Windows 10: Is the "Windows Old" folder needed?

Discus and support Is the "Windows Old" folder needed? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know this has probably been asked many times, but I can't find the thread? In the C:/ drive there is a folder named "Windows Old", is this folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Willabong, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Willabong Win User

Is the "Windows Old" folder needed?

I know this has probably been asked many times, but I can't find the thread? In the C:/ drive there is a folder named "Windows Old", is this folder needed, or can it be safely deleted?
    The reason I ask is because when I run a virus chexk, it takes almost twice as long as normal because of having to scan this folder?
    Any advice would be welcome?*Smile

:)

Willabong, Dec 12, 2016

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Dec 12, 2016
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Dec 12, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

When you upgrade Windows, like from Windows 7 or 8 to 10, it creates a folder on the C: drive called Windows.old. This folder has all of your previous documents, music, and Programs installed. You can copy any personal files out of this folder to your current C:\Users\YourUserName folder, and you can see what programs need to be reinstalled. Once you have recovered everything you want, you can safely delete this folder using Disk Cleanup

spunk, Dec 12, 2016
  5. Even after running Disk Cleanup there may be a few files left mostly they seem to be in the File Repository my Windows.old folder still had a folder

C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iaiogpioe.inf_x86_c535e9e128a87b49

Inside there was a file iaiogpioe.sys which I found was installed in Windows 10 but I guess was not registering or was corrupted or whatever
    I decided the safest way might be to simply update that driver and see if that 'unlocked' the version in Windows.old
    I searched around the web and found it was for GPIO Controller
    After creating a Macrium Reflect Image and a System Restore Point I went to
    Device Manager > System devices > GPIO Controller
    There were 3 listed but I selected the first and updated the driver, this updated all 3. I had to Restart for the changes to take effect.
    After the Restart the Windows.old folder was still there but iaiogpioe.sys was gone
    Happy days *Smile

So, some people suggest using 3rd party unlockers or taking ownership but forcing the delete seems a bit risky to me, I suggest you just search the web and find out what the file belongs to then try an update like I did

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Dec 12, 2016
  6. Willabong Win User
    Disk Cleanup does not display the Windows Old folder, so I cannot delete it? Trying to delete Windows Old via the standard ! Delete" function also doesn't work? Removing the folders from inside the Windows Old folder will allow some folders to be deleted, but not the Program files folders or the Windows (the one inside the Windows Old folder) folder?

Willabong, Dec 12, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Dec 12, 2016
  8. NocFA Win User

Windows.Old can only be deleted by system cleanup if system cleanup is run in administrator mode otherwise it will not show up, other tools such as ccleaner will also remove it but only if run as administrator.

NocFA, Dec 12, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    I think the windows.old folder will be automatically deleted after 31 days anyway.

Steve C, Dec 13, 2016
  10. Willabong Win User
    Thanks to everyone, all sorted!

Willabong, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is the "Windows Old" folder needed? - Similar Threads - Old folder needed

2. Unremovable old windows folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unremovable old windows folders: Hi,I want to delete some folders that I suspect used to be old windows folders.As you see, they're not in OS partition and were last modified in 2018. I tried MANY ways and read many topics to force delete them but windows refuse to delete them :So I wanted to ask if there is...
  3. Unremovable old windows folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unremovable old windows folders: Hi,I want to delete some folders that I suspect used to be old windows folders.As you see, they're not in OS partition and were last modified in 2018. I tried MANY ways and read many topics to force delete them but windows refuse to delete them :So I wanted to ask if there is...
  4. Windows old folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows old folder: I have updated Windows 10 to Windows 11 online. There is a folder contained named "Windows.old" which is occupied more than 14 GB of data. May I delete the folder? Please advise me....
  5. Windows old folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows old folder: I have updated Windows 10 to Windows 11 online. There is a folder contained named "Windows.old" which is occupied more than 14 GB of data. May I delete the folder? Please advise me....
  6. Windows 10 Old Folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Old Folder: What must I do to change admin or other to be able to delete this folder? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-old-folder/f4506226-42c7-4a84-985f-1191d0e5bb47"
  7. Bitlocker and windows old folder!

Bitlocker and windows old folder!: Hi. If i have bitlocker issue . And i do custom installation the system and files will be in Windows old folder!!? If yes is there way to just read those files?...
  8. windows 7 old folder

windows 7 old folder: I am using windows 10 and I want to uninstall windows 7 old folder. seems I don't permission. Please Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-old-folder/74bb01c6-1cce-41e4-b852-ea70360170da"
  9. Old Windows folder delete

Old Windows folder delete: I just installed win 10 . I have 2 more drives with Win7 OS( Windows folders) in them. I am trying to delete these folders in vain. I am logged in as administrator. Any ideas?...
  10. Re- Windows Old Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Re- Windows Old Folder: Hi There , My name is Jamie Bratcher- I have an old windows folder from when my windows did the update when I did a factory reset- it had automatically updated to the new October windows update- and my laptop doesn't like it can some one please let me know the exact number of...