Windows 10: Is the a way to correct the control panel shortcut file path?

Discus and support Is the a way to correct the control panel shortcut file path? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just upgraded to an M.2 and I was trying to save space so after I installed all the drivers and updated windows I went into the registry and pointed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by teddysurf, Nov 14, 2017.

1. teddysurf Win User

Is the a way to correct the control panel shortcut file path?

I just upgraded to an M.2 and I was trying to save space so after I installed all the drivers and updated windows I went into the registry and pointed the instillation path to my D drive to install programs that don't give you the option to choose the install location like Chrome. I now cant open realtek audio from Control Panel because the shortcut file path thinks that the application is on the D drive. If the shortcut was on the desktop it would be an easy fix. Is there a way to change the the control panel shortcut file path?

Regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersionRight click on the value named ProgramFilesDir, ProgramFiles(x86)Dir change the default value C:\Program Files, C:\Program(x86) Files to D:\Program Files

:)

teddysurf, Nov 14, 2017

2. Is there a way to disable the shortcut (CTRL+WIN+N) to open Narrator settings?

James the only ways I can think of to stop CTRL + WIN + N is to either disable WIN as above or use a 3rd party hotkey program tool to change that shortcut key combination. There may ne a registry setting, however, I don't know it - never even seen a question
    about it.

Something like this one, however, I don't know if this one will do the key strokes you need.

http://download.cnet.com/Hotkey-Utility/3000-23...

Check in the Microsoft TechNet forums to see if someone there knows the registry settings for that combination.

TechNet - Windows 10 IT Pro - Forums

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/win...

SpiritX MS MVP, Nov 14, 2017
  3. SpiritX MS MVP, Nov 14, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Program Files must be on the C: drive, When you install a Program not a driver, you can choose to install it to another drive like the D: drive. But since the Windows registry is on the C: drive most programs and all drivers need to be installed on the C: drive.
    You can change the Default location of your User Files from C: to D: Create a file on the D: drive and call it User or whatever. Create a folder for each User folder (ie) D:\User\Documents , D:\User\Pictures etc Browse to C:\Users\[YourUserName] Right click each user folder (ie) Documents, Pictures etc, and choose Properties/Location tab. Click the Move button and browse it to your User folder on the D: drive, with the User folder of the same name.(ie) Documents to Documents, Pictures to Picutures etc . A message will appear asking if you want to move all of the files there? Click Yes then Apply. In the Target window should now show the D: drive path

spunk, Nov 14, 2017
  5. teddysurf Win User
    I dont want to put the user files on my D drive, I did that with my last ssd and it caused more problems then it was worth. The problem is that when you change the registry to point to D the shortcut file path gets changed to D, which if its on the desktop is easy to correct. However the shortcuts in control panel are not as straight forward to correct the file path.

teddysurf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is the a way to correct the control panel shortcut file path? - Similar Threads - correct control panel

2. Make file shortcut but NOT change the path

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Make file shortcut but NOT change the path: I want to print files for work but I'm wanting to put a shortcut on my desktop. When I do this and print it shows a different path than the original file (obviously) But can I make this shortcut in a way it pulls from the original path. And actually prints and shows the...
  3. Control Panel Shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Control Panel Shortcut: Hi, How can I create a shortcut of Control Panel - Network and Internet - Network Connection? Thanks 182261
  4. Correct Download Folders File path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Correct Download Folders File path: My default download folder was Downloads in C: Drive I moved location to my Partioned I: drive for more space. I did not name it correctly and it appears in File explorerI[ATTACH]...
  5. How can I make a specific shortcut for a control panel path?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I make a specific shortcut for a control panel path?: I know you can right click desktop > new > shortcut > "ms-settings:security" But I want it to take me to the control panel, specifically to this path: "Control Panel\System and Security\Security and Maintenance" Is this possible? Thanks! submitted by /u/thedreamlan6...
  6. Administrative Tools - Control Panel Path

in Windows 10 Support
    Administrative Tools - Control Panel Path: Greetings, I'm having a relatively minor (but annoying) paths issue, after having organized my Start Menu folders. Firstly, Windows reminded me that it's now a mobile OS, only pretending to be a desktop OS (subfolders don't display). *Rolleyes - If someone has a way to...
  7. Shortcut to sound control panel changed?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcut to sound control panel changed?: Whenever i need to go to the sound control panel I can just right click the speaker icon on my taskbar and click "Open Sound". Now when i click it it just direct me to the sound setting. Is there a way to change it back to it opening the sound control panel instead of the...
  8. Control Panel Shortcut Key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Control Panel Shortcut Key: Is there a shortcut key to Control Panel? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-shortcut-key/f3288db2-f2c7-4f30-aee8-f001eb6258c1
  9. All Control Panel Items shortcut appears on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    All Control Panel Items shortcut appears on desktop: i get this "All Control Panel Items" shortcut appear on my desktop sometimes.. any solution to this other than pressing F5 to clear it?! my system: Windows 10 Pro x64 v1703 build 15063.675 97309
  10. Create Control Panel Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Control Panel Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Control Panel Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Control Panel Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, there are a few different ways to find and change your settings: app settings, and search. You can use Control Panel to change...