Windows 10: Is the "Upgrade" a good thing to get?

Discus and support Is the "Upgrade" a good thing to get? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an icon on my homescreen that's called "Windows Update assistant". When I clicked it in the past, it would tell me that my Windows Updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Delly10, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Delly10 Win User

Is the "Upgrade" a good thing to get?

I have an icon on my homescreen that's called "Windows Update assistant". When I clicked it in the past, it would tell me that my Windows Updates needed to be current in order to work, so I made sure to do that. Now, I clicked it and it mentioned something about a Win10 "Upgrade". Then it showed the percentage of progress. I had to log off when it got to 76%, but for some reason, when I turned the computer back on later, it showed that it was ready to install, and gave me a 30 minute countdown for when that would occur. It also indicated that the process would take about 90 minutes.

Now the question is whether or not I should go through with it. It sounds like something major. It reminds me of when I had a Win7 computer and was invited to upgrade to Win10. When I did that, I was changing to a completely new operating system. It took about the same amount of time, too. It just seems like something I should ask about before going ahead with it.

Is this upgrade safe? Has it caused problems for others who have used it? Is the upgrade something that is loaded up with useless new features that most people are just going to disable anyway? That's what I ended up doing with most of the stuff Win10 had in the first place. Those extra features just slowed down the computer.

Finally, is this upgrade optional? Or would not getting it cause me problems in the future, such as with updates?

:)

Delly10, Nov 11, 2017

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Nov 11, 2017
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Nov 11, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

The Windows Update Assistant will upgrade you to the latest version of Windows 10, currently the Fall Creators Update (version 1709) which was released on 17th October. A new version of Windows 10 will be release every six months form now on.

Yes, it is installing a completely new operating system, but unlike the major culture shock of upgrading from 7 to 8 (or 10) these frequent upgrades are more of a gradual evolution of new features - this is what Microsoft mean by 'Windows as a Service'.

What version of windows 10 do you have at the moment? Is it 1703 (Creators Update)? Run Winer to find out. 1709 looks little different from 1703, there's little you'll find that's different from what you had before. More of the settings have now moved from the Control Panel to the Settings app, and there are a few new apps (but you don't have to use them).

5. Delly10 Win User
    Does it really make that much of a difference every 6 months? It sure seems like a big thing to do in addition to the regular updates that come out each month.

I don't know what version I currently have. I'm not using that computer at the moment, so I can't find out right now. But I've had that computer for about a year now, and this is the first time I've been invited to upgrade.

Do you think it's really necessary to spend an hour and a half to do this upgrade? Everything seems to be working fine at this point. I just hate doing something as major as doing an operating system replacement if it's not necessary. It's like trying to fix something that's not broken, only to risk end up breaking it.

Delly10, Nov 11, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    That is the way MS works now, as new versions are released the older ones reach end of support. The first two versions, the original release (1507, build 10240) and the Fall Update (version 1511) are now unsupported and get no more security updates.

If you want to remain up to date on security fixes you have to move up to the next version. Each version has a supported life of about 18 months.

7. Delly10 Win User
    I guess that would explain why I haven't been receiving many updates when I go online. I don't go online much with my laptop (the computer of this subject). It's a laptop that I keep at home and I don't have internet of my own to use there, although sometimes I can access Wi-fi from a neighbor nearby. Otherwise, I take it to the library every 3 or 4 months and let it do the updates.

To me, it seems like they're overcomplicating things. They used to come out with entirely new OS systems like Win7 or Win8, and then simply put out updates for at least 10 years. Now we have to upgrade the entire OS every 6 months, and they become unsupported after a year and a half. Maybe for most people, these updates are mostly automatic, but they slow things down and cause the computer to have to shut down and restart, which is not always convenient. Having to wait 90 minutes for the upgrade process each time isn't either.

Delly10, Nov 12, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

Look at it this way, would you rather have an OS that has 1 million updates on it that you would eventually have to clean install anyway because it starts running crappy ?

Or the same OS that basically gets an overhaul every 6 months which you can update at your leisure ?

Microsoft doesn't want to create a new OS *Sad

AddRAM, Nov 12, 2017
  9. Delly10 Win User
    I don't know. I just hate having to "overhaul", update, and so forth every time I turn my computer on and connect to the internet. It seems like about 10 minutes into a session, I get pop-ups telling me that I have to shut my computer down and wait while something updates. Usually, it's something like Avast that does it. When the OS downloads an update, the same thing happens. Now the OS wants to do a complete overhaul which not only requires a shutdown and restart, but then 90 minutes of not being able to use it. It's part of the reason I don't go online with it most of the time. Too many pop-ups telling me that one of my programs is outdated (even after I just updated it) and that I need to restart my computer.

That's understandable. But it seems that every other incarnation has been bad. Windows XP good, Windows Vista bad, Win7 good, Win8 bad, Win10 good. They're due to make a bad one now. Best thing is to stop at this point. Of course, that doesn't mean each upgrade of Win10 will be good. Let's hope the curse has been broken.

Delly10, Nov 12, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    The Achilles heel of Win 7 was checking for updates. It was not uncommon for Win7 to literally take hours to check for updates. The reason being that after years of security patches there were so many (and so many interdependencies) that the process of working out which of the many available patches was applicable to a particular PC was a non-trivial task.

What Win7 needed (but never got) was an SP2. Service packs were effectively an upgraded system that set a new baseline, incorporated all previous updates, adding a few new features and let 'check for updates' work from a much more recent starting point.

The 'Service Pack' concept is now obsolete, but it may help to think of these Windows 10 features updates as regular 'service packs'.

11. PromU Win User
    For me, FCU is the best iteration of Windows 10 to date. It's leagues ahead of CU on my system and reminds me of the fluency and solidity of Win7

PromU, Nov 12, 2017
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

As the OS becomes more and more stable the upgrade process will become increasingly painless.

I hope in the future Windows takes more of an approach like Linux where you can do quite significant upgrades "in situ" i.e you can keep running the system and don't have to re-boot. Only if you get a brand new kernel do you need to re-boot and that's quite rare.

As hardware improves it makes sense for the OS to make use of new features -- one serious drawback of the non business versions of Windows has been that it doesn't do hypethreading or use several multi-processors (not multi-cores BTW) efficiently or at all.

This never used to matter for home consumers - but now high end hardware is becoming cheap enough fpr people to use at home this type of upgrade will become important - especially if running things like AI simulation or VR.
    For standard office type stuff - not an issue - with a modular design Windows will just install features depending on the hardware it finds.

So the answer to your question should be YES - upgrade is worth while and it actually doesn't take long either -- remember to do a backup BEFORE the upgrade and another one AFTER it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 12, 2017
  13. Is the "Upgrade" a good thing to get?

Different thought: In previous versions of Windows, service packs only update system files but retain system and user configuration, so once installed and configured OS can survive ten years or more without problems. Windows 10 releases deliberately change system behavior by changing many OS parameters, installing inappropriate and unstable device drivers, inconsiderately uninstalling needed programs and ruining user personal and privacy settings. There is no reason to force regular users to test betaversion of OS every six months but it is exactly what M$ does. So some users prefer to stay at old release as long as possible; they use wushowhide tool to block unneeded newer releases.

Some my remarks about "upgrade" v1511 -> v1709 can be found here:
    major windows updates always screw finely tuned system Solved - Windows 10 Forums

muchomurka, Nov 13, 2017
  14. AddRAM Win User
    Well, I have the Creator`s Update installed and I have it set to defer Feature Updates for 365 days. When I start up my PC the 1st thing I do is go in and update it manually, And even then it's just a Defender definition update which takes less than 20 seconds, so it's very strange that you keep having update issues.

Get your W10 fully updated and you won't have anymore issues. I don't, a lot of others don't, so neither should you *Smile

AddRAM, Nov 13, 2017
  15. Delly10 Win User
    It's rather ironic, because I just came back to this thread now that I just got down installing the upgrade, and I'm sorry to say that I'm now having plenty of issues already. My settings have been changed, and programs are missing that I now have to replace. One of them is Ccleaner. So I downloaded it again. Then I clicked on the set up tool and my computer completely froze up. I had to disconnect the power and start all over.

Also, Chrome isn't working the way it used to. I click on something, and then the computer pauses for awhile and then goes right back to where I was previously rather than take me to the destination I clicked on. Then I have to click it again and then sometimes it will work. Some of my default programs were also changed.

I didn't have these problems before "upgrading" and I'm already regretting doing so. I don't see advantages. All I have now are new problems to solve.

Delly10, Nov 18, 2017
Thema:

1. Is the "Upgrade" a good thing to get? - Similar Threads - Upgrade thing

2. new upgraded parts, CPU cores doing strange things that lead to lag and input delays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    new upgraded parts, CPU cores doing strange things that lead to lag and input delays: So i recently upgraded from i7-9700k, asus prime z390a and 32gb of ddr 4 3200 ram to a i7-13700k, msi z790s wifi, and 32 gbb of 5200 ddr5 ram. never had these issues on my old build.i mainly use it for gaming, playing tarkov on my main monitor while using my second monitor...
  3. new upgraded parts, CPU cores doing strange things that lead to lag and input delays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    new upgraded parts, CPU cores doing strange things that lead to lag and input delays: So i recently upgraded from i7-9700k, asus prime z390a and 32gb of ddr 4 3200 ram to a i7-13700k, msi z790s wifi, and 32 gbb of 5200 ddr5 ram. never had these issues on my old build.i mainly use it for gaming, playing tarkov on my main monitor while using my second monitor...
  4. Windows 10 upgrade stuck at "Getting a few things ready" one hour plus and task manager...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 upgrade stuck at "Getting a few things ready" one hour plus and task manager...: Windows 10 upgrade stuck at "Getting a few things ready" one hour plus and task manager showing 0% CPU usage, has the program stalled? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-upgrade-stuck-at-getting-a-few-things/27b61f76-ebce-4992-9e9f-ed3c930add94
  5. Windows 10 upgrade stuck at "Getting a few things ready" one hour plus and task manager...

Windows 10 upgrade stuck at "Getting a few things ready" one hour plus and task manager...: Windows 10 upgrade stuck at "Getting a few things ready" one hour plus and task manager showing 0% CPU usage, has the program stalled? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-upgrade-stuck-at-getting-a-few-things/27b61f76-ebce-4992-9e9f-ed3c930add94
  6. Windows 10 upgrade stuck at "Getting a few things ready" one hour plus and task manager...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Upgrade from 8.1 to Windows 10 fails tried all the usual things DISM Package Manager issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from 8.1 to Windows 10 fails tried all the usual things DISM Package Manager issue: Hi,Just got a computer with critical programs on it and want to update it to Windows 10 Pro.I did all the things you are supposed to do such as:update biosupdated all aspects of the existing Windows 8.1 systemRemoved all virus programsensured nothing else was runningused the...
  8. Upgrade from 8.1 to Windows 10 fails tried all the usual things DISM Package Manager issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 8.1 to Windows 10 fails tried all the usual things DISM Package Manager issue: Hi,Just got a computer with critical programs on it and want to update it to Windows 10 Pro.I did all the things you are supposed to do such as:update biosupdated all aspects of the existing Windows 8.1 systemRemoved all virus programsensured nothing else was runningused the...
  9. Upgrade from 8.1 to Windows 10 fails tried all the usual things DISM Package Manager issue

10. 11 things to do after installing or upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    11 things to do after installing or upgrading to Windows 11: [ATTACH]Here is a guide on things to do for those who have just installed or upgraded to Windows 11. Windows 11 is available for generic users provided that their PC meets the minimum requirement to run Windows 11. If you haven’t still upgraded to Windows 11, you can try...