Windows 10: Is there a reason to configure an office printer with a dynamic IP address instead of static?

Discus and support Is there a reason to configure an office printer with a dynamic IP address instead of static? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Ok this is my first question; remember I am a newbie to IT. Yesterday I had an on-site printer call, and the fix was very simple however I noticed he... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Judith McCarty, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Is there a reason to configure an office printer with a dynamic IP address instead of static?

Ok this is my first question; remember I am a newbie to IT. Yesterday I had an on-site printer call, and the fix was very simple however I noticed he had a printer getting 169.x.x.x which of course is an APPIPA address. I always configured printers with static IP addresses. That printer we actually deleted because he had every printer, he ever had still showing so we deleted all of the one's he wasn't using, however, would there be a scenario where a dynamic IP works for a printer? I always assumed they should be static so that they can always be reached, and you didn't have to worry about DHC

:)

Judith McCarty, Feb 21, 2024
  2. BulldogXX Win User

How do I find the ip address for my canon pixma printer

The IP address is assigned automatically by your router using a protocol called DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol.) The word 'Dynamic' means it can change at any time, so your printer's IP might be different every time you check it.

Many people don't know that networked devices can also have a 'static' - i.e., fixed - IP address. That's particularly useful for a printer, because it makes it easy for you and your software to find the printer on the network.

• You'll need to know your printer's MAC address, which looks like this: 12:ab:12:ab:12:ab:12:ab
    • Open your router's administration console and find the network map
    • In the network map find your printer's MAC address and right next to it you'll see the IP address assigned by the router.

There may be other ways to find the IP address, but the above method always works.

Another advantage to giving your printer a static IP address is that you can type that address into your web browser to see the printer's own administration console.

EDIT:

Canon includes a utility called the Canon IJ Network Tool. Open that, and from the Settings menu select Configuration. You'll see the printer's (current) IP address.

BulldogXX, Feb 21, 2024
  3. How to print to dynamic IP printer

The PC is NOT connected straight to the internet. Your IP addresses (all beginning with 10.) prove the point.
    A 10. address cannot exist on the internet. Instead, 10. addresses belong to a local LAN. This is as it should be.

You say that the printer has a dynamic address: 192.168.1.110
    But a printer should have a static address. You don't want it to change! Not ever!
    Get your colleague to set that up properly.

margrave55, Feb 21, 2024
  4. bencrutz Win User

Is there a reason to configure an office printer with a dynamic IP address instead of static?

Assigning Static IP Address Range in a Router

yep, pretty much all.

for point #2 if you are having difficulty binding static IP in the router, it is ok to set static IP in the camera instead - just make sure you take a note on which IP is which camera so that you wouldnt put the wrong IP in the port forwarding.

am not sure what you meant. you don't need ddns to access the camera locally (from inside your LAN) *Confused Is there a reason to configure an office printer with a dynamic IP address instead of static? :confused:

bencrutz, Feb 21, 2024
Thema:

Is there a reason to configure an office printer with a dynamic IP address instead of static?

1. Is there a reason to configure an office printer with a dynamic IP address instead of static? - Similar Threads - reason configure office

2. Is there a reason to configure an office printer with a dynamic IP address instead of static?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a reason to configure an office printer with a dynamic IP address instead of static?: Ok this is my first question; remember I am a newbie to IT. Yesterday I had an on-site printer call, and the fix was very simple however I noticed he had a printer getting 169.x.x.x which of course is an APPIPA address. I always configured printers with static IP addresses....
  3. How do I assign static ip address to Canon printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I assign static ip address to Canon printer: I am running Windows 11. I had to buy a new printer when I switched to Windows 11. I purchased the Canon g7020. It has been fine until two days ago. It works then later it will show it as offline. If turn off the printer and turn it on again, it will start working. Trying to...
  4. Printer IP address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer IP address: Hp printer ip address changed suddenly. How to reset it to my laptop ip address. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-ip-address/e0c4af31-bee2-4b80-8979-44d88eaeb60a
  5. Printer IP address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer IP address: Hp printer ip address changed suddenly. How to reset it to my laptop ip address. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-ip-address/e0c4af31-bee2-4b80-8979-44d88eaeb60a
  6. Static IP Address for Microsoft Azure

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Static IP Address for Microsoft Azure: Is there a static IP address for login.microsoftonline.com. Our tools are using Azure Active Directory to authenticate users and our customers have firewall to filter unwanted traffic. I don't see a static IP address for login.microsoftonline.com to allow it through the...
  7. printer ip address

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    printer ip address: iv gone to the control , did right click still nothing. think maybe I should update my windows. would that help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-ip-address/fa33bdee-8ee0-4b97-afed-2526ea67571f
  8. Setting a persistent static IP address?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting a persistent static IP address?: Backstory: My HTPC runs Windows 10. Most of the time it's just running Kodi, but I also have a samba/network share up so that I can access my Music folder from around the house on my phone or laptop. The IP on that computer was previously set to a static IP (192.168.1.100,...
  9. IP Configuration address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IP Configuration address: How would I find the correct IP Configuration address for my Windows 10 laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ip-configuration-address/87e0e87f-4f02-4b5e-acfd-941a041957ef
  10. Dynamic IP auto changed to static

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dynamic IP auto changed to static: Something very weird happened to me and I can't find a solution anywhere. I was working with the Bash shell in Azure, manipulating my VM on Google Chrome. On other tabs were just research through random websites about mysql as well as azure. The only other program I had open...