Windows 10: Is my windows 10 license bound to my windows ID?

Discus and support Is my windows 10 license bound to my windows ID? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I know this has probably been asked a bunch of times, but I heard they might've changed things. Is my windows 10 license bound to my windows ID? So... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bobsagetfullhou, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Is my windows 10 license bound to my windows ID?

I know this has probably been asked a bunch of times, but I heard they might've changed things.

Is my windows 10 license bound to my windows ID? So if I build a totally new computer and login will it activate? Or is it bound to my hardware? I'm on the anniversary update.

:)

bobsagetfullhou, Dec 8, 2016
  2. ArianF. Win User

Digital license bind question

So I have a Windows 10 digital license bound to my Microsoft account and my current laptop is activated with the digital license from that account

And then I also have an older laptop which has an SSD I want to salvage to a new PC I am building, and that laptop still has windows 8.1 installed in the SSD

Now My questions are the following

1. If I were to salvage the SSD from that and use it on the new PC, will I need a new product key or something?

2. If I were to upgrade the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, will I need to pay the upgrade cost or will my digital license from my account make it free for me to upgrade?

3. If I install a windows 10 via bootable USB made from media creation tool, will I need a new product key even though I have a digital license bound to my Microsoft account?

ArianF., Dec 8, 2016
  3. mZia87 Win User
    Is the Windows 10 Digital License bound to hardware?

While I still find this very helpful, I still have a couple of questions, and one may be a bit out of this topic but here it goes:

- the windows (Windows 7 ) I installed did not come with the machine I bought but I downloaded it from a program through my university. So, how would I know if it's a retail version or OEM? Another question in this instance is that if it's retail, how do
    I deactivate like some user suggested to move it to another machine.

- The second (or third) question is that I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but now I want to do a fresh install because resetting/repairing is not solving my problem completely and the problems come and go. If I download Windows 10 (using Media Creation
    Tool) and make a bootable USB, will I have to activate windows or will it be automatically activated? If it's former, will the Win 7 product key I have work. and will it be considered a transfer? (Since, according to what I've read, I am only allowed one transfer).
    I might buy a new upgraded machine but probably in parts, so it won't have Windows 10 OEM. I do not think they are even available in my country yet, and that PC might only come with Windows 7/8 w/o upgraded Windows 10 (I am not sure I could even upgrade on
    that PC/Laptop since upgrade time has elapsed).

- If somehow the answers to all of the above comes in informative, can I switch from 32-bit (x86) to 64-bit (x64)?

mZia87, Dec 8, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Is my windows 10 license bound to my windows ID?

Its bound to the hardware and your id so building a new pc wont ativate as the hardware is different you would have to buy a new copy

Samuria, Dec 8, 2016
  5. Ahh, that is unfortunate. Thanks

6. The thing is, what exactly does MS see as a new PC? If I swap out my motherboard, does MS still think that is my current PC? Do they define anywhere what exactly you're able to swap out?

7. VBJP Win User
    New PC is usually considered new motherboard, most of the time changing CPU, HDD/SSD, RAM, GPU etc windows still considers it's same PC.

At least with older versions there was OEM and retail type licenses retail can be transferred to new pc OEM is bound to that pc.
    After motherboard change or many other changes most likely it will be necessary to activate windows by phone.

Microsoft account bound windows 10 licenses may be possible to activate after hardware changes.

VBJP, Dec 8, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is my windows 10 license bound to my windows ID? - Similar Threads - license bound

2. HELP! CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound device license,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP! CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound device license,: I recently was having issues with my computer where it was freezing up alot and ended up running a factory reset. When I went to download and run the launcher for Minecraft I recieve this message:CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound device...
  3. HELP! CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound device license,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HELP! CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound device license,: I recently was having issues with my computer where it was freezing up alot and ended up running a factory reset. When I went to download and run the launcher for Minecraft I recieve this message:CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound device...
  4. CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound device license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound device license: I had Minecraft and a bunch of other games that ran perfectly fine, I reset my pc to clean it up and to set it up fresh. now I can’t download the Minecraft launcher it keeps bringing up that pop-up. Nothing about my device has changed, im running windows 11 just as before the...
  5. CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound device license

CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound device license: I had Minecraft and a bunch of other games that ran perfectly fine, I reset my pc to clean it up and to set it up fresh. now I can’t download the Minecraft launcher it keeps bringing up that pop-up. Nothing about my device has changed, im running windows 11 just as before the...
  6. I am getting the error CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am getting the error CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound...: I have been trying to download minecraft for over three hours now and I keep getting varying errors. I have no idea why this is occuring as I have a brand new laptop. It is windows 11 and I am assuming that is causing part of the issue but I have no idea. I have...
  7. I am getting the error CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound...

I am getting the error CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound...: I have been trying to download minecraft for over three hours now and I keep getting varying errors. I have no idea why this is occuring as I have a brand new laptop. It is windows 11 and I am assuming that is causing part of the issue but I have no idea. I have...
  8. clip license id does not match the device id in the bound device license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    clip license id does not match the device id in the bound device license: I have just purchased a new laptop and it came with 3 months of game pass. I've used game pass before on an old laptop which has since died and I no longer can access it. After downloading a game on game pass and trying to run it, I get a windows error "clip license id does...
  9. clip license id does not match the device id in the bound device license

clip license id does not match the device id in the bound device license: I have just purchased a new laptop and it came with 3 months of game pass. I've used game pass before on an old laptop which has since died and I no longer can access it. After downloading a game on game pass and trying to run it, I get a windows error "clip license id does...
  10. CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license

CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license: Unable to install minecraft for windows on a windows 11 nitro5 laptop fresh install nothing change ran sfc /cannow no issues detected.And I tried WSReset.exe nothjing works and I checked my account on minecraft microsoft account bedrock eddition just shows as there. and java...