Windows 10: Is Superfetch suppose to clean up after itself ?

Discus and support Is Superfetch suppose to clean up after itself ? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; After updating to FCU (1709) my startup time was slower and it appeared that Superfetch was the culprit. Superfetch was at 100% disk usage for a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Eagle51, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Eagle51 Win User

Is Superfetch suppose to clean up after itself ?

After updating to FCU (1709) my startup time was slower and it appeared that Superfetch was the culprit. Superfetch was at 100% disk usage for a few mins, before it would finally calm down. Obviously, setting it's startup to manual or disabled eliminates this, but I was curious, so I went poking around and found the following.

I took a look in the C:\Windows\Prefetch folder and noticed there were .pf files in there for programs and apps that I had uninstalled (before the update). So I deleted everything in the Prefetch folder (NOT the folder itself). After a couple of reboots my startup time was back to normal and Superfetch 100% disk usage would calm down much faster (less than a min).

:)

Eagle51, Nov 10, 2017

2. Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7

Thanks, Nachappa and Andre.

There is no third party anti-virus installed in my PC. The only anti-virus is MS Security Essentials (and I suppose Defender that comes with Win 7). I suppose these Microsoft products will not block an update from MS itself. Even if they do, they should
    block it at download stage itself, shouldn't they?

I have checked all drivers using Device Manager and they are all up-to-date.

I have tried upgrading to Win 10 after 'clean boot' too, but no luck with that too.

Regards,

Narayanan Moothiringode

NarayananMoothiringode, Nov 10, 2017
  3. Constant hard drive overuse by the system on windows 10 pro

Thanks a lot. disabling superfetch really increased performance. I recommend others to try this. I completely disabled superfetch in services.msc

AlirezaMohamadi, Nov 10, 2017
  4. LMiller7 Win User

.pf files are regular prefetch files and not related to superfetch. When their number reaches some number (not sure what that is) the older ones will be automatically deleted. But it shouldn't matter anyway. Prefetch files for uninstalled programs will not be referenced and cause no harm.

LMiller7, Nov 10, 2017
  5. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey LMiller7,
    I didn't think the two were related, until I manually cleaned up the \prefetch folder and it took superfetch 100% disk usage from a few mins to less than a min. Didn't seem like a coincidence, but maybe it was *Smile

Eagle51, Nov 10, 2017
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    From what I can find, the number of .pf files is 128, but I had 275 ... So, either MS changed the number or it wasn't cleaning up after itself.

Eagle51, Nov 10, 2017
  7. Superfetch only runs once after logging in

Some people say it takes 5 restarts to actually feel the improvements when Superfetch is enabled. I had Superfetch disabled in my laptop and everything is making it really hard for my hdd now I turned it on then did few restarts and I saw the significant difference

RoasterMen, Nov 10, 2017
  8. Geneo Win User

The prefetch files (.pf) are for preloading executables and drivers in a particular order for a faster boot time. If that is messed up it certainly could affect your boot time.

You probably have prefetch enabled and it was corrupt, or non-optimal, probably as a result of the update. There is a registry setting that determines what is enabled (prefetch, prefetch + superfetch, etc.), can't recall what it is - you can google it. If you have an SSD, prefetch probably isn't that useful, but I think superfetch still is. You might as well disable prefetch in the registry with an SSD OS drive.

Superfetch on the other hand, is for loading programs that you access frequently for faster access post login.

Geneo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is Superfetch suppose to clean up after itself ? - Similar Threads - Superfetch suppose clean

2. Getting tons of issues after what was supposed to be a clean reinstall of windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting tons of issues after what was supposed to be a clean reinstall of windows: I thought i'd reinstall windows because I was having some crashing problems with a particular game and i just made things worse. I ended up **** my drive I think and had to repair it with chkdsk commands, I thought all was good until I went to update Windows and got a BSOD...
  3. Getting tons of issues after what was supposed to be a clean reinstall of windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting tons of issues after what was supposed to be a clean reinstall of windows: I thought i'd reinstall windows because I was having some crashing problems with a particular game and i just made things worse. I ended up **** my drive I think and had to repair it with chkdsk commands, I thought all was good until I went to update Windows and got a BSOD...
  4. This happens after cleaning it and converting to gpt. I’m guessing I was supposed to do...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This happens after cleaning it and converting to gpt. I’m guessing I was supposed to do...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sexysenju [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jpkuzi/this_happens_after_cleaning_it_and_converting_to/
  5. Clean up files after Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean up files after Upgrade: Split from this thread. Can anyone help WhenI update windows 7 to windows 10 I encounter some problem so I came back to windows 10but there are some files which are from windows 10 what to do about that it is taking my disk space tell me, please...
  6. superfetch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    superfetch: why not have this service installed superfetch in services.msc windows 10 pro 1809 pc config: i3 6100 3.7ghz 8g DDR4 240Gb ssd Radeon r7 2gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch/7390f108-6c04-49eb-b91e-5ddb4d699f35
  7. Superfetch disable

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Superfetch disable: In Windows 10, v1809 Superfetch is no longer listed as a service. How can it be disabled - perhaps via the registry? Thanks. 124580
  8. Superfetch disable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Superfetch disable: In Windows 10, v1809 Superfetch is no longer listed as a service. How can it be disabled - perhaps via the registry? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch-disable/c69f1b35-3692-45a9-a34a-093f471b6ac3
  9. Is Superfetch really safe to stop?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is Superfetch really safe to stop?: In Task Manager, there's a task called ServiceHost Superfetch that takes up a lot of resources and caused the disk to run at 100%. I've googled this and found other people have had this problem. When they asked about ending that task, it's usually said to be safe, and those...
  10. Superfetch on SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Superfetch on SSD: I bought a Samsung SSD, should I disable superfetch now ? 51436