Windows 10: Is there a Photo Tag Editor that has this specific feature?

Discus and support Is there a Photo Tag Editor that has this specific feature? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm organizing all my photos right now. I have one folder where the "Date" column is correct with the date/time the photo was taken. Most of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by vice86, Oct 19, 2016.

1. vice86 Win User

Is there a Photo Tag Editor that has this specific feature?

I'm organizing all my photos right now. I have one folder where the "Date" column is correct with the date/time the photo was taken.

Most of my images have the "Date taken" info correct to but some of them are blank. I need to fill this in because once all my photos are backed up to Google Photos and if i need to download a photo it ends up changing the correct "Date" to the new date it was downloaded. It doesn't touch "Date taken" so that's good at least.

Is there any app out there where you can tell it to fill in Date Taken with the info from Date? I know I can use the old app Exifer to manually enter Date Taken info but that's going to take forever. Would be way easier to just be able to copy over Date to Date Taken.

I know I can batch select same dates then go to properties and details and fill in the Date Taken there too but the issue with that is it changes the time to the current time you're filling in the Date Taken info.

:)

vice86, Oct 19, 2016
  2. skishor Win User

Belle Feature Pack 2

i have upgraded my nokia 701 to fp2

it is not batter than fp1

-no GEO TAGGING for images captured

-no direct access to photo editor (there is a photo editor with less aminities available from galery

-no arrow key in key board

-useless feture of hindi typing

you can say that only view has changed to batter....that is not sufficient

skishor, Oct 19, 2016
  3. Entegy Win User
    Win 10 disable auto rotate photos?

Starting with Windows 8, the built-in photo editor started respecting the rotation tag set by the camera. So be sure to be holding the camera correctly when taking a photo.

Entegy, Oct 19, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

As you mentioned, you can use Windows File Explorer/File Explorer Search to select the photos you want to edit the EXIF data for and then use Properties > Details from the right-click menu and put a date into the 'Date Taken' field.

However as you also mentioned Microsoft don't allow you to adjust the time. With old scanned photos this is particularly problematic because quite often the exact date isn't known and therefore an approximate year is used as 'Date Taken' for lots of photos (I.E. Date Taken = 1970.06.01). But without being able to adjust the time, it will use it's own timestamps and therefore when viewing the photos in something like the Windows Photos app that uses 'Date Taken', the order it will display the photos in will be all over the place.

When I looked for Batch EXIF editing software a while ago, I didn't come across anything that suited my needs, so I ended up forgoing a user interface and using a command-line tool called ExifTool instead. ExifTool is capable, but it's not for the faint hearted, the website/documentation even less so... However, if you don't mind using this type of tool from Command Prompt, then maybe the below will help.

1) Download "Windows Executable: exiftool-10.30.zip" from this link:
    ExifTool by Phil Harvey

2) Extract "exiftool(-k).exe" from the zip file, save it somewhere and rename it to "exiftool.exe" for command-line use.

Is there a Photo Tag Editor that has this specific feature? [​IMG]

3) Put the photos that are all going to be of the same 'Date Taken' in the same folder. I.E.

1970.12.25 Christmas
    1971.03.15 Peter Pan's Wedding
    1971.06.20 Holiday in Timbuktu

4) Whilst in that folder, hold the Shift Key and Right-Click mouse, then select 'Open Command Window Here' to open the command prompt at that folder location

5) Use the following code:

IMPORTANT: Make a copy of the folder and do a dummy run first. That way you will have a copy of the original folder you can always go back to if you don't like the results.

Code: "C:\Users\USERNAME\Software\ExifTool\ExifTool 10.28\exiftool" -overwrite_original -datetimeoriginal="1971:01:30 00:01:00" . "C:\Users\USERNAME\Software\ExifTool\ExifTool 10.28\exiftool" -overwrite_original -fileOrder FileName "-datetimeoriginal+<00:00$filesequence" .[/quote]
    Note:
    Change the above paths to exiftool (C:\Users\USERNAME\Software\ExifTool\ExifTool 10.28\exiftool) to match the path where you saved the exiftool executable.

Change "datetimeoriginal" to the date the photos were taken

What the above code does is goes through the photos in the folder in File Name order (Hence the -fileOrder FileName) and changes the date taken to 1971.01.30 at 00:01, then goes to the next image in the folder and changes the date taken to 1971.01.30 at 00:02, then the next and changes the date taken to 1971.01.30 at 00:03... and so on. Although the times aren't obviously accurate, the minute increments will put the photos in a sequential order.

It's done in this way for two reasons, firstly for me all my digital images already have the correct 'Date Taken' field, so this is targeted specifically towards scanned images. Secondly, I've always found file timestamps such as Date Created, Date Modified and Date Accessed to be largely unreliable to base batch processing off, so I would use my own dates even if it meant that it's more time consuming. That said, you may be able to find a way to use filemodifydate to populate the Date Taken field, but like I said it's not something I've wanted to use. ExifTool has also has it's own forum if you can't find what you're looking for on Google Search.

6) The 'Date Taken' field will now show the date taken, with time in minute increments so they display in the correct order in applications that use 'Date Taken'.

Something to be aware of, ExifTool is only 32-bit, therefore if your photos need dating before 1 January 1970 (or after 19 January 2038) it's a bit more complicated as you will need to install ActivePerl and then use the Perl version of ExifTool. As the Perl version is 64-bit it can handle dates before 1 January 1970. Installing the 'Full Perl Distribution' instructions can be found HERE.

ARC1020, Oct 19, 2016
  5. ARC1020 Win User
    Following on from the above post, the code below should create a 'Date Taken' field from the file 'Date Modified' timestamp, however I haven't tested this extensively.

As per the above caution, always make a copy of the folder(s) first and do dummy runs first to make sure it's behaving exactly as required before using it on real data. Keep the original folder/files safe, that way you will have a copy of the original folder you can always go back to if you don't like the results.

Also as previously mentioned, you're going to need to be incredibly careful to make sure the 'Date Taken' dates it's populating are actually correct. I've always found file timestamps such as Date Created, Date Modified and Date Accessed to be really, really unreliable and not much good for anything to be honest. Because of this I recommend that you don't do it this way. My recommendation is still to do it manually as shown previously, because although the time itself maybe incorrect, at least it won't show a completely different date altogether.

Code: "C:\Users\USERNAME\Software\ExifTool\ExifTool 10.28\exiftool" -ext jpg -ext tif -if "not $DateTimeOriginal" -overwrite_original "-datetimeoriginal<filemodifydate" .[/quote]
    Take care not to miss the dot right at the end

I put -if "not $DateTimeOriginal" in there as a precautionary measure which *should* prevent it from overwriting the 'Date Taken' field on any photos that already have a 'Date Taken' field populated.

-ext jpg -ext tif means it will only apply to JPEG and TIFF files with those file extensions.

ARC1020, Oct 19, 2016
  6. vice86 Win User
    thanks guys for the huge amount of info! Yeah, command line sounds scary but ill definitely give it a try. I'm surprised there isn't an app that lets you fill in fields with info from other fields easily like say MP3Tag does with MP3s.

vice86, Oct 20, 2016
  7. ARC1020 Win User
    The problem is where will it get the date from?

If there's no 'Date Taken' field, then I don't know of a reliable place that software will be able to get a 'Date Taken' date from. As soon as a user does anything to photos such as rotate them, edit them, save-as, move them from one drive to another, etc. the Date Created, Date Modified and Date Accessed dates change.

Looking at my photos for example, the 'Date Created' and 'Date Accessed' dates all show 2 October 2016 (which is when I last installed Windows). And 'Date Modified' dates, although a bit more reliable, also can't be trusted. I'm looking at digital photos taken before 2010, but show February 2014 as the 'Date Modified' date (I have no idea why). Even something as simple as adding EXIF tags, or just rotating a photo in the Photos app is enough to change the 'Date Modified' date.

So none of those dates can be trusted as a reliable source for the 'Date Taken' date, therefore the date would have to come from some other metadata, but as far as I am aware, there isn't any other universal field that can reliably be used for this. And of course, with scanned images no metadata will be able to give a 'Date Taken' date, that always requires an 'organic computer'.

ARC1020, Oct 20, 2016
  8. Barman58 Win User

Take a look at adobe Bridge It should be able to find the date and other metadata and allow you to manipulate it as you want (it's free BTW)

I use it's big brother Lightroom and I use the embedded data to automatically create my file structure based on Date taken on import, I also name files based on data and time taken. Obviously I deal with RAW images rather than JPEG or the like so may have better control but hopefully Bridge will do enough to help

I only view my images within Lightroom so the fact that an Image is named 2016-10-17.11-55-09-Edit.jpg is not that important as I see the name of the file contained in the metadata not the filename, the structure of the filename does help with sorting of course *Wink

Barman58, Oct 20, 2016
  9. Barman58 Win User
    As you are familiar with phil harvey's Exif Tool you could also look at the old program GeoSetter to see if it meets your needs better ( it's a graphical front end that uses ExifTool )

Barman58, Oct 20, 2016
  10. ARC1020 Win User
    If you're dealing with camera RAW images, then you already have the 'Date Taken' field, so there's no need to add it. The OP has photos without any 'Date Taken' fields and wants to automatically create them. But if there's no 'Date Taken' metadata in the first place, where can software reliably get the true date?

Here's an example from within Adobe Bridge:

I too name my files in reverse date order, however more and more programs (such as the Windows Photo app) ignore file names and use the 'Date Taken' field instead. So the 'Date Taken' field is pretty important, even for scanned images or digital art files to make sure they are always shown in the correct chronological order. But the date also needs to be accurate, not just taken from Date Created, Date Modified and Date Accessed and hope for the best. Which is where the problem lies for the OP because he wants to batch process a load of images which may or may not have correct dates to take a 'Date taken' date from. That's why I think he needs to go through them manually because computer software won't know if the 'Date Modified' dates are correct or not.

ARC1020, Oct 20, 2016
  11. Barman58 Win User
    The need for a large amount of manual input is a "given" with any situation where the data is either corrupted, wrong or missing *Smile

I suggested what I did as both options use a graphical interface which is more user friendly, and the "organic computer" can use visual clues to sort and tag the images more efficiently than a command line option.

The initial dating metadata can be added to future new images, as they are transferred into the library, once the initial manual sort has taken place - Both options I suggested have manual build options for metadata that is not present automatically when the files are imported and once a template is built this should hopefully minimise the manual entries

Barman58, Oct 20, 2016
  12. vice86 Win User
    Well most of the photos have the correct date and time under the DATE column. If you could say with some command "Take from Date and add to Date Taken" that would make this infinitely easier.

vice86, Oct 21, 2016
  13. vice86 Win User

The EASIEST solution would be to not be so OCD, batch select the same "Date" and just edit Date Taken through properties and say to hell with the time being correct...but it would just bug me.

vice86, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a Photo Tag Editor that has this specific feature? - Similar Threads - Photo Tag Editor

2. Tags unavailable for various files specifically photos and videos in File explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Tags unavailable for various files specifically photos and videos in File explorer: I wish to tag my images and videos.Some files have them available:Others don't:The entire description box is unavailable, and the origin section has a single entry.Both files are of the same type and have the same source.What is the reason, and is there a solution to add tags...
  3. Tagging photos

in Windows 10 Support
    Tagging photos: Hello i need a program to search through my photo collection and do facial recognition, so will be presented with all photos that have Fred which I identified from a previous photo. Once I have all the Fred photos displayed, then by selecting all I can add the TAG Fred to the...
  4. Photo tags

Photo tags: Good day team I have an HP laptop with windows 10 Trying to change tags in photos After making changes the old tags return Ray https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-tags/93dae9f7-df07-4b75-98cd-69ba1807e405
  5. Photo tags

Photo tags: In a previous version of Microsoft photo gallery I tagged 31 gig worth of pictures using the provided face recognition technology. After restoring from a back up hard drive into a new computer, I can not find any of my tag info. Where is it? Why does it not display in...
  6. Tagging people in photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tagging people in photos: I note most of the comments around this topic do not give a resolution - they are around 12 months old - has Windows not yet addressed this? Still can't tag people faces by name and search for just pictures with them in it?...
  7. Photo Tagging

Photo Tagging: Tagging photo was a breeze in my now defunct Picasa. I Have Photoshop Elements but the photo Organizer is buggy as hell. My question is how I tag a photo or a group of phots in Microsoft Photos Windows 10. Thanks....
  8. Tagging photos/videos say Not Tagged

Tagging photos/videos say Not Tagged: I've been using photo gallery to tag and organize photos and videos successfully for some time now. Unfortunately, now after tagging it still sorts everything as "Not tagged" instead of organizing by their correct tagging. Is this a bug?...
  9. Tagging Photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tagging Photos: I have a lot of untagged photos on One Drive. Is there a way I can tag multiple photos at once? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tagging-photos/35479a17-c720-4a4d-b523-f0fe2a96a375
  10. Metadata & Tags in photos

Metadata & Tags in photos: I have a folder of 250 photos with various tags applied to each of them. The photos are at full resolution. I need to down res the 250 photos and place in another folder. If I resize these photos but keep the same photo names, is it possible to copy the metadata tags and...