Windows 10: Is the "This PC" virtual folder a subset of OS (C:)?

Discus and support Is the "This PC" virtual folder a subset of OS (C:)? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I make changes in the This PC/Documents folder, the changes don't show up in This PC/OS(C*Smileuser/username/documents. I'm confused. I thought... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BobWestSeattle, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Is the "This PC" virtual folder a subset of OS (C:)?

When I make changes in the This PC/Documents folder, the changes don't show up in This PC/OS(C*Smileuser/username/documents. I'm confused. I thought files in C: were real, and that This PC was just a convenient organizational scheme. I must have messed up the directory structure moving data over from my old computer. I really don't need help finding things. Is there a way to remove all the help Windows 10 is offering and just us real locations?

:)

BobWestSeattle, Dec 25, 2016

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Dec 25, 2016
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Dec 25, 2016
  4. Is the "This PC" virtual folder a subset of OS (C:)?

Not really sure what your asking, but if you right click on "This PC" and select properties, it takes you to the "System" panel of "Control Panel". If you select "Documents" and right click and select properties, it shows you where its at "C:\users\{your userid}". With that, "This PC" does not point to "C:". As far as not appearing in your userid sub-directories, make sure they are displayed in the same sequence. I've noticed that displaying "Documents" under "This Pc" is sorted by date, while the "Documents" folder under my user id is sorted by name.

storageman, Dec 26, 2016
  5. This has been very helpful. Thanks. My folders under "This PC" are on One Drive as I discovered, so that's why I don't see them on the C: drive. And that's why you say that "This PC" doesn't point to C:. Seems I must have something fundamentally set up wrong though. Wouldn't it make more sense to have One Drive mirror the local drive?

BobWestSeattle, Dec 26, 2016
  6. Fixer Win User
    The order in which files and folders are displayed depends on which column heading you click on, and if you click a heading a second time the order within that column will be reversed.

Fixer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Is the "This PC" virtual folder a subset of OS (C:)?

1. Is the "This PC" virtual folder a subset of OS (C:)? - Similar Threads - virtual folder subset

2. What is the folder C:\OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the folder C:\OS?: Windows 11 Pro.The Drive/Partition label is OS C: but I also have a folder named C:\OS.It seems to have subfolders with the same names as folders directly under C:.What is this folder, how did it get there and do I need to keep it? All the files under C:\OS seem to be...
  3. What is the folder C:\OS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the folder C:\OS?: Windows 11 Pro.The Drive/Partition label is OS C: but I also have a folder named C:\OS.It seems to have subfolders with the same names as folders directly under C:.What is this folder, how did it get there and do I need to keep it? All the files under C:\OS seem to be...
  4. OS C: Vs This computer folder

OS C: Vs This computer folder: Hi - I've recently updated my PC and have a couple of questions about where files are stored. I want to make sure I have a local copy of files which are accessible even when I don't have internet access. 1 is OS C: local the same as a C drive? 2 the local "copy" of my files...
  5. OS C: Vs This computer folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OS C: Vs This computer folder: Hi - I've recently updated my PC and have a couple of questions about where files are stored. I want to make sure I have a local copy of files which are accessible even when I don't have internet access. 1 is OS C: local the same as a C drive? 2 the local "copy" of my files...
  6. Windows 10 folder always goes to OS C:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 folder always goes to OS C:: Hi Everyone.This is driving me crazy. Everytime I do anything in File Explorer I'm using Windows 10, the left-hand viewing pane highlights OS C:. All the way down at the bottom. So I constantly have to scroll up to get to Quick access or any of the folders that I've pinned to...
  7. Windows 10 folder always goes to OS C:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 folder always goes to OS C:: Hi Everyone.This is driving me crazy. Everytime I do anything in File Explorer I'm using Windows 10, the left-hand viewing pane highlights OS C:. All the way down at the bottom. So I constantly have to scroll up to get to Quick access or any of the folders that I've pinned to...
  8. Windows 10 folder always goes to OS C:

9. Virtual Machine with same harddisk and OS

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Machine with same harddisk and OS: I need to run a macro that has to be played for 350 times and each macro takes around 4 mins to complete. The macros are fully independent that requires no supervision. So I am planning to make a virtual machine so that I can split the time in half. The macro requires Chrome,...
  10. Virtualized folder remains

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtualized folder remains: How do I remove my old Win 7 Users directory? Like: D:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\shellext Win 7 is already gone (I'm basically just cleaning out my old disk). MS is very aggressively...