Windows 10: Is new COA needed to change from Pro to Enterprise or LTSB?

Discus and support Is new COA needed to change from Pro to Enterprise or LTSB? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have two machines in question. One 8.1x64 Pro and one 10x64 Pro. When I: Code: DISM /online /Get-CurrentEdition[/quote] and Code: DISM /online... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by 10userNYC, Nov 13, 2016.

1. 10userNYC Win User

Is new COA needed to change from Pro to Enterprise or LTSB?

I have two machines in question. One 8.1x64 Pro and one 10x64 Pro. When I: Code: DISM /online /Get-CurrentEdition[/quote] and Code: DISM /online /Get-TargetEditions[/quote] , on the 8.1 machine I see current edition is Code: Professional[/quote] and Code: Target Edition: ProfessionalWMC[/quote] but not Enterprise. Not that it really matters but would I need to upgrade to 10 to switch over to Enterprise or LTSB?

On the 10x64 Pro machine I see: Code: Current Edition : Professional[/quote] and Code: Target Edition : Enterprise[/quote] and Code: Target Edition : Education[/quote] . The 10 machine was 8.1 Pro which I did the free upgrade with so I don't really want to mess with the OS/licensing unless I know its a sure thing. Do I need a new COA/key to go from Pro to Ent and/or LTSB? Thanks.

:)

10userNYC, Nov 13, 2016

2. Windows 10 activation

You cannot change from pro to enterprise. You need to purchase enterprise from the volume licensing store or reinstall pro

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 13, 2016
  3. Is Windows 10 the worst Oparating System Ever

Then please explain all my MB replacements in OEM Cases

and then using the OEM COA with OEM System Builder Edge to Edge Hologram Media ! XP to win 7

My PC building and repairing goes back to DOS + Win 3.10

When Activation came around, it was common knowledge in the Repair shops that the OEM Supplied COA worked with OEM System Builder Media on any hardware

and then that leaked out to the general public and they began borrowing or sharing a single install media and pinching the COAs from display PCs at big box stores

or they would go "purchase" a PC with no intention of keeping it

pinch the COA and return it the next day

which is one reason why they nuked the X08 COAs with the change of the Product Code algorithm on the XP Service Pack integrated Media

and further reason for the change to BIOS/UEFI embedded COA with win 8 and up

The OEM Affixed COA is unused until it's first activation on whatever hardware it finds itself activated on

once activated that is the MB the COA dies with, not the OEM hardware it was stuck to

There are thousands of unused COAs out there in recycle dumps because the user, used the OEM SLP install until the hardware died

or in the case of VLK usage in Pro -> Enterprise upgrades

same thing, thousands of unused Pro COAs from XP to win 7

IT used the VLK with either individual installs or "corporate" image based install,

and the OEM Affixed COA was never used

With the Advent of the ISO distribution beginning in Vista, you don't even need to be in possession of the Edge to Edge Hologram media anymore

I know of repair guys who buy junk PCs from the local recycle just to get the COAs from the cases.

it's not misinformation in the slightest

the OEM COAs are unused until actually entered during an installation

there is absolutely no way for MS to detect that the previously unused COA isn't being used to install on the hardware it's stuck to

this is why the Product Recovery page refuses win 7 OEM Mfg. Supplied COA Keys

only Retail FPP and Upgrade Keys work on the Product Recovery page

because Retail and Upgrade are the only transferable SKUs

Locutus deBorg, Nov 13, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

You can't switch from Pro to Enterprise unless you have a volume licensing agreement with MS that grants a volume license key for a certain number of Enterprise licenses, or some other kind of licensing arrangement with MS that covers Enterprise. It is not available for retail purchase (at least, not legitimately). The only exceptions to this ironclad rule are
    (1) sign up for the Enterprise version of Insider Preview (Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO Advanced)
    (2) Each MSDN subscription include a single license for Enterprise, but it is a multiple activation key

Is new COA needed to change from Pro to Enterprise or LTSB? [​IMG]

(As you can see, that's how I got access to Enterprise myself--and I'm also running the Insider version, too)
    Once you have a key for Enterprise, you *may* be able to perform an Upgrade install. However, the consensus of the TenForums wizards is that a clean install is nearly always a better idea/approach.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Is new COA needed to change from Pro to Enterprise or LTSB? - Similar Threads - COA needed change

2. Change from Windows enterprise to Windows 10 pro

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change from Windows enterprise to Windows 10 pro: My earlier company had given a laptop with Windows enterprise. I've left that company and now I want to shift from Windows enterprise to Windows pro or home with a new digital licence from MS....
  3. Win10 Pro & Enterprise to Win10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB File Share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Pro & Enterprise to Win10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB File Share: So I found a strange file sharing behavior (sharing set to password protected sharing), point to point network shown as public network on both platforms, where a login screen for PC using windows explorer will not spawn and using TCP\IP as address, ex. "\\192.168.3.7" in...
  4. Upgrading to Pro -> Changed to Enterprise...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading to Pro -> Changed to Enterprise...: I tried to upgrade to Pro from Windows 10 Home SL. I have a license linked to my Microsoft account so I had an install option in the Store. I used this option. But now, the settings show Windows 10 Enterprise as the edition. Is this a problem? I don't have any Enterprise...
  5. Windows Update Change from Pro to Enterprise

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Change from Pro to Enterprise: My computer has Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. After I ran Windows Update and 2019-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4505903) was installed, Windows Settings states "Windows isn't activated. Activate Windows now. After unsuccessfully trying...
  6. Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016: I have a question about Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB from 2016, version build 1607. Could you help me? I’d like to know if this is a supported version and if this version gets security updates...
  7. Windows Enterprise LTSB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Enterprise LTSB: Dear Sir what is diefference between Windows Enterprise LTSB & Windows Enterprise LTSB 2016. Regards Umesh https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-enterprise-ltsb/4d053f85-9a3c-4698-89b5-309d844766e0
  8. No Windows Sticky Notes in Enterprise LTSB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Windows Sticky Notes in Enterprise LTSB: Is it to possible to use stikynot? Can it be installed? 67095
  9. Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB: I just noticed this pop up on my MSDN downloads: Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB Looks like it may be 14393, as it was just released. But, this appears to be a new moniker (2016) rather than 1607. 60005
  10. Enterprise vs Enterprise LTSB vs Education?

in Windows 10 Support
    Enterprise vs Enterprise LTSB vs Education?: Are these 3 versions essentially identical out of the box, except for the way Windows Update works? 18153