Windows 10: Is my windows 10 license bound to my windows ID?

Discus and support Is my windows 10 license bound to my windows ID? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I know this has probably been asked a bunch of times, but I heard they might've changed things. Is my windows 10 license bound to my windows ID? So... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bobsagetfullhou, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Is my windows 10 license bound to my windows ID?

I know this has probably been asked a bunch of times, but I heard they might've changed things.

Is my windows 10 license bound to my windows ID? So if I build a totally new computer and login will it activate? Or is it bound to my hardware? I'm on the anniversary update.

:)

bobsagetfullhou, Dec 8, 2016
  2. ArianF. Win User

Digital license bind question

So I have a Windows 10 digital license bound to my Microsoft account and my current laptop is activated with the digital license from that account

And then I also have an older laptop which has an SSD I want to salvage to a new PC I am building, and that laptop still has windows 8.1 installed in the SSD

Now My questions are the following

1. If I were to salvage the SSD from that and use it on the new PC, will I need a new product key or something?

2. If I were to upgrade the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, will I need to pay the upgrade cost or will my digital license from my account make it free for me to upgrade?

3. If I install a windows 10 via bootable USB made from media creation tool, will I need a new product key even though I have a digital license bound to my Microsoft account?

ArianF., Dec 8, 2016
  3. mZia87 Win User
    Is the Windows 10 Digital License bound to hardware?

While I still find this very helpful, I still have a couple of questions, and one may be a bit out of this topic but here it goes:

- the windows (Windows 7 ) I installed did not come with the machine I bought but I downloaded it from a program through my university. So, how would I know if it's a retail version or OEM? Another question in this instance is that if it's retail, how do
    I deactivate like some user suggested to move it to another machine.

- The second (or third) question is that I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but now I want to do a fresh install because resetting/repairing is not solving my problem completely and the problems come and go. If I download Windows 10 (using Media Creation
    Tool) and make a bootable USB, will I have to activate windows or will it be automatically activated? If it's former, will the Win 7 product key I have work. and will it be considered a transfer? (Since, according to what I've read, I am only allowed one transfer).
    I might buy a new upgraded machine but probably in parts, so it won't have Windows 10 OEM. I do not think they are even available in my country yet, and that PC might only come with Windows 7/8 w/o upgraded Windows 10 (I am not sure I could even upgrade on
    that PC/Laptop since upgrade time has elapsed).

- If somehow the answers to all of the above comes in informative, can I switch from 32-bit (x86) to 64-bit (x64)?

mZia87, Dec 8, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Is my windows 10 license bound to my windows ID?

Its bound to the hardware and your id so building a new pc wont ativate as the hardware is different you would have to buy a new copy

Samuria, Dec 8, 2016
  5. Ahh, that is unfortunate. Thanks

6. The thing is, what exactly does MS see as a new PC? If I swap out my motherboard, does MS still think that is my current PC? Do they define anywhere what exactly you're able to swap out?

7. VBJP Win User
    New PC is usually considered new motherboard, most of the time changing CPU, HDD/SSD, RAM, GPU etc windows still considers it's same PC.

At least with older versions there was OEM and retail type licenses retail can be transferred to new pc OEM is bound to that pc.
    After motherboard change or many other changes most likely it will be necessary to activate windows by phone.

Microsoft account bound windows 10 licenses may be possible to activate after hardware changes.

VBJP, Dec 8, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is my windows 10 license bound to my windows ID? - Similar Threads - license bound

2. changed my motherboard how to use my old digital license to activate windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    changed my motherboard how to use my old digital license to activate windows 10: changed my motherboard how to use my old digital license to activate windows 10. I have two microsoft accounts and I dont remember which has the digital license any way I signed in with the two accounts and when I try "change product key" I get error that this license used on...
  3. desktop is busted - cant deactivate windows10 license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    desktop is busted - cant deactivate windows10 license: My desktop is busted and wont boot so I am unable to deactivate my Win10 Home license. So how do I use my license to activate Win10 in a new desktop?...
  4. Windows 10 Pro license

Windows 10 Pro license: I purchased an HP laptop that came with Windows 10 Home 64 bit and later on (December 2018) I added some memory and went online to the Microsoft Store and purchased a Windows 10 Pro upgrade for $99. Now, I want to purchase a new laptop that has Windows 10 Home on it but I...
  5. Digital License not activating Windows 10

Digital License not activating Windows 10: I've recently built a new PC and I'm trying to activate Windows 10 on it. I've reinstalled my Windows on several PCs before and it's never been an issue, it's always activated itself. I have a digital license connected to my Microsoft account, and I am logged in on this PC...
  6. Swapping HD drive licensing query

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping HD drive licensing query: Ok. I have an HP machine with a brand new replacement SSD 500 drive (win pro). All licenced etc The machine is playing up so have bought an identical model as a replacement. This come with 1tb HHD and freshly installed win10 home with licence. I want the 500 to be the boot...
  7. Backing up an OEM version to new retail license.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backing up an OEM version to new retail license.: I built a new computer and bought a new retail version of Windows 10 and installed it on my internal SSD. My old hard drive has an OEM version of Windows with 2 users( me and my alter ego account). Can I just install that hard drive as a secondary drive to extract some files...
  8. How can i check my Windows 10 License Retail or OEM version.

How can i check my Windows 10 License Retail or OEM version.: because my windows 10 is upgraded from a windows 7 disk that I bought like more than 5 years ago, how can I check it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-check-my-windows-10-license-retail-or/5d410ded-2d82-4d42-97de-82d9da86122f"
  9. Windows 10 home License

Windows 10 home License: Hi I've recently upgraded my windows 10 home to windows 10 pro now what happens to my windows 10 home license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-license/4a84d250-7a04-4d9d-bf60-3d90640cfb1a"
  10. post successful changing windows 10home license to pro, features are not getting download...

post successful changing windows 10home license to pro, features are not getting download...: post successful changing windows 10home license to pro, features are not getting download or added. please help to download windows 10pro...