Windows 10: Is the free upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro discontinued?

Discus and support Is the free upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro discontinued? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A while back I upgraded from Home to Pro via a selection on the Update (or thereabouts) screen on my wife's PC. If I sign in to her MS account, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rzn6jw, Dec 14, 2017.

1. rzn6jw Win User

Is the free upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro discontinued?

A while back I upgraded from Home to Pro via a selection on the Update (or thereabouts) screen on my wife's PC. If I sign in to her MS account, the details on her screen show Pro installed. However, if I check her System screen on the PC it shows Home as being installed.

I would like to update her to Pro. Has the free upgrade been discontinued?

:)

rzn6jw, Dec 14, 2017

2. Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro

I saw absolutely no mention of a price in this answer - only a copy & paste of what the Winodws 10 specs are!

Is it cheaper to:

A) Start with Win 8.1 Home, buy the Win 8.1 Pro Upgrade, and then free upgrade to Win 10 Pro.

OR

B) Start with Win 8.1 Home, free upgrade to Win 10 Home, and then buy Win 10 Pro upgrade.

AussieBigfoot, Dec 14, 2017
  3. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade. What about Windows 8 !!!.

I am getting confused reading on different web sites who is eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade at the end of July, 2015 when Microsoft releases it.

Back on 10/26/2012, I purchased from Microsoft the promotional WINDOWS 8 Pro they were offering for $39,99.

Whit this Win. 8 Pro purchase, I was able to update my Win.7 Home Premium to Win. 8 Pro.

I just finished getting my computer prepared and ready for this Win. 10 free upgrade release.

By: 1) Installing my Win. 7 Home Premium.

2) Upgrading my Win. 7 Home Premium with the $39.99 Win. 8 Pro Upgrade that I purchased from Microsoft.

This I think would qualify me for the free Win. 10 Pro upgrade.

Or do I have to get from the store the free Update to windows 8.1 Pro.

But then again I am not certain.

SomeHope_1, Dec 14, 2017
  4. Word Man Win User

Never was one from Home to Pro. If she had a Pro or Ultimate version before 10, that would have gotten free upgrade direct to 10 Pro.

Word Man, Dec 14, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    There were free upgrades from windows 7 and 8 to 10.
    Not aware ever of free upgrade from home to pro.

zbook, Dec 14, 2017
  6. rzn6jw Win User
    OK, if I select on her PC, Control Panel/System, it shows Win 10 Home. If I go to her MS account and select devices, it shows Pro (see attached). So where's the discrepancy coming from? But, if I want to upgrade her from Home to Pro using Media Creator to create at Win 10 Pro 64bit .iso, that should work, since she has a digital license, right?
    Is the free upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro discontinued? [​IMG]

rzn6jw, Dec 14, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste: slmgr /dlv
    post the image into the thread using a one drive or drop box share link.

zbook, Dec 14, 2017
  8. rzn6jw Win User

Not familiar with one drive or drop box. How do I go about this?

rzn6jw, Dec 14, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
  10. dmholt57 Win User
    You can just do a screen capture and post using the image icon like you did the first one... *Wink

dmholt57, Dec 14, 2017
  11. rzn6jw Win User
    Here it is:

rzn6jw, Dec 14, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    The MS account shows any OS you installed on a given pc if you used an MS account. That does not mean the installation is activated or not.

cereberus, Dec 15, 2017
  13. Is the free upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro discontinued?

HI,
    Not sure what core means
    You showed where it says 10 pro but not a screen shot of where it says home version.

An upgrade from home to pro is discounted pretty much in half
    Pro is 200.us +.. so an upgrade from 10 home is approximately 100.us + might be 120.us if I remember correctly I did actually do an upgrade at the MS store.

ThrashZone, Dec 15, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    It means Home.

15. rzn6jw Win User
    Sorry about the delay. Here's a screen of Control Panel/System:

rzn6jw, Dec 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Is the free upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro discontinued? - Similar Threads - free upgrade Home

2. Upgraded to Pro from Home for free?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded to Pro from Home for free?: Hi, I was recently curious about upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro, so I checked via the Microsoft Store. There was a button that said "Upgrade now" or something, which I clicked, and after an update procedure/restart, it now appears that my edition of Windows 10 has been...
  3. Upgraded to Pro from Home for free?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgraded to Pro from Home for free?: Hi, I was recently curious about upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro, so I checked via the Microsoft Store. There was a button that said "Upgrade now" or something, which I clicked, and after an update procedure/restart, it now appears that my edition of Windows 10 has been...
  4. Upgraded to Pro from Home for free?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I bought an upgrade from win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro in July 2020. The PC that was on has now given up the ghost and I have bought a new PC, but it came with Win 10 Home. I am trying to upgrade the new PC to Win 10 Pro, but the process goes just so far and then I get a message...
  6. Upgrade from Win 10 Home to PRO

Upgrade from Win 10 Home to PRO: I have purchased an upgrade from Win 10 Home to PRO from Microsoft. When I click on install on the upgraed site I get a message " something happend and we couldn't start the upgrade" No error code or any other info. I turned off anti-virous and fire wall. I don't have key...
  7. Upgrading from win 10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from win 10 home to pro: So, I used the windows installation media to copy a licensed win 10 home to my newly built pc. Now, I'm considering upgrading to Pro but have a few questions. Since my current windows is a Home install but isn't activated, can I simply upgrade using a Win 10 Pro key and...
  8. upgrade from Win 10 home to Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrade from Win 10 home to Pro: I needed a product key to activate win 10 so I purchased Home. product key would not activate. Then I noticed I needed the Pro product key. How can I upgrade to the Pro purchase key? I just purchased the Win 10 home from Microsoft store a few hours ago and it was completely...
  9. upgrade from win 10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrade from win 10 home to pro: Hi. I deactivated old laptop with Win 10 Pro and used that activation key for my new laptop with Win 10 Home installed. Activation key is fine (no errors reported) but, new PC still shows as Win 10 Home installed. any ideas why? Thank you...
  10. Upgrading from Win 10 Home -> Pro

Upgrading from Win 10 Home -> Pro: I purchased a machine with Windows 10 Home pre-installed. I purchased a Win 10 Pro OEM licence from Directdeals.com as I had done successfully before, now when I try and enter the new product key I get an error message: "The product key you entered didn't work. …...