Windows 10: Is Superfetch really safe to stop?

Discus and support Is Superfetch really safe to stop? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; In Task Manager, there's a task called ServiceHost Superfetch that takes up a lot of resources and caused the disk to run at 100%. I've googled this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Delly10, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Delly10 Win User

Is Superfetch really safe to stop?

In Task Manager, there's a task called ServiceHost Superfetch that takes up a lot of resources and caused the disk to run at 100%. I've googled this and found other people have had this problem. When they asked about ending that task, it's usually said to be safe, and those who have done so say it speeds up their computer in a major way. However, when I looked up what it is and what it does, it sounds like it does quite a bit, hence the reason for taking up so much resource power from the computer. This makes me wonder if ending it does any harm. If all the many things it does is so resource intensive, aren't any of those things actually important enough to be done?

BTW, when I attempted to end that task, I got a stern warning that it could cause problems if I end it, and even said I would have to restart my computer. Sounds pretty integral to the operation of things.

:)

Delly10, Jan 24, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Superfetch

Hi Antoniojulio1,

Yes it is safe to disable Superfetch, it will not affect the running of your system

Click your Start Button, type services and hit Enter

In the Services app, scroll down to find Superfetch

Double click the Superfetch Service

If it is started, click Stop

Then set its Startup type to Disabled

Save and exit the Services app

That's It!

DaveM121, Jan 24, 2018
  3. Superfetch

How to disable superfetch? Is safe to do that? I have a system with flash drive. Thanks,

Antoniojulio1, Jan 24, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 24, 2018
  5. Mooly Win User
    Restarting is a common to many Windows operations. If you are curious just try disabling it. You can always restart it again. Nothings going to blow up *Smile

Mooly, Jan 24, 2018
  6. Mooly Win User
    Another thought might be for you to research why its using 100% of the resources. I just checked mine and its virtually off the scale at the low end.

Is Superfetch really safe to stop? [​IMG]

Mooly, Jan 24, 2018
  7. Delly10 Win User
    Thank you! I think I'll try the first method in the tutorial since it seems simpler. It doesn't sound like I should experience any problems. My biggest worry is that I'd crash the computer and wouldn't be able to re-enable Superfetch, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. Using this method is similar to how I've heard how to disable a bunch of other services as well. I looked up which ones can be safely stopped/disabled and found this:

What do you think? Safe to go ahead with it?

Delly10, Jan 24, 2018
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I wouldn't recommend to disable a bunch of other services without knowing exactly what they affect. That could indeed cripple Windows.

The link you posted got blocked by Malwarebytes, so I'm not sure how trusted that site is.

Is Superfetch really safe to stop? [​IMG]

Brink, Jan 24, 2018
  9. Delly10 Win User
    Whoa! Sorry about that! I'm using a public computer which doesn't have Mbam on it. Maybe that warning would have come up for me otherwise. That makes me wonder about the advice on that site. I googled for something similar and am not finding a list of services that can be disabled in the same way. But for the list provided by the site that got blocked, here's what I was able to copy/paste from it so you can see the list of services it was making reference to:

Disable a Service in Win 10

• Open the Start menu.
    • Type Services and open the app that comes up in the search.
    • A new Window will open and will have all the services that you can tweak.
    • Double-click a service you want to disable.
    • From Startup Type: choose Disabled.
    • Click OK.
    If you want to play even more safe and looking for extreme speed boost in Windows 10, consider using the RegInOut System Utilities and it’s Services Optimizer feature. RegInOut’s extreme-gaming profile feature is quite useful to quickly optimize your Windows 10.
    Now let’s take a look at which services you can manually disable safely.

• Xbox Live Game Save: This service is responsible for syncing any saved data for games that have Xbox Live save enabled.
    • Xbox Live Auth Manager: This service provides the authentication and authorization services to communicate with Xbox Live.
    • AllJoyn Router Service: This service is used for routing the AllJoyn messages for AllJoyn clients.
    • Bluetooth Support Service: This service is in charge of discovering and working withBluetooth devices. Turning it off is safe if your computer doesn’t have a Bluetooth module.
    • Geolocation Service: This service is responsible for monitoring the current location of your system.
    • Phone Service: This service manages the telephony state on the computer.
    • Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service: This service handles touch keyboard and handwriting panel pen and ink functionality.
    • Windows Biometric Service: This service is responsible for capturing and storing biometric data without gaining access to the biometric hardware.
    • Windows Mobile Hotspot Service: This service enables a user to share cellular data with other devices.
    • Adobe Acrobat Update Service: This service manages the updates of all Adobe Acrobat applications.
    • Downloaded Maps Manager: This service allows different installed applications to have access to the downloaded maps.
    • Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service: This service collects real time ETW events from Internet Explorer and processes them.
    • Print Spooler: This service handles the interaction between the printer and the computer. Disabling it will disable the ability to print.
    • Skype Updater: This service helps download and install the latest Skype updates.
    • Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service: This service lets the user share Windows Media Player libraries to other networked players or music devices.
    • Windows Update: This service is used for detecting, downloading and installing latest Windows updates.
    • Auto Time Zone Update: This service works in order to update the time zone automatically.
    • Bluetooth Handsfree Service: This service handles the computer’s connection with Bluetooth headsets.
    • Enterprise App Management Service: This service is responsible for managing various enterprise apps.
    • Hyper-V Heartbeat Service: This service is used for monitoring the state of a virtual machine by sending heartbeats at regular intervals.

Do these services look like they're all safe to disable? I already disable some of these manually each time after I restart my computer and it hasn't caused any problems. I was hoping the same might be true for the rest of these, and could disable them permanently.

Delly10, Jan 24, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    No worries. You didn't know about that site.

I wouldn't recommend to just disable services like that though.

There's quite a few services in that list that will break things if disable. For example: Windows Update. Most will not run anyways unless needed.

What determines what is safe depends on what is used or not, and what is needed by Windows. It varies too much from system to system.

Brink, Jan 24, 2018
  11. Delly10 Win User
    Yeah, I was wondering about things like Windows Update as well. I figured maybe disabling it would only disable it until the user clicked on Update in the Settings or something. Other things, like Print Spooler, is one I disable already since I don't have a printer. I don't have an Xbox either, so all those seem irrelevant to my computer. It's the ones that I don't know what they do that worry me. That's the reason I started the thread with the question about Superfetch, which seems to be the biggest offender of them all.

Delly10, Jan 24, 2018
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    If you're using an SSD, Superfetch is perfectly safe to disable. Adds virtually no added benefit speed wise, and contributes to wear and tear on the SSD.

f14tomcat, Jan 24, 2018
  13. Delly10 Win User

I don't have an SSD drive. I just have a standard hard drive. Is it still safe (or beneficial) to disable?

Delly10, Jan 24, 2018
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    Yes, but in your case any benefit would outweigh one service not running. Pre-fetch and Superfetch were designed with hard drive head seeking and transfer rates in mind. Keep in mind, you will not see any immediate gain having any fetch service running. They learn to cache your frequent activity over time. If your drive is highly fragmented, it will only add to the overhead. It's a case-by-case basis most of the time.

*Arrow More info: What Is SuperFetch and Do You Need It on Windows 10?

f14tomcat, Jan 24, 2018
  15. Delly10 Win User
    Thank you! Well, I guess it really is a case-by-case basis as to whether or not it will be beneficial, but it sounds like disabling it is safe enough to at least try out. I'm not a gamer, which is what the article seems to indicate would be the biggest beneficiary of disabling SF. We'll see if it affects other things as well.

Delly10, Jan 24, 2018
Thema:

1. Is Superfetch really safe to stop? - Similar Threads - Superfetch really safe

2. Is Tiny11 really safe?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Tiny11 really safe?: I've Heard about Tiny11, but I'm confused about if it safe or not because some people say it safe while others say it's dangerous. Also, is there a way to check if a custom windows is safe or not is there some sort of scanner or program that can check it? Also, I'm planning...
  3. Is Tiny11 really safe?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Tiny11 really safe?: I've Heard about Tiny11, but I'm confused about if it safe or not because some people say it safe while others say it's dangerous. Also, is there a way to check if a custom windows is safe or not is there some sort of scanner or program that can check it? Also, I'm planning...
  4. Is DriverPack Solutions really safe to use?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is DriverPack Solutions really safe to use?: I once attended a seminar and the speaker said we should download Driverpack Solutions to our pc/laptop. Moreover, he said that it is clearly safe to install and we should not worry but when I tried to download it, Microsoft notified me that it was a threat so it took an...
  5. Prefetch / superfetch / hibernation - Safe for SSDs?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prefetch / superfetch / hibernation - Safe for SSDs?: I've heard mixed things from multiple websites whether it's a bad thing or not, so I thought I'd just ask here. I'm wondering if it's completely safe to have it enabled. It was enabled by default I disabled it, and I thought it was extremely bad for the lifespan of them,...
  6. Is uTorrent really safe?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is uTorrent really safe?: I just downloaded uTorrent from their official website. After installation, the .exe file downloaded and installed 2 programs automatically and started them up. They were - Opera browser Avast free antivirus. After installation of the torrent browser it automatically...
  7. superfetch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    superfetch: why not have this service installed superfetch in services.msc windows 10 pro 1809 pc config: i3 6100 3.7ghz 8g DDR4 240Gb ssd Radeon r7 2gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch/7390f108-6c04-49eb-b91e-5ddb4d699f35
  8. Superfetch disable

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Superfetch disable: In Windows 10, v1809 Superfetch is no longer listed as a service. How can it be disabled - perhaps via the registry? Thanks. 124580
  9. Superfetch disable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Superfetch disable: In Windows 10, v1809 Superfetch is no longer listed as a service. How can it be disabled - perhaps via the registry? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch-disable/c69f1b35-3692-45a9-a34a-093f471b6ac3
  10. Superfetch on SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Superfetch on SSD: I bought a Samsung SSD, should I disable superfetch now ? 51436