Windows 10: Is someone taking screen shots of my computer?

Discus and support Is someone taking screen shots of my computer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; O.K. I am a bit scared. I am still on AOL. Lately I have been on a webpage and I notice a clear square shaped box with a black frame on it. It flashes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by purplelover, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Is someone taking screen shots of my computer?

O.K. I am a bit scared. I am still on AOL. Lately I have been on a webpage and I notice a clear square shaped box with a black frame on it. It flashes like a picture being taken. Is this even possible?

I have run CCleaner, Windows Defender, Trial version of Maleware Bytes (any chance of getting a real copy). They all say there are no virus' everything is fine.

What can I do? to get of this creep? I doubt AOL could help me
    Thanks so much for any advice.
    Eileen

:)

purplelover, Apr 8, 2017

2. Windows Is taking automatic screen shots without my prompting it to...

Hi, thank you for your replay

Malware or virus was my initial concern but a few scans with Windows Defender came up with nothing. Do you suggest any other methods of detecting malware? This does seem like the most logical explanation.

Chris Dwan, Apr 8, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Windows Is taking automatic screen shots without my prompting it to...

You don't suppose your computer could have malware on it?

BulldogXX, Apr 8, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Is someone taking screen shots of my computer?

Hi there. Not possible through the screen, but possible through your laptops camera. Do you use your camera at all?

Tony K, Apr 8, 2017
  5. HippsieGypsie

Have never used it. Could I have pushed a wrong button for the camera or something that could be fixed????

purplelover, Apr 8, 2017
  6. derekimo Win User
    Interesting, what webpage is that.

The trial is real its just a trial of the premium features, it will revert to the basic version,

Is someone taking screen shots of my  computer? [​IMG]

derekimo, Apr 8, 2017
  7. it used to do the heuristics but doesn't anymore. What is a Heuristic???

purplelover, Apr 8, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

It's possible, but I doubt it. You can disable the camera by pushing Windows Key + X simultaneously > Choose Device Manager > Look for your camera > Right click it > Choose disable.

Some even place tape over the camera lense.

Tony K, Apr 8, 2017
  9. O.K. Not only is it flashing online it is doing it offline as well. I was buying something online and it flashed. Now what...do I close my account?? I just read Windows 10 is spying on us.... No one else has had this problem????? It is really freaking me out.

purplelover, Apr 11, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    Hi there. Is this happening on one site or more? Which one/ones? Please don't be specific. Just say the type > bank, store, etc.

Tony K, Apr 11, 2017
  11. I notice it most on AOL as that's where I do most things. I don't like it but it has email and easy to use. I was on Ebay making a $5 purchase on my credit card. When I was on the paypal page buying it the black lined square flashed,it has also happend on Facebook, and offline in PrintMAster. Thanks!!!

12. Tony K Win User
    Hmm. In all my years I've never heard of this. I posted on another thread to see if others have too. Hopefully someone will answer. In the mean time, did you install and run Malwarbytes as derekimo suggested earlier in his post?

Tony K, Apr 11, 2017
  13. Is someone taking screen shots of my computer?

A special kind of Trojan. You have been hacked. Hard as anything to remove, let alone identify source. The repair is to clean install OS after wiping your main drive ( the OS drive) and reformatting before the install. Or tape over the camera if it a laptop or disable the camera driver, or if it is a PC disconnect webcam. No camera no picture. Malwarebytes pro, Norton Power Eraser, Sophos rootkit scanner can all identify this kind of hack but is a rootkit product and usually will not be removed even when it shows removed. It will become active again upon start up. This my opinion and based on the fact that yes you can hack a camera and its software program if the camera is live during say a facebook session or chat or what ever when you are on the web. Always try to go to trusted websites only and downloading anything from anywhere on the web is a crap shoot. As always backup your valuable data files first before all else. Do not re install the current programs on your computer, you will have to install clean copies of all your current programs.

Just for your information read this article: Can people really spy on me through my laptop's or smartphone's camera?

lopedoggie, Apr 11, 2017
  14. I have the free one trial. It says everything is fine. As do Windows defender. Do I need to cancel my credit card as it flashed several times when I was ordering?

Is it possible Microsoft outlook is doing this???I have been having trouble with it. I can't mail files or pics online without it wanting to set it up, i don't want it.

I so appreciate your help!!!

Thanks again for helping.

Eileen
    \

15. Lopedoggie

Oh No!!!!! This is a new computer. Mostly I have graphics and pics that I craft with. Could they be hacked too? I can reload my PrintMAster. It has been acting up too. I don't play any games online. Is there a chance the tape, already installed, will work?

I can't imagine reinstalling everything. Plus I don't know how.

I will read what you suggested.

Do I need to cancel my credit card???

Thanks so much for info....Can this Trojan get into my credit info or do damage to my programs????

What is wrong with people???
    Eileen

Thema:

1. Is someone taking screen shots of my computer? - Similar Threads - someone taking screen

2. screen shots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    screen shots: My windows 10 takes a screen shot every day at the same time 8 AM. I cannot find where it is saved or why this is happening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-shots/dd1da34a-6c03-41ba-bb68-a927838c49c8
  3. screen shots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    screen shots: My windows 10 takes a screen shot every day at the same time 8 AM. I cannot find where it is saved or why this is happening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-shots/dd1da34a-6c03-41ba-bb68-a927838c49c8
  4. How do I take a screen shot?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I take a screen shot?: I have Windows 10 and need to make a screen shot. When I hit PrtScr, nothing happens. When I hit Fn+Windows key+space bar, nothing happens. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-take-a-screen-shot/e5beb4ff-b765-428c-9c72-7eb5d22ba01c
  5. How do I take a screen shot?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I take a screen shot?: How do I take a screen shot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-take-a-screen-shot/4bb79bd6-c1b6-4384-ad73-5ca5d6909561
  6. Windows 10 suddenly stopped taking Screen Shots

Windows 10 suddenly stopped taking Screen Shots: Looks like this was asking in Jan 2018 but no solution posted- Windows 10 suddenly stopped taking screenshots. I have a brand new Lenovo Ideapad s340 (owned for <6mo). Tonight I took a screenshot via a command in a virtual lab I am working in; this function has worked fine...
  7. Taking a screen shot in information in Setting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Taking a screen shot in information in Setting: I'm trying to take a screen shot in Settings-About. I'm not doing something right. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taking-a-screen-shot-in-information-in-setting/502d120c-15aa-407c-b056-dbee373e17b0
  8. How do you take a screen shot?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do you take a screen shot?: Hello, How do I screen shot and then add it to a document as an attachment? I haven't done it for years and for the life of me I can't remember how to! Thank you in advance, any help will be greatly appreciated....
  9. Screen shot takes too long to open

Screen shot takes too long to open: I had contacted your support through chat,and the agent Wasim,was trying to figure out the problems,when he put my laptop on re-start mode,and we lost each other mid way.Neither was any attempt made from him to either call or email me.Now, this is a new laptop,and am very...
  10. Help with Taking a Screen Shot

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with Taking a Screen Shot: I've been trying for months now to take a screen shot on my laptop (Toshiba), but cannot figure out how to do it. I want to take the screenshot and then add it to my pictures. How do I do this. My old laptop was easy; just click on the screenshot button, bring up the app to...