Windows 10: Is rebooting during chkdsk safe?

Discus and support Is rebooting during chkdsk safe? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Around 9PM EDT, I started running chkdsk /r on Windows 10. It's been over 2.5 hours and it's stuck at 11%. I am going to sleep around 1:30 to 2AM.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by leftisthominid, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Is rebooting during chkdsk safe?

Around 9PM EDT, I started running chkdsk /r on Windows 10.

It's been over 2.5 hours and it's stuck at 11%. I am going to sleep around 1:30 to 2AM. Is it safe to reboot if chkdsk is still running?

:)

leftisthominid, Sep 2, 2017

2. One of my drive is raw and this error "The parameter is incorrect" appears while opening the drive and ask to format it.

Chkdsk can do this. Just launch a Command Prompt (Admin), which you can find on a menu if you right-click the Start button. Then type chkdsk C: /R or replace C: with any other letter you want scanned. /R locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

For drive C: the scan will probably run during the next reboot.

If you type chkdsk /? you will see all of the options for chkdsk.

Don Cuthbert, Sep 2, 2017
  3. Restore points gone / boot time excessive

trouble. I requested chkdsk and rebooted. It got to 7% on check and repair, and got hung up. Hard drive was not making noise so I let it run while I did other things. Checked occasionally over an hour and still hung at 7%. Could not break the operation
    except by powering off. Reboot said hit anykey within 10 seconds to cancel chkdsk. I did. Reboot proceeded as it has been, about 15 minutes and I'm now back in. Here is Task Mgr during bootup
    Is rebooting during chkdsk safe? [​IMG]

ChuckNeuenschwander, Sep 2, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

Is rebooting during chkdsk safe?

It's relatively safe but it will just start again after you start computer again. Better leave it on until it finishes.

CountMike, Sep 2, 2017
Thema:

Is rebooting during chkdsk safe?

1. Is rebooting during chkdsk safe? - Similar Threads - rebooting during chkdsk

2. Is it safe to cancel chkdsk at stage 5 42%?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to cancel chkdsk at stage 5 42%?: Is it safe to cancel at this stage? Fixing c: 37% 85 million of 225 million; Total: 42%; ETA 1:35:24. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-cancel-chkdsk-at-stage-5-42/e3e15cdd-058d-4e71-a65f-8e7fdeed5cd7
  3. Is it safe to reboot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to reboot?: So recently I've been messing about on my laptop PC Acer Aspire 5741G, Windows 11 Pro build 22621, x64 and was thinking of installing Bliss OS on it as it's on it's last legs and I want to give it something easier to handle. I set a password for the BIOS a while ago and...
  4. Is it safe to reboot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to reboot?: So recently I've been messing about on my laptop PC Acer Aspire 5741G, Windows 11 Pro build 22621, x64 and was thinking of installing Bliss OS on it as it's on it's last legs and I want to give it something easier to handle. I set a password for the BIOS a while ago and...
  5. Is it safe to interrupt CHKDSK?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to interrupt CHKDSK?: Hi,I decided to check both my external HDDs before going to bed last night. Now, after 8+ hours, there is still no progress and both drives are very hot 45°C and 46°C.Is it safe to interrupt the process at this stage?...
  6. Is it safe to interrupt CHKDSK?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to interrupt CHKDSK?: Hi,I decided to check both my external HDDs before going to bed last night. Now, after 8+ hours, there is still no progress and both drives are very hot 45°C and 46°C.Is it safe to interrupt the process at this stage?...
  7. Safe to use chkdsk on MicroSD card?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Safe to use chkdsk on MicroSD card?: Hi! While making a complete "from scratch" backup of my expensive 400 GB Micro SD card, I just received an error for two files: --------------------------- Synchredible: synchredible.exe - Corrupt File --------------------------- The file or directory [full file path here]...
  8. Chkdsk not completing on reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Chkdsk not completing on reboot: Over the last several months, all three of my computers have failed to properly complete a chkdsk c: /f command on the reboot. The process is to open command prompt as an administrator, type chkdsk c: /f and then y for it to run the next time the computer is booted. After a...
  9. chkdsk c: \r stalls on reboot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    chkdsk c: \r stalls on reboot: HP HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-pOXX Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1703 (build 15063.483) I encountered strange behavior in a couple of programs and thought it might be time for a repair. So I issued chkdsk c: \r which makes an automatic reboot. The reboot went ok and the...
  10. Safe Mode Reboot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Safe Mode Reboot: Hi Jim here from Elliot Lake Ontario.... 6 hr north of Toronto and 2 hours east of the Soo, Mich Been retired here in the north for 20 years after a career with Bell Canada... in a variety of installation/repair/central office then sales marketing and consulting to outside...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is it safe to reboot in the middle of a chkdsk