 1709 by default) but I would strongly recommend you create or update your disk image before doing so (we suggest Macrium Reflect (free) ). We strongly advise people to use disk imaging routinely. And before doing so, have a look at the threads from the last 3 weeks about people's experiences of 1709.

dalchina, Nov 8, 2017
  5. snadge Win User
    thanks a lot, I dont have defer feature updates,

got a new issue now though:

i cant put the update on just yet, as im having serious issues with Dimitri Renderer's licensing problems, it deactivates if you install programs...by design!! the dev is asking if im finished with installing stuff on my PC so he can activate it ... bloody terrible, blaming me updating Sandboxie and having VM installed on my PC, says "Copy protection software and emulation software are incompatible by default" im not even using the program in the VM - its a Media Player Classic DirectShow Filter that Interpolates video , paid £8 for it... I would use SVP but it maxes out my CPU FAN and has more artifacts than DR

so bloody annoyed as I literally need the program but keeps deactivating itself, other people have reported this issue with his software - avoid like the plague.

will let you know how I get on with the manual update

snadge, Nov 9, 2017
  6. snadge Win User
    managed to get it installed...all working fine so far

thanks for your help

snadge, Nov 9, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Good- now while it's still working, take the time to create your first disk image so when things go wrong you can go back to a previous working state quickly and painlessly without technical help.

Here's my write-up on the value of disk imaging.

Everyone who contributes regularly here uses and recommends disk imaging.

If you use it, you can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.
    Can be used with Laplink software to transfer your build automatically to another PC

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your imaged disks and partitions to a previous working state from compressed copies you have created and kept updated on external storage media, quickly and probably without technical help.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

You need a backup medium - say- twice as large as the total amount of data you are imaging to keep a reasonable number of differential images. This will vary dependent on the number of images you keep, so is only a rough practical guide.

Some comment that system restore isn't always reliable; if it works and solves the problem, great. But sometimes restores won't work or fail. And of course a restore point only covers a limited number of aspects of the system. That’s where disk imaging comes in.

(There's a tutorial on Macrium in the Tutorials section, and a couple of videos in the user videos section on this forum)
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members

Is my system out of date? [​IMG]
    Macrium automatically selects all the partitions comprising Windows if you select that option.

You can of course back up any combination of disks and partitions.

dalchina, Nov 9, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

It took 6 months for my laptop to update to the CU. I would just wait fro MS to release the update for your system.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is my system out of date? - Similar Threads - system date

2. I just can't get my pc to do an older date to System restore. It only lets me restore to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just can't get my pc to do an older date to System restore. It only lets me restore to...: I can't get to a System Restore point beyond today. I'm not able to print files or get my best fakebook profiles for my business. I accidentally pressed an unwanted Facebook profile so now I'm stuck. I have tried several recommendations to get this resolved with no results....
  3. I just can't get my pc to do an older date to System restore. It only lets me restore to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I just can't get my pc to do an older date to System restore. It only lets me restore to...: I can't get to a System Restore point beyond today. I'm not able to print files or get my best fakebook profiles for my business. I accidentally pressed an unwanted Facebook profile so now I'm stuck. I have tried several recommendations to get this resolved with no results....
  4. I just can't get my pc to do an older date to System restore. It only lets me restore to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System files "Date modified" set in future

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System files "Date modified" set in future: Hi,I cannot access software tools that I need because their licensing server detects files that have the "Date modified" property set in the future, and draws the conclusion that I set the date back to extend my license. This is happening because I set the system date to be...
  6. System files "Date modified" set in future

System files "Date modified" set in future: Hi,I cannot access software tools that I need because their licensing server detects files that have the "Date modified" property set in the future, and draws the conclusion that I set the date back to extend my license. This is happening because I set the system date to be...
  7. Creating A System Restore Point disallows one to create one for a past date to remove what...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating A System Restore Point disallows one to create one for a past date to remove what...: Hello, Here's the problem: I have no freedom on my own computer! Microsoft needs to understand that RELEVANCE is important to each individual; therefore, each USER should be able to UNINSTALL any app or UPDATE that they deem unwelcomed! Without relevance for the USER, it...
  8. Creating A System Restore Point disallows one to create one for a past date to remove what...

Creating A System Restore Point disallows one to create one for a past date to remove what...: Hello, Here's the problem: I have no freedom on my own computer! Microsoft needs to understand that RELEVANCE is important to each individual; therefore, each USER should be able to UNINSTALL any app or UPDATE that they deem unwelcomed! Without relevance for the USER, it...
  9. Show time and date in the System tray is greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show time and date in the System tray is greyed out: Hello!"Show time and date in the System tray" is greyed out after latest updates, Time clock in tray is just dissapeared firstly, and after I looked at this option in "Settings" and I'm not able to do anything with that.Default options like: sfc /scannow, dism.exe not helped....
  10. Show time and date in the System tray is greyed out

Show time and date in the System tray is greyed out: Hello!"Show time and date in the System tray" is greyed out after latest updates, Time clock in tray is just dissapeared firstly, and after I looked at this option in "Settings" and I'm not able to do anything with that.Default options like: sfc /scannow, dism.exe not helped....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my system is out of date

2. system is out of date on samsung